Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not craving salt or anything like that... but I've noticed lately I've been adding a dash or two of salt to my food lately. Before surgery I very rarely even USED the salt shaker when eating. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this... I've always said salt is supposed to bring out the flavor of things more, but over doing it is just nasty. So, I'd put a lil in when cooking, but rarely when I sat down to eat. And now its like everything needs a lil salt...

I went through a phase about a month post op where i did literally crave salt - to the point i would catch myself with just a salt shaker in my hand and then think - what the hell are you about to do with that? fortunately it passed. but i have noticed in general i like stronger flavors now and tend to prefer salty/spicy a lot and not sweet. whereas pre-op i was all about the sweet fix

I bet because you are eating more healthy and not getting the salt in your food and natural foods are less salty.

I went through a phase post op were I too craved salt. It lasted about a month and now I'm back to normal.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

I've been putting more salt on my food. I rarely used it before, except for a little when cooking. But, my blood pressure went from normal before surgery to low afterward, so I am adding more salt to my diet as well as getting into political discussions whenever possible to keep it up to a normal level.

as far as I know my BP is still normal - when I'd get BP done at Drs. they'd always do it 2 or three times thinkin' the machine was broke cause they'd expect me to have high BP and it was always normal or one CNA told me it was the BP of a teenager...

maybe its just the need for stronger flavor, I hope so...

I am betting @@Anna Nim nailed it. Since I had surgery, I was taken off my BP meds. A short time later, I was told I needed to start adding salt into my diet! My BP was getting low. So you may be craving salt to help retain Water and maintain your BP.

You know, I was with someone who *supposedly* was sensitive to salt (a covert, lying, narcissist..but that is a different story:) :). So, I started cooking with a lot more garlic and onion powder (and cumin, chill powder, etc). To me; garlic and to a lesser extent, onion powder takes the place of salt-garlic has that tang. It took a long time to switch by taste buds, but even this long after that, I still do not dump salt on like I used to by any means.

Most of us take in low carbs after WLS. When your insulin levels go down, excess sodium is flushed out along with a lot of Water (hence a lot of Water weight lost in the beginning). Too much sodium lost is not a good thing, gives you headaches, Constipation and a number or other symptoms since it's a vital electrolyte. So low carbers, salt it up lol... If you aren't on a low carb diet, pass the salt hehe.

I agree with Sai's explanation for being low carb and sodium depletion, but also wanted to add in if you were the type to eat foods that were highly processed or restaurant food, the reduction of those foods in your daily diet is likely causing some serious reductions in your daily sodium intake as well. Processed foods are overloaded with salt - especially any of the microwaveable frozen foods variety.