Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon Recommends Full Bypass

I had my first of 3 surgeon visits today. I had pretty much decided I wanted the sleeve because I'm nervous about the whole retorting of stuff. I'm 241 lbs and my goal weight is 150. The surgeon surprised me when he recommended the full bypass saying he didn't think I'd get to my goal with the sleeve (said would probably reach about 160) and that most patients regain about 20 pounds. He said with the full I would probably get to around 140 and may regain around 10 putting me around my goal. He was very nice and said he would do either but wanted me to research it and consider it. Looking by for any experiences. Anyone had the sleeve and wished they had the full or vice versa?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I initially wanted the sleeve thinking bypass was too drastic, but because of GERD I wasn't left with too many options so bypass it was. I had surgery exactly 9 months ago, HW 261, SW 242, and currently 142. No regrets here at all. The only difference is can see from sleeve is that I really have to watch my sugar intake, too much (like a bowl of ice cream) and I'll get sick. I can still eat anything however. I'm an impatient person and the results were quick, so I'm glad I was able to have the bypass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

I was going back and forth, I thought the bypass was a little too aggressive, rerouting the digestive system and all. But I have a history of reflux, so the sleeve might have had aggravated that. I was on the fence about it, but my auto-immune made the decision for me, because I have to retain the option to take NSAIDs and steroids as needed, and sleevers can take them if the benefits outweigh the risks but bypass patients really can't. So my medical team and I decided to take a chance on the reflux and go with the sleeve. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had more reflux, and my weight loss is going well. I've seen plenty of people who had weight loss equivalent to the bypass predictions with the sleeve. I think it's more what you do with the tool than the tool itself, frankly.

I am 3 years out from my RNY. Here are my STATS: HW 249(this time I managed to lose 36#'s and kept it off) SW 232 LW 117 CW 125#'s. I got below my goal in 6 months, but I did gain 8#'s back. I have maintained my 124# loss for 2 and 1/2 years. I used to be on Insulin 2 times a day plus pills for my diabetes. I am off all meds for that. I use to take 12 different meds a day. Now I take 4 plus my Vitamins. People who say that the RNY is just too invasive I would ask them how much invasive is taking 80% of your stomach out? IT is gone kapoot. Both surgeries are a tool to help us get to where we want to be. We do the WORK!!! Either will more than likely get you where you want to be if you put in the work. It is NOT easy but so very worth it!!

I think people can be successful with either surgery, but your surgeon is right that bypass patients have a statistically higher likelihood of success. I also think that you should try to make your decision based on medical and scientific factors rather than emotional ones such as "having your intestines cut and re-routed is icky and scary" or "I don't want my stomach to burn up in a medical waste incinerator!" or whatever other emotional factors might be at play. This is a medical decision you are making, so consult with your surgeon about things like:

--statistical likelihood of success and how important it is to you personally to reach and maintain a certain weight;

--whether you have GERD that might be exacerbated by the sleeve (or fixed with a hiatal hernia repair);

--are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? If so, gastric bypass has better stats for resolving it

--do you need to retain the ability to take NSAIDS or other meds that might be contraindicated with gastric bypass?

--do you have intestinal problems such as Crohns or ulcerative colitis that might make bypass surgery difficult?

etc etc. Good luck!

Thank you! For me it's not an ick factor. I'm a nurse so not much icks me out lol. I had to have an emergency hysterectomy 15 years ago due to a uterine rvuture and several repair surgeries after that. I swore back then I'd have to be dying to let someone cut on me. I finally realized I was dying slowly with this weight. But am still nervous about more aggressive treatment. My other recoveries were so difficult. I honestly think it traumatized me. I have tons of scar tissue. I have no underlying medical issues yet . I do have tons of scar tissue though and struggle with chronic Constipation. Just get nervous thinking about them messing with my bowels anymore. Surgeon was confident the prior surgeries wouldn't be an issue. Even said he was 99% sure he could still do it laparoscopically. I definitely want the best outcome possible. Part of me says get me to 160-180 and I'll do the rest. But honestly, if I'm being honest, I haven't done that up until now. And if I'm going to do this I definitely want the best possible outcome. But almost dying on an OR table changes you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had bypass and lost 152lbs, almost half my body weight. I chose it because of the reflux and I will say that I was struggling with Constipation for a while but doctor put me on linzess and I no longer have issues with that at all.

I know that you are a nurse so maybe you have thought about this, but in my opinion both surgeries are pretty aggressive. One removes the remainder of your stomach, the other reroutes your digestive system.

I have not had any trouble with my RNY and am very happy I had it done.

Best of luck to you!

I was going back and forth, I thought the bypass was a little too aggressive, rerouting the digestive system and all. But I have a history of reflux, so the sleeve might have had aggravated that. I was on the fence about it, but my auto-immune made the decision for me, because I have to retain the option to take NSAIDs and steroids as needed, and sleevers can take them if the benefits outweigh the risks but bypass patients really can't. So my medical team and I decided to take a chance on the reflux and go with the sleeve. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had more reflux, and my weight loss is going well. I've seen plenty of people who had weight loss equivalent to the bypass predictions with the sleeve. I think it's more what you do with the tool than the tool itself, frankly.

Can I ask what autoimmune disease you have? I have Systemic Lupus. My surgeon recommended the sleeve as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using the BariatricPal App

My doctor suggested a rny. Mine was a revision to a band. He favours rny because it is the only one with truly long term results right now. Also I had gerd with the band so I agreed it was my preference. I'm just over 2 months out and no issues. nothing I haven't been able to eat, but I have not really tried sugar other than a taste of my hubby's dessert. Sleeve was the backup if there was too much scar tissue for the rny.

I was scheduled for RNY. When I woke from surgery I was told I was given the sleeve due to twisted intestines. I will have to work harder to lose the weight. It will also take longer to lose. However I have had no issues with the sleeve. It's definitely better than nothing!

Can I ask what autoimmune disease you have? I have Systemic Lupus. My surgeon recommended the sleeve as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using the BariatricPal App

I was first diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, recently my Rheumy stayed suspecting psoriatic arthritis. Not sure if that's a change of diagnosis our a secondary one.

sent from mobile device

I had initially considered the sleeve, but after discussing things with my surgeon, because of my bad acid reflux, it was decided that I would have RnY.

I can say that since my surgery almost two months ago, I have had NO incidences of GERD, and I am so happy about that.

I used to wake up in the night with acid that had traveled up my esophagus and into the back of my throat, and I'd have a horrible, painful coughing attack. No longer.

I like that I got an RnY, because of the extra restriction. I know what my limits are, and I've labeled simple refined carbs as The Enemy, so I do what I'm supposed to do, and eat my Protein first, and if I had room for carbs thereafter, THEN (and only then) do I eat them.

I first asked about a band but because of GERD my surgeon recommended RNY which I had in July this year. Since the surgery I have had no GERD at all and am delighted. I am also diabetic and now off all insulin and only on metformin. My blood pressure meds have halved and my inflammatory arthritis which I would take several different meds for is pretty much gone. I am just on one medication for the arthritis .. one that works on the immune system to suppress it attacking my joints.

One thing that persuaded mme to the RNY was the knowledge that with a sleeve they take out the part of the stomach that is excised but in RNY they leave it all in there. For me that was important because I have a very close friend who had oesophagus cancer and they used her stomach to form a new oesophagus for her. I figured that if I still had the remainder of my stomach inside me it could be used if I ever needed it for anything.