Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it's worth it....

Someone please tell me it will all be worth it?

My surgery is scheduled for Feb 1st. I'm excited even though a few are against it. I.e.: co-workers who either weigh 100 lbs wet or who are 100 or more lbs overweight themselves.

I will admit at 5'5 and 246lbs I do hide my weight well but the countless other health issues behind it, I don't care what I look like! I care how I feel!

But learning that my $2500 insurance deductible with BCBS of MI rolls over in January not August anymore and I am already $900 out of pocket, and to my knowledge about $1000 out of budget on what I had set aside for surgery... the only thing that's losing weight is my bank account!

I meet for my pre-op surgery next month on the 16th and I'm scared of what they will bill me with next.

Is there anyone else feeling the pressure of paying for all of this? Or anyone who knows if there are payment plans, grants or scholarships for this?

I mean my only option here is becoming a part time belly or pole dancer after surgery to afford surgery! Lol

I'm sorry but I can't talk to family and friends about this because I am already too far in to be told I shouldn't go through with this.

Suggestions and encouragement are welcomed! Thank you!☺

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by danithomas

Do you have a 401k at work? If so, you can borrow from that. Not a premature withdrawal but a loan. Really low interest and your paying yourself back through payroll deduction.

Yes I actually just changed jobs (after 10 years) so I have to wait a year to enroll with the new company. I have some of that money left (after they taxed the heck out of me) that I rolled into an IRA account. But very good suggestion. Thank you!!

I don't have any ideas for you but feel your pain, I am at my out of pocket Cap for the year so I don't have to pay as much if I get the surgery before Jan 1. I am currently scheduled for Dec 30 but nervous of anything that could cause a delay because a delay would mean I have to figure out how to cover more cost.

I had the exact same copay through BCBS. I saved as much of my money as I could before my surgery day. I was sleeved November 7th and I'm just shy of thirty pounds lost. I have a new zest for living and a deeper sense of purpose. I'm able to exercise 60 minutes a day and know I'm well on my way to the best version of myself. I too was very very overwhelmed with my copay but if you want something enough chase it. It's worth it. Breathe and remind yourself why you want this so bad.

It is worth every single penny you invest. Getting your health back is the main priority but you just dont realize how many other things come with the weight loss. Getting your confidence back, caring about how you look and feel.

When i made the decision to have surgery, it was all about the health issues. I never expected to feel as great as I do.

Figure out how you can make it work. It sounds like you have some funds available. It is so worth it! Every hoop, every bump......every step. 100% worth it.

I wish you the best of luck!

I think one of the things that convinced me to have surgery (aside from the very real health risks of obesity) is that overweight people tend to earn less money at work.

I don't have the stats off the top of my head but it's frustrating. People look at you and assume that because you can't control your weight you must be lazy.

This makes the investment even more worth while for me. I know this doesn't answer your initial question of how to get the money for surgery, but it is another reason to have the surgery.

Good luck with everything!

If I get approved quickly, my remainder for the year is $83. If it rolls into 2017, I plan on using my FSA (flexible spending accout) Visa that I have thru my employer that covers medical, vision and dental expenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using the BariatricPal App

Totally worth every penny.

I was able to use my flexible spending account last year. I got lucky as my deductible last year was $1100, this year it is $3500! My hairdresser was able to get a loan through the local credit union that was next door to the bariatric clinic. She calls it her "skinny" payment.

Good luck to you.