Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Malabsorption is a major concern and constipation

I've been doing my research and malabsorption is a huge issue for me. This is when the small intestine can't absorb important Vitamins, nutrients, and Fluid properly. Which then cause deficiencies and other issues. It is hard for me to wrap my head around. Then the Constipation how long will this be a problem. A lifetime? It sounds like I'm trading one set of problems for newer ones. Can someone share so real honest information please?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

According to the research I did, malabsorption is greatest the first 6 months after surgery. It usually tapers off quite a bit after the first year for sure. Your body adapts eventually. Its still important to keep up with certain Vitamins though. I take Vitamins every day anyway so no change in routine for me there.

From what I gather, Constipation can be an ongoing challenge. I'm just on my 6 months of pre-surgery weight loss but I've already incorporated a couple prunes or ounce or two of prune juice into my Breakfast routine. Staying on top of constipation doesn't sound like fun, but will be SO worth it to not be sick and morbidly obese anymore. I want to live a long and happy life. :-)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

By the way, malabsorption only applies if you are having a gastric bypass. Not an issue with the sleeve. What type of surgery are you getting?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@sugarbear234

Malabsorption was very scary for me when i first started this journey mostly because I did not understand it. It is not a side effect, it is on purpose and it helps you with weight loss and maintenance. I am thrilled that I had RNY and have the malabsorption factor.

The most important thing is that you take your Vitamins as prescribed and have your nutritional panel done as prescribed. This makes sure that if you are malabsorbing Vitamins and minerals that they know and you can take a supplement.

I am over two years post op, get my blood checked once per year now. There was only 1 time that my blood work was abnormal and that was post op 6 months, i was low on thiamin. So now i take a B1 Vitamin everday. My blood work has been fine ever since.

Dont be afraid of malabsorption unless you are not a rule follower. They told me that some people stop getting their blood work done, dont follow instructions and then years later are in trouble.

If you follow the plan, it is nothing to be worried about.

Best of luck to you!

I've been doing my research and malabsorption is a huge issue for me. This is when the small intestine can't absorb important Vitamins, nutrients, and Fluid properly. Which then cause deficiencies and other issues. It is hard for me to wrap my head around. Then the Constipation how long will this be a problem. A lifetime? It sounds like I'm trading one set of problems for newer ones. Can someone share so real honest information please?

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

I am almost 6 weeks out sleeve surgery and I have not been constipated one single day. In fact, I have had diarrhea a couple of times. Every person is different.

The problem comes from the fact that we always have to eat Protein first. When your tummy is tiny that little bit of chicken or fish fills you up, there isn't any room for veggies and other Fiber rich foods.

Constipation and diarrhea are both pretty easy to remedy, and you don't even need hard core drugs to do it. For both problems my surgeon recommends Benefiber. You put it in your Water and can't even taste it. Basically it just replaces the Fiber you are missing from your diet.

Some people do need more and use things like stool softeners, etc. Some people continue to have problems with constipation for a long time but usually as time goes on and their diet becomes more and more varied it gets better. I can't eat much now but I know in time I will be able to consume more healthy foods.

vitamin/mineral deficiency should be an issue as long as you keep on top of your supplements. You'll have to take them for the rest of your life, regardless of which surgery you have (gastric bypass requires more, but you'll have to take Vitamins with either option)

Constipation vs (for me) weighing almost 400 lbs was a no brainer. I would have been dead in 10 years if I hadn't lost the weight. I'd much rather take Miralax or whatever every day than drop dead prematurely.

I meant vit/mineral deficiency should NOT be an issue as long as you keep on top of your supplements

I agree with the other commenters. I'm almost 5 months post-op and I only had Constipation issues in the beginning. Now I make sure I incorporate ground flax seed in my daily diet.