Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swimming post surgery

Does anyone know if there is a restriction regarding swimming in a pool or ocean soon after surgery? (Certain wait time?). I plan to have my surgery 2-3 weeks before my timeshare in Aruba and I am wondering if I will be able to go into the Water so early on...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You should not swim until your incisions are healed. It can set you up for infection if they are not healed first.

I had sleeve on May 2015. After my surgery,I went to Aruba too!!

I was 2 months out. But YES Incisions have to be healed . on a separate note...with my surgeons clearance I rode on those TUBE Floating pulled by a speed boat (tubing)... And by the end of the stay my incisions were swollen, bruised and the one on the left was bleeding lightly.

Enjoy it to the fullest but be cautious.

I wouldn't advise it until after your incisions are FULLY healed. There are so many microorganisms and amoebas in the water--even salt water--that I wouldn't risk it. And in pools/hot tubs, etc., even worse. But, as with many repies on BP...see what your doctor says. Have fun.

How is Aruba? I've never been there. Best places to stay? Things to do?

I have a six week restriction on any exercise but walking. Swimming may put you at risk for over exerting yourself and hurting your new stomach. I think it takes around six weeks for the staples and such to fully heal.

My dr said not til I healed fully at least a month that was in my own hot tub pool I would think longer in the ocean

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon cleared me for the pool at 4 weeks. If you are going to need to get in the Water before then, talk with your doc and ask if it would be OK if you had waterproof bandages on the incisions. I used them for showering until my incisions were closed, and they work pretty well. The incisions are small enough I got mine at the local drugstore and didn't need any special order bandages.

Ask your doctor. I swim a lot and my doctor told me 3 weeks (he said up to 4 depending on how the incisions were healing, but gave me the all-clear at three weeks because they were looking great).

I was OKed to swim in our own pool at 6 weeks but surgeon suggested waiting another 2 weeks before using a public pool.