Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience with Dr Huacuz or the Molding Clinic in Tijuana?

Guest strikeuptheband

I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut. There was some things I liked and a few I did not like. The doctor that I went to for my fill in the U.S. said that I had the swedish band but then he looked at the paperwork and said no it is the inamed band. How will I ever find out the truth. When I e-mailed Dr. R reguarding this situation he never responded back. I do like LITENFREE WEBSITE and Anna the patient rep Anna she is very helpful with my questions.

I don't know Dr Rumbaut personally, but from what I've heard about him from patients and other medical professionals, you can bet he's on the up and up. He has an impeccable reputation.

I had surgery at the Molding Clinic and I would never go any where else. Andres is such a wonderful, caring person who is always there for you. The Doctors are very professional and do an excellent job and the facility is new and very clean. Yes, it is more of an outpatient clinic but banded is an outpatient type of surgery. You will stay 1 night in the facility in a beautiful new room, 24 nursing care and then you go to a beautiful hotel not far from the facility. The care is excellent and I am planning plastic surgery there very soon for I am 70 lbs. down and only 40 more to go for plastic surgery. Andres is my new best friend. He is a loving, caring person and only has your health at heart. God Bless you all and I pray you find the right place for you and I highly recommend the Molding Clinic. Susan ;)

I am doing some research on Lapband. Does Molding use "lapBand" or other brands? I live in Florida, and was wondering if anyone has had problems with finding a U.S. doctor to give the fills? Any info would be much appreciated.

Hi, I used Molding clinic. I went with the midband and there isn't a dr who will do my fills here in florida or even see me for that matter. I know that though in advance that I would have to go back to Tj for aftercare since I was getting the midband. They do however offer the "Lapband" I was very happy with Andres and Dr Hacuaz. good luck!

I am just curious, why did you choose to have anything other than Lapband? What part of Florida do you live?

Well, here's the scoop. I am going to Molding next Tueday 22nd to get banded. I can't wait. I am very worried and scared, but surgery is not new to me. This is a huge leap of faith for me. Everything in the past has failed me, or I should say I faild it.

I do not understand about Andres misrepresenting himself. Can someone please explain that to me. Kat

Hey Kat, I am in the Tampa area. I chose the midband because I didn't mind going over to TJ for aftercare and It is from Johnson and Johnson. I have heard conflicting stories about it getting approved in the US. I also chose it because it was a little less expensive but in my opinion from the explainations I got just as good as the one from Inamed. I am sure others would disagree but that is just my opinion. As far as Andres, he has been there for me every single time I have called or emailed. He even mailed me some meds I needed. I've been back for a fill and had another wonderful experience. I think He used to be involved with some other clinic that had some issues. I personally like him a lot and I really like Dr Huacuz. He is very attentive and very caring.

Leo is right. I also have the french midband. I was shown 3 bands pre-surgery, the inamed lapband, the johnson & johnson swedish band, and the french midband. I chose the french for myself after doing much research, and finding it to have fewer slippage/erosion problems percentage wise in the studies I found. USA aftercare is a problem though to consider with the midband. Inamed is most accepted in the US because it's the only one FDA approved here.

Do your own research, and decide for yourself what you need. Most reputable surgeons will give you a choice, but no pressure to pick one over the other. After surgery you should be given the box that your band came in, and all the accompanying paperwork with the band reference numbers on it.

Good Luck!

Hello, I'm new and just doing research. I will share what i have found about Molding, Huacuz, ponce de leon, and verboonen there, FWIW. Do your OWN research of course.

A huge number of complaints and problems! Inamed tells me there are more problems there than at any other MX clinic (or US, for that matter). Not only the usual occasional minor problems, but some VERY major ones. I am a doctor myself, but I doubt I am getting any better info than anyone else can get with looking.

The complaints and problems seem to be from all over the US, going back 2 yrs or more, and from mutliple people - not just a few. There will always be a few complaints against any surgeon or any doctor, as no one is perfect, and some patientsd are just impopssible to satisfy. But when there are so VERY many about one place, I begin to wonder.

This is what i found re complaints and problems:

Tijuana Bandsters post numbers 936, 765, 820, 940, 968, 1017.

SmartBandsters post numbers 68565, 63835, 63788, 63776, 63749, 63748, 38669.

Jessie Aroni, who seems to be some kind of expert on SmartBandsters commented negatively in post # 63776.

Mexican Bandsters post numbers 13243, 13227, 13225, 13215, 13213

Bandsters number 96291 - a bad infection just a week ago, from Huacuz after 2 port surgeries in 2 months. I haven't gone back very far into Bandsters yet. It appears this patient was given no post-op teaching and got a very bad port infection from soaking in a bathtub.

Also, Bandsters post 94333. i haven't goner back very far into Bandsters yet.

I also found several complaints from people who were promised an Inamed band but were given another one, and then had trouble getting fills. One lady has had no fills at all and lost no weight at all because the doc she arranged at home to fill her Inamed band will not fill her other band, and she cannot leave her very ill husband to fly back to MX.

Honestly, I have found no more than 3 complaints against ANY of the OTHER doctors, and none at all against Dr Lopez, Dr Ortiz, and Dr Kuri, other than a late surgery because the patient before had trouble, or some late fills and even a missed plane becuase the morning surgery went way longer than expected. This, to me, is acceptible since surgery time can never be predicted. Inconvenient, but not dangerous.

. I've spent many hours on this so far, and my brother is a PI and has contributed some interesting info about prison time and fraud charges against one of the Molding doctors.

My "family" doctor is literally family - my sister in law - and she is researching for me too. Her husband is a MX atty and has found other interesting info. She says the bands are all about the same, all with good and bad points. but the Inamed band is the only one approved in the US. you guyz peobably know all this already.

One of the former people in the support group i went to had a Sweedish band and had an erosion, which the stats say is more common with this band. Another had a French midband and had a bad slip and had to have it removed because she could not find a US doctor to help her when she got in trouble on a vacation to the Midwest. She was way too sick to fly back to Mexico as her MX doc wanted her to. For this reason alone, I would personally get only a Inamed band. I would never have a band not approved in the country I lived in.

Also, Inamed is the only company that requires an intensive training program before allowing it's bands to be used. Still, they admit that some docs are much better than others. My brother found several TJ docs who would have put in a Midband or Sweedish band the next day, if he came up with cash. This clearly tells me they are not trained well. They didn't even ask him if he had any health problems. unbelievable.

My brother also found 3 patients in the last 6 months who went to Dr Lopez or Dr Kuri directly from Molding hospital with very big problems that these docs had to work hard to fix. Dan Mill at Inamed confirmed this, when he saw bro had the facts. Didn't deny it, which impressed bro.

I'm sure most if not all of you found this stuff too. Couldn't imagine putting my life in the hands of a surgeon I had not checked out very well, especially when there are not FDA guidelines in place. There are dentists or worse putting non-Inamed bands in in MX, since it is not regulated.

As far as Belighter, there are tons and tons of complaints against them too, on almost every Board, but not too relevant here - except that Dr Verboonen uses them as a referral source. CAn't imagine why, or why Belighter would want to align with this clinic. Lots I haven't found, I'm sure.

I know we are all desperate because of our weight problems, but still take the time to do your background checks. It could save your life. Buyer Beware, IMO.

LOVE the colors and other choices here! GREAT SITE!

Renee

I saw this same post on other boards, and have seen some of the posts she describes, it's very sad, and whether legit or not, it does make the most valid point of all. You must research thoroughly. I've been blessed to have had a great experience so far. Others have not been so lucky, and that's the saddest thing of all.

Guest nomorefatme

I had my surgery done November 9th of 2004 as of this morning, I am down 52 lbs from my original pre surgery weight. Dr. Huacuz, Andres, Dr. Martinez, and everyone from the drivers, to the nurses were all very compassionate, sensative, Good people. The staff stayed close by after my surgery, and when i woke up my nurse was sitting on a couch in my room waiting for me. It was very "home like" and the Drs were very informative with any questions I have had, or problems that could arise. I was given good information to take home with me, and I have had regular contact with the staff and Dr.s since ive been home, if i had any questions or concerns. My Dr. here in the states has had surgery at Molding now, and we both have referred several patients and family to Molding. I read that the Molding Clinic was in a rough area of TJ. I am 28 years old, and drove my brand new truck down with two small children to go to my last Appointment. No I am not crazy. It is safe. I have not been given any problems still to this day crossing to mexico, or coming back to the states. I would recommend the facility, and the Dr.s to my own family if need be. Also, i think i am the patient in the bandsters site that talked about port infections, and taking baths. I was not misinformed or poorly informed. I was stubborn, and i didnt read the documentation sent home with me, i got my stitches wet four days after my surgery. I then got a bacteria infection, that may have been caused by that, it may have been inevitable. In close, Molding clinic, has been a god send to me, it gave back my life, and when weighing the positive with the negative, i can honestly say, I made the right choice, in having my surgery when and where i did. I would also do it every year for the rest of my life if i had to, if it ment feeling as happy and healthy as i do today. I hope this can help in making your decision. Good Luck Jamie

Jamie, glad to hear you have had such a positive experience. That's what we wish for all bandsters. Congratulations on getting your band!

Guest julieann

Hi, I have been looking into using Dr. Huacuz and I have been dealing with Victor. He said that they would do the surgery if I paid 5500 down and made payments on the ballance after the surgery. Has anyone done this? I was given an account number to deposit the money in but am a bit leary about depositing money into an account like this. Any feed back would be greatful.

Tiara,

I was banded 4/2/2005 by Dr Huacuz and Im doing great! I was impressed by the doctors experience and all of his credentials were in order. Before the surgery I made sure to do my homework and studied up on the doctor. I am in my third year studying to become a licensed RN and had a pretty good idea of what to look for/ask.

I have heard recently that doctor Huacuz will not be operating at the molding clinic any longer from a good source due to problems that have risen due to complaints about the clinic. However - the surgeon himself Dr Huacuz does operate out of another hospital, and I recently (7/13/05) came from Tijuana after having Dr Huacuz take out my gallbladder and I couldnt be happier with him or the service I recieved.

If you would like more info please feel free to email me and Id love to talk further with you. Wishing you the best,

g