Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

27 year old female. Surgery planned for August 2017.

Why such a long wait for surgery?

-sigh- I live in Taiwan and the national health insurance will cover part of it but only if I have had a documented weight loss attempt with the hospital for six months and failed to lose weight.

So I just went to my first appointment for that two days ago. And I should be finished in June. And then I have two weeks off from work for our summer vacation in august or maybe July. So I'll do the surgery then. Maybe take a week off before so I have theee weeks to do it and heal.

The weight loss counseling is a joke. They just take my vitals and tell me how much weight to lose by next time. The nutritionist doesn't speak English and all her suggestions are about Taiwanese food which is gross and i don't eat. She barely spoke English. From what I understood she lectured me on drinking sweet bubble tea which I don't drink and told me to eat half a banana....at some point? So yeah. Six more months of that bs.

I'm going to need some strong recomendations for post surgery nutrition counseling because I'm not getting it from my hospital.

Well you are in the right place to get some good nutritional advice.

So basically you have to spend 6 months trying to lose weight, knowing you won't lose weight because their program sucks?

Well you are in the right place to get some good nutritional advice.

So basically you have to spend 6 months trying to lose weight, knowing you won't lose weight because their program sucks?

Yep. My surgeon even straight up told me that this program never works for people who want the surgery but we have to do it if I want insurance.

And also I have to fail this program for the surgery to cover it. So like, I feel like I shouldn't even try to lose weight because i really want this surgery and I can't afford it without insurance.

That being said, I am trying to eat less sugar because I know I'm addicted. Trying to introduce more foods that i know I'll need post surgery. Trying to gain a taste for Protein powders. Stuff like that. I'm open to more suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know what you mean. My insurance to requires 6 months documented weight loss attempt. My surgeon wants me to lose a minimum of 12lbs before the surgery. I'm like dude, in 6 months I can lose, and regain 12 lbs 6 times. Hell I could lose 50lbs in 6 months Then have regained 70 by 12. months.

So right now I'm no going o concern or stress myself about those 12lbs. All I've done so far is cut out all soft drinks, drink 32 to 64 oz Water a day. I also occasionally replace a lunch for a Protein Shake. Thankfully my insurance doesn't require me to lose a weight. So far I'm maintaining my current weight,

I'll keep doing this for the nest 3 months, then I'll seriously work on the 12lbs *eye roll* I could probably take a good shit and lose 12 lbs lol jk

Lol! I wish I didn't have to worry so much about weight. I keep hearing horror stories about people being denied for having gained weight and then my doctor saying to lose 1 lb a month. I am 4 lbs away from being under 40 BMI so I am obsessive about my weight. I literally layer on clothes for my weigh in and shed them until I get the right number on the scale.< /p>

Haha, I left my winter boots, and clothes on as well. I'm also happy that my office rounds up weight and bmi. First time I've ever been happy about it.

Yep. My surgeon even straight up told me that this program never works for people who want the surgery but we have to do it if I want insurance.
And also I have to fail this program for the surgery to cover it. So like, I feel like I shouldn't even try to lose weight because i really want this surgery and I can't afford it without insurance.
That being said, I am trying to eat less sugar because I know I'm addicted. Trying to introduce more foods that i know I'll need post surgery. Trying to gain a taste for Protein powders. Stuff like that. I'm open to more suggestions.
Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I can make one suggestion, I am not having surgery until June, but I have been trying different Protein Shakes and finally found one that tastes like regular chocolate milk! Its Jay Robb whey Protein shakes. I got them online! Good luck.

Oh snap, congrats! I hope my surgery will be in august as well. September at the latest. I found out my clinic will my 41 bmi to my insurance company no matter how much I lose before surgery. Now I'm excited and plan to lose at least 20lbs. Can't wait until we're ALL on the losers bench!