Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Needed During Wait

I had my orientation meeting and first nutritional consult/class today. I was a little surprised to find out it would be about 5-6 months until surgery. My insurance doesn't have a waiting period but the hospital I'm using has an in depth program pre op. It's actually a GREAT program and I like the idea of it. However, I was on the border of being heavy enough for insurance to cover the procedure without a comorbidity. I actually ate like a mad woman leading up to this appointment and wore heavy clothes and slouched to lose an inch in height to hit the BMI. I actually was a little over 41 BMI and 40 was required. However, l actually feel sick from all the crap I've been eating. (Gained about 7 pounds) The thoughts of having to continue like this is discouraging. The surgeon doesn't submit to insurance until after my last visit at the end of this program. Anyone been in a similar situation? Advice? They do require a sleep study so I'm sadly secretly hoping I fail it. Then I only need a 35 BMI.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I would ask for sure if losing during the waiting period will disqualify you. I was barely BMI 40 my first surgeon's visit but there was not a waiting period, they sent me for a psych eval and submitted to insurance right away without weighing me again.

If they don't sound like you have a good chance of being approved can you use another surgeon/hospital? I was happy my insurance didn't make me wait because of this very same reason.

My insurance does require 6-months of medically-supervised weight loss, but I had the same worry -- that I would lose too much and disqualify myself. My nutritionist assured me that if I got close to that, she would put me on a maintenance diet.

Do you have access to a nutritionist? They can help you maintain your weight without eating crap.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I wish our insurance covered this in Canada.... had to shell out $12 000.

I'm in a similar position. My insurance requires a six month medically supervised diet. I'm exactly at a BMI of 35 with high blood pressure. I can't lose or gain weight.

My surgeon uses the weight from your first visit when they submit to insurance. Most programs include making healthy changes and so many people will lose weight following the program, and the surgeon doesn't want to disqualify you.

Thanks! First surgeon visit is next week and I will clarify. I hope that's the case. Mind you it's not like it's 20 pounds, but I ate lots of fast food and sodium and I just feel yucky. Despite being 100 pounds overweight, my diet had actually improved a lot. No doubt I would easily drop 10 pounds between now and surgery.

I was right at 40 BMI when I started my program and was told to not lose or gain any weight. Easier said than done! After almost a year in the program, I was at 42 when they did the RNY.

My bmi is 34.5 I have to be 35 and have a medical issue I have asthma and siatic never problems and knee problems and depression but I think those don't count I have tryed everything my dr said he can put down some Heath issues and fix it up if I'm really wanting this done . Advice ?? I have been eating like crazy and I know this sounds weird but it's hard gaining wait!!!

usually they use the weight from your first visit. I would ask this questions specifically to both your insurance company and the surgical team.

The wait if leveraged effectively, really allows you to build great habits. So once you find out, leverage the heck out of this time to break through.

Best of luck to you!