Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 weeks, abnormal Glucose test

Hello! I'm new here! I'm 30 weeks pregnant, and after taking that horrible glucose test, both 1 hr and 3 hr, they both came back abnormal. They referred me out to a high risk doctor, and said I had gestational diabetes based on my results of the 3 he test. post-308273-14818437152496_thumb.jpg

Question??? Are these results normal for someone who had the sleeve surgery, or is it truly gestational diabetes?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Gestational diabetes is common in pregnant women. It usually completely goes away after pregnancy. A common trigger is milk products and carbs especially in the morning.

Gestational diabetes is very normal, if you feel distrustful of your doctor, get a second opinion but no need to panic, good luck with the pregnancy, all the best ????

Sent from my SM-G900FD using the BariatricPal App

Edited by linah

Gestational Diabetes is common but because a significant number of women who get it will develop type 2 diabetes later in life you should continue to meet monitor your blood sugar with randomly weekly checks. Although normal weight people get type 2, keeping your weight down will greatly reduce your risk.

If your doctor hasn't already told you you need to be on a low carb 1600 calorie a day diet to prevent an overly large baby resulting in a c-section. Babies typically gain about 1/2 pound a day the last 8- 10 weeks of pregnancy, babies of diabetic mothers gain more that's why they have such high birth weights.

Pounds a week! Not pounds a day.

I had abnormal results as well for my one hour glucose test. My ob is wondering if the test is skewed because of my surgery. She told me to ask my surgeon and he told me to ask her. Passing the buck at its finest!! She doesn't want to give me the 3 hour test because of the risk me getting very sick.

I failed the one hour test. Got super nauseous, shakey, hot and sweaty, dizzy. My family doc gave me a lab requisition to do a two hour test. Before I had a chance to do it I was referred to my OB. My OB immediately said the results for my first test were high enough I did not need to do the second one and diagnosed me with GD. I thought this was ridiculous. My BMI is under 25. I had only put on about 15 lbs at 28 weeks. And according to our last ultrasound our baby was measuring slightly below average. So I decided to take the lab req and do the second test hoping it would come back fine and my OB would change his mind. Well I managed to get the liquid down in the five minute time frame but ten mins later I had my head in the garbage can. So much for that plan!

I now have to check my blood sugar levels four times a day... kinda sucks but I know it's to protect the baby and it'll force me to make smarter eating choices as well.

They should not have you done that test because it will make you do exactlt what you did . My GB surgeon told me that were not supposed to because automatically that will be rejected by our bodies and you will have that sugar reaction

Sent from my LG-TP450 using BariatricPal mobile app