Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more thought.

I think it's important to realize that everyone who is a "vet" and is posting on this board is very likely doing so because they want everyone on this board to be successful. I have yet to meet anyone here who has even a shred of malicious intent. Most of the vets are far enough out that they aren't really here for their own support. They're here because they made friends that are important to them, and/or they are trying to "pay it forward" for the help and support they got when they were newbies.

It's also good to remember that they've answered the same questions, or posted the same content, hundreds of times. So sometimes their answers may seem short or impatient, but it's really just that they've typed it so darned many times. They're trying to share their experience and knowledge, period. They're not here to lord it over anyone, because trust me there's easier ways than spending time on this board to get a superiority fix.

As someone who's only a little ways down this path, I deeply appreciate everything the vets share about their experience and how they're making this work. I believe it would be very short sighted and more than a little idiotic for me to blow off what they have to say. I give serious consideration to every post that a vet makes about successful WLS. Not all of it applies to me, but I consider it carefully.

Assume good intentions, is all I'm saying. Because that is seriously all I've ever seen here.

I know someone that still drinks Diet Coke after their sleeve.

I'm not even going to attempt it when I heal, or months or years later. I'm writing off all colas!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wasn't a big soda drinker prior to surgery, and the couple of sips I've had since are even less appealing. I'm surprised by how quickly you can feel discomfort from the carbonation...just shows you how small and sensitive our new sleeves are. It was easy for me to take soda off my list, but beer...that's one I'm looking forward to a little of at some point. I've had beer once during the last 6 months and I couldn't finish the pint but the carbonation doesn't affect me the same way.

Guys, I would hate to derail from the original topic again, but when someone starts a post with "First of all...", I can hear the neck snap.. LOL

Nonetheless, I thank you all for the wonderful advice and will definitely look forward to learning from all of you and your experiences...

Have a great day!

It might be that its my first liquids day and I'm sensitive.....

Hi there,

During our class the nutritionist told us that carbonated drinks, can expand the pouch...

IT takes 21 days to get rid of a habit.. Lets do it together. :)

I started on liquids today. :)

Sandy

First of all, a sleeve is not a pouch. Second, carbonation does not stretch the sleeve. That's a myth. I drink carbonation and at over 2 years out, I have the same restriction I've had for a year. My surgeon and many others agree that a sleeve will not necessarily 'stretch'.

And to the original question, no, you should not drink Coke, because Coke is filled with empty calories, which by far is worse than carbonation and the number one reason people regain. So there's that.

Thanks...very important to know. I see many friends drink soda...manu many many

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Guys, I would hate to derail from the original topic again, but when someone starts a post with "First of all...", I can hear the neck snap.. LOL

Nonetheless, I thank you all for the wonderful advice and will definitely look forward to learning from all of you and your experiences...

Have a great day!

It might be that its my first liquids day and I'm sensitive.....

No worries...liquid diet is a challenge in itself...I nearly lost it by the end..any more broth would have took me over the edge...you will be and feel great... proud of you already

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

This post kinda has me laughing because it shows how every bariatric surgeon does and says a bit of different things, like my bariatric team does call our sleeve our new "pouch" and does say to NEVER drink soda or any carbonated beverages again or it will stretch. So I think thats why we all think one way to another, not to say anyone is wrong, but maybe we all should just realize that when people write a post there is a good chance they are saying what they were taught by their surgeon and honestly should probably follow that, so just keep that in mind if you were taught different and wanna correct someone, thats all :) I think its great to hear peoples experiences with things like this, because I honestly could not imagine never being able to have sparkling Water which i actually love, so I'm happy to hear that people been drinking carbonated beverages just fine, like my mom is 15 years out from surgery and drinks soda and maintained her weight all these years, but my friends dad had it drinks soda all the time and his weight aint so good 5 years out, so everyones advice is great! just keep in mind everyone will react different to things! what works for someone might not work for you! either listen to what your surgeon says or take your own risk and see what happens may work for you may not :) but much respects to the vets who are trying so hard to help all us newbies!

Edited by OhHeyMarina

I'm not going to deny that when in maintenance I have every intention of having a high quality root beer when I'm camping or having a bbq. Otherwise I've been done with sodas for years.

Some folks drink soda some don't or can't.

With all things you need to judge for yourself are those calories worth it (if drinking non-diet soda?)

I had a sip of soda about 6 months post op, it tasted horrible and the carbonation made me bloated and feel horrible. I couldn't eat my normal meal when the time came, so for me sodas are out. I am 10 months out now and just steer clear of soda and beer they just have too much carbonation for me. If I do have a soda maybe a few sips to half of one every 3 months it is almost flat or flat. To me the flavor that I liked is not the same as I remember so it just isn't worth it.

The "negative reinforcement" of the discomfort and horrible taste just has me craving it less and less. Pre-surgery I would have cringed at the thought of no soda ever, now the only problem is when we go out the non-carbonated low calorie options are few and far between.

Thank you for that very instructional post, not sure why you thought you had to school me on carbonation. I'm just looking to encourage and be encouraged not be drilled down like you did.

Thanks anyways. Have a nice one.

I know virtually nothing about you or anybody else on this forum here. But I do know about forum interactions, having been on various ones for 20 years now, as a participant and as a moderator. The written word is woefully inadequate to convey the full meaning of a person's communication. It is always helpful to ask for clarification, and to assume the best rather than the worst, until proven otherwise. It will not harm you at all to do that, and it might very well help.

I'm not going to deny that when in maintenance I have every intention of having a high quality root beer when I'm camping or having a bbq. Otherwise I've been done with sodas for years.

Take out the "root" and I will be right there with you - on rare occasion, of course. ;-)

Thank you for that very instructional post, not sure why you thought you had to school me on carbonation. I'm just looking to encourage and be encouraged not be drilled down like you did.

I know virtually nothing about you or anybody else on this forum here. But I do know about forum interactions, having been on various ones for 20 years now, as a participant and as a moderator. The written word is woefully inadequate to convey the full meaning of a person's communication. It is always helpful to ask for clarification, and to assume the best rather than the worst, until proven otherwise. It will not harm you at all to do that, and it might very well help.

Take out the "root" and I will be right there with you - on rare occasion, of course. ;-)

So starting of a reply with "first of all" is to be taken lightly, no. I'm sorry there are many ways to type things- this is how I interpreted it. If you all know her from before and accept her tone, ok.

I have already stated in multiple posts that I might have misinterpreted her tone.

However, I keep on getting tagged on a whole bunch of lectures, thanks but I think we all need to move on now.

Have a great night everyone.

Hi there,

During our class the nutritionist told us that carbonated drinks, can expand the pouch...

IT takes 21 days to get rid of a habit.. Lets do it together. :)

I started on liquids today. :)

Sandy

First of all, a sleeve is not a pouch. Second, carbonation does not stretch the sleeve. That's a myth. I drink carbonation and at over 2 years out, I have the same restriction I've had for a year. My surgeon and many others agree that a sleeve will not necessarily 'stretch'.

And to the original question, no, you should not drink Coke, because Coke is filled with empty calories, which by far is worse than carbonation and the number one reason people regain. So there's that.

@@Babbs

Just as an FYI, the American Society of Bariatric Surgery calls the sleeve a pouch, not too much error in my post.

post-305986-14812347732029_thumb.jpg

So starting of a reply with "first of all" is to be taken lightly, no. I'm sorry there are many ways to type things- this is how I interpreted it. If you all know her from before and accept her tone, ok.

I have already stated in multiple posts that I might have misinterpreted her tone.

However, I keep on getting tagged on a whole bunch of lectures, thanks but I think we all need to move on now.

Have a great night everyone.

The key phrase is "How I interpreted it". That was your first mistake. The second is assuming everyone who posted in response to you read every single OTHER response first. My initial response to you was not a lecture. This one is. If your skin is this thin, you ain't gonna do well on the interweb.

I was corrected for the exact same thing you were just last week, by a different poster. Instead of getting all bent out of shape, I wrote "thank you". It did not demean me at all to be corrected. In fact, it improved my perspective, and will prevent me from making similar errors in the future. That is important to me. Maybe it isn't for you. And if you don't like what I have written, or anyone else has written, there is an ignore button.

Noted. However, I'm not thin skinned, I just now realize that in this forum I can not have my opinion, instead, I have to ride the band wagon and that I'm not going to do. Regretfully, I came on here for support and it has been the total opposite.

I thank everyone for their time but this is just not for me.

She was trying to educate you and anyone else who sees this because you were giving out inaccurate information.
Well there is a nice way to do it and a condescending way to do it.