Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get it.

The old joke goes... What is the difference between a surgeon and God? God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

sent from mobile device

Haha my surgeon thinks he is God. That guy cracks me up. attachicon.gif180s.jpg

I dunno. He seems to have a nice enough smile. My surgeon hardly ever smiles. So serious all the time. Like most surgeons, actually.

My surgeon is hot. Just sayin'. ;) :P :D

Rant and rave about yourself! When you are perfect come let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Go find something else to do for now and comeback the RANTS AND RAVES when you are ready for adult content that may disagree with your personality nap opinions. Seriously.

Question for the OP. You stated that food addiction is just an excuse and you don't have one. You're adamant that you don't have an issue with food. So how did you become obese and why couldn't you lose weight without WLS.? I heard this in my support group too many times to count and in most cases it basically came down to total denial of where the problem lies. Just curious why you feel you couldn't just eat smaller portions of healthy food and go though the program of pre and postop meal plans to lose weight without surgical intervention?

And forgive me if you already addressed this because I didn't read every single post in this thread. Your statements were just something that stuck out to me since I'd heard them so many times before. Just curious if there is an underlying metabolic disorder or other disease that surgery was able correct, allowing you to lose weight you wouldn't normally be able to.

That's kind of really personal, and I don't like telling strangers about it, but I guess I'm going to have to so people understand me better. Not only is this embarrassing, and emotionally taxing, but I've never told anyone but my husband about most of this. Now I'm telling a forum of strangers. the reason for me being fat is a combination of genetics, how I was raised, harming my body to lose weight as a teen through my twenties and PCOS. My father was a professional football player, and lucky me! I got his physique. I grew up eating his size meals since I was a child. And having PCOS when i hit puberty played a huge role. I'm infertile because of it. I got into middle school, I got teased for being fat. I took it really hard and started starving myself and that eventually lead to binging and purging. What some people don't realize about eating disorders is, they don't actually make you lose weight. In fact it does the opposite. By the time I was 18 I was 220 lbs. I started dating a boy who helped me out of that violent spiral of self harm that was helping me diet and teaching me how to exercise. But it was counter productive to my method of birth control that made me gain another 30 lbs. I went on and off yoyo dieting and my body was in a constant state of starvation mode which is where your body consumes too few calories and your body stops metabolizing all together. And not to mention quitting smoking after nearly 15 years. If you're wondering why I was taking bc with PCOS, it was to help my hemorrhage like cycles be a little easier to get through.

Edited by Xombae

AMEN!!!! You are so right. And then u hear they're human they made a mistake. There is such a difference between being human and making a mistake, and MAKING A BAD CHOICE!!!! We obviously all had some sort of food issue or wldnt be here but some of us made good choices and some of us made bad choices. And some people need to hear the hard truth from someone.

I almost wish I had a problem with food, it might make me a little more empathetic towards said people.

How can you not have a problem food, yet require WLS? That doesn't make sense, AT ALL!

AMEN!!!! You are so right. And then u hear they're human they made a mistake. There is such a difference between being human and making a mistake, and MAKING A BAD CHOICE!!!! We obviously all had some sort of food issue or wldnt be here but some of us made good choices and some of us made bad choices. And some people need to hear the hard truth from someone.

I almost wish I had a problem with food, it might make me a little more empathetic towards said people.
How can you not have a problem food, yet require WLS? That doesn't make sense, AT ALL!
Excuse me. Read the above post.

Please don't reply if your offended by what I'm about to say.

I know I'm not the only person who followed their post op diet to a perfect T. I don't understand why someone would cheat post op and risk their lives for a piece of food. Maybe it's because I don't see food as a crutch? The majority of my life I've only see carbs, fats and Protein. I'm not addicted to it, and it irks the hell out of me when people use that as their excuse. I know I snapped at a newbie on her post a few weeks ago, but I really had the best intentions. My husband, who is a slim guy and very health conscious about food, would chew me out if I even so much as looked at something I'm not supposed to have. He only has the best intentions for my success. I believe everyone going through surgery should have that sort of jerk to keep them in line. Which brings me to my second issue, why would you consult with a forum first, instead of your surgeon about your screw up? Knowing how people are on the Internet and how harsh and rude they can be, wouldn't you rather be reemed by the person who did your surgery and make you feel guilty, rather than a group of strangers? All of our post op diet plans are different, mine for example: Clear liquids for a week, full liquids for a week, my puree stage is 4 weeks long, then I move on to soft foods for 2 weeks after that. Then it's all maintenance from there. I've seen some people where they only need to puree for 1 week. So of course someone like me would have a heart attack thinking about someone eating solids during purees. People don't use their brains, and don't have any self control. And that's what bugs me the most. Our surgeons should make sure someone is mentally competent to handle the diet before the surgery to make sure they don't put their lives at stake over a sandwich, or a pork chop.

Sorry, I really needed to vent that. I'm just so tired of seeing the same posts over and over again :(

I totally feel what you're saying above. I definitely had food issues but I had this surgery so I could gain the right tools to deal with my issues, relearn good habits and conquer my obesity.

Because of my restriction and my absolute commitment to making this work this time around, I was able to lose the weight and maintain that loss.

I get frustrated by "cheating" posts because it's my feeling that people who go to the surgical extreme to lose the weight should respect their bodies enough to fully heal before turning back to crap foods.

That's kind of really personal, and I don't like telling strangers about it, but I guess I'm going to have to so people understand me better. Not only is this embarrassing, and emotionally taxing, but I've never told anyone but my husband about most of this. Now I'm telling a forum of strangers. the reason for me being fat is a combination of genetics, how I was raised, harming my body to lose weight as a teen through my twenties and PCOS. My father was a professional football player, and lucky me! I got his physique. I grew up eating his size meals since I was a child. And having PCOS when i hit puberty played a huge role. I'm infertile because of it. I got into middle school, I got teased for being fat. I took it really hard and started starving myself and that eventually lead to binging and purging. What some people don't realize about eating disorders is, they don't actually make you lose weight. In fact it does the opposite. By the time I was 18 I was 220 lbs. I started dating a boy who helped me out of that violent spiral of self harm that was helping me diet and teaching me how to exercise. But it was counter productive to my method of birth control that made me gain another 30 lbs. I went on and off yoyo dieting and my body was in a constant state of starvation mode which is where your body consumes too few calories and your body stops metabolizing all together. And not to mention quitting smoking after nearly 15 years. If you're wondering why I was taking bc with PCOS, it was to help my hemorrhage like cycles be a little easier to get through.

This post concerns me, though, and maybe I'm wrong. I felt like you gave the impression that you don't think you have food issues (that's where you correct me). To me, it sounds as if you have some severe ones.

No, you can't help your physique, and PCOS sucks, but you're dealing with a lot of other issues here that have culminated in food and obesity.

Yo yo dieting, binging and purging, eating football sized meal resulting in childhood obesity ... those are food issues. I hope you're getting support via counseling?

No judgment. Just an uneducated observation.

Please don't reply if your offended by what I'm about to say.

I know I'm not the only person who followed their post op diet to a perfect T. I don't understand why someone would cheat post op and risk their lives for a piece of food. Maybe it's because I don't see food as a crutch? The majority of my life I've only see carbs, fats and Protein. I'm not addicted to it, and it irks the hell out of me when people use that as their excuse. I know I snapped at a newbie on her post a few weeks ago, but I really had the best intentions. My husband, who is a slim guy and very health conscious about food, would chew me out if I even so much as looked at something I'm not supposed to have. He only has the best intentions for my success. I believe everyone going through surgery should have that sort of jerk to keep them in line. Which brings me to my second issue, why would you consult with a forum first, instead of your surgeon about your screw up? Knowing how people are on the Internet and how harsh and rude they can be, wouldn't you rather be reemed by the person who did your surgery and make you feel guilty, rather than a group of strangers? All of our post op diet plans are different, mine for example: Clear Liquids for a week, full liquids for a week, my puree stage is 4 weeks long, then I move on to soft foods for 2 weeks after that. Then it's all maintenance from there. I've seen some people where they only need to puree for 1 week. So of course someone like me would have a heart attack thinking about someone eating solids during purees. People don't use their brains, and don't have any self control. And that's what bugs me the most. Our surgeons should make sure someone is mentally competent to handle the diet before the surgery to make sure they don't put their lives at stake over a sandwich, or a pork chop.

Sorry, I really needed to vent that. I'm just so tired of seeing the same posts over and over again :(

I totally feel what you're saying above. I definitely had food issues but I had this surgery so I had the tools to deal with my issues, relearn good habits and conquer my obesity.

Because of my restriction and my absolute commitment to making this work thus time around, I was able to lose the weight and maintain that loss.

I get frustrated by "cheating" posts because it's my feeling that people who go to the surgical extreme to lose the weight should respect their bodies enough to fully heal before turning back to crap foods.

This post concerns me, though, and maybe I'm wrong. I felt like you gave the impression that you don't think you have food issues (that's where you correct me). To me, it sounds as if you have done severe ones.

No, you can't help your physique, and PCOS sucks, but you're dealing with a lot of other issues here that have culminated in food and obesity.

Yo yo dieting, binging and purging, eating football sized meal resulting in childhood obesity ... that's a food issue. I hope you're getting support via counseling?

No judgment. Just an uneducated observation.

I've been out of therapy for 8 years now, all harmful issues have been conquered. The football sized portions stopped when my dad passed away and I learned what Portion Control was.

Edited by Xombae

Held steady at 230 for 6 years until I quit smoking.