Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LittleBill's Ring of Fire Chili

It got the name Ring of Fire because it burns on the way in, and it burns on the way out. There is nothing really special about this chili, although there are two things of note about it. First, it is very easy to make, and second, it has been featured at all sorts of social occasions and we virtually never bring home any leftovers. I am posting it here in case someone is bored and wants to try it. It is not cheap in the calorie department, but a half a cup yields lots of Protein. In fact, you will get 275 calories and a hair over 25 grams of protein in 1/2 cup. These values were calculated with My Fitness Pal's recipe calculator.

Just about anything in this recipe can be substituted, left out, moderated, whatever. For example, one might substitute ground turkey or chicken for beef. Make it your own and the way you like it. I like it hot - real hot. I like it so hot when someone breaks wind, it is like a flash bulb going off in a dark room. You may like it a little milder. One rule about chili is, you can always add more spice, but it is real hard to get it back out again.

Ingredients

1 1/2 lb ground beef

1 large can kidney Beans

1 can black beans

1 can garbanzo beans

1 can corn

Two large cans Tomato sauce

Two onions (chopped)

Brown sugar

Cumin

Habanero pepper powder

Black pepper

First I put everything from cans into a large pot and start it warming up on the stove. I do not add any spices or sugar yet! While that is getting warm, I will brown the beef, cooking the onions along with it. Once that is ready, I drain it and add it to the big pot with the other ingredients. I will then bring the big pot up to a low boil, and back it down to simmer. Then I will start with the spices. There are no quantities listed because I have no idea what they are. Besides, you are making this, not me. Make it the way you like it.
Store bought chili powder is a waste of time and money. As far as I am concerned, it is nothing more than a bunch of paprika with just enough cumin in it to make it smell decent. If you really like the taste and smell of cumin (and I think that is really important in good chili) just get yourself a bottle of cumin off the spice rack. If you are die hard fresh about stuff, you can buy it whole, roast it, and crush it. But that takes the easy out of this recipe.
Put in some cumin. Put in a wee bit of habanero powder. Any hot pepper powder, flakes, or fresh cut will do, but habaneros have just a little bit of a sweet taste to them before they start burning your tongue off. Start low and add it sparingly. Add in some black pepper. I actually add in a lot of black pepper. I love the stuff. Then comes the sugar. Brown sugar has a little bit of molasses to it, and that plus the sweetness takes the bite out of the acid in the tomato sauce. It also complements and compliments the habaneros. I do not add a lot. Usually about 1/4 cup for a pot this size does the trick nicely.
Stir frequently to keep it from sticking, and let it cook down until it is nice and thick. It is pretty much ready to eat any time you decide. I hope someone finds this helpful in their Quest for stuff that tastes good, is reasonably good for you, and is not hard to make.

I will trust your judgment and do the can of gonzo Beans... Thanks for the recipe!

You are welcome. I say go for it. The worst that will happen is you'll have to pick them out as you eat.

Thank you for the recipe.

I like spicy food. Does this recipe burn-burn-burn, for the ring of fire chili, the ring of fire chili? :)

Thank you for the recipe.

I like spicy food. Does this recipe burn-burn-burn, for the ring of fire chili, the ring of fire chili? :)

It certainly can. You'll feel like you're pooping out lit kerosene. And yes, we play that Johnny Cash classic all the time!

Heheh @@LittleBill you'd probably love my spicy meatloaf recipe!

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I use a vegetarian chili recipe that chops up chickpeas in a food processor that gives it a meaty like texture.

They make chili paste out of dried peppers and Water instead of chili powder.

It's awesome. And around 100-120 cal per half cup.

I make a big pot almost weekly since surgery.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Heheh @@LittleBill you'd probably love my spicy meatloaf recipe!"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I probably would. I was very concerned that I would not be able to eat spicy food after my surgery, but it has been going down the hatch very well.

Thanks - can't wait to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I mentioned to my wife that I needed garbanzo Beans and SHE immediately responded with HELL NO! Considering her response and the fact that I cuddle with her to steal her heat, I didn't get any. I do currently have spicy pork sausage (from last year's pig) black beans, kidney beans, my honey habanero onions, some random leftover salsa, cumin, black pepper and brown sugar all hanging out in a pot on the stove right now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Now I'm looking at low carb "cornbread". Dang you Little Bill!

A word of warning. Don't be a dumbass like me and rub your nose and eye immediately after chopping the habanero...

A word of warning. Don't be a dumbass like me and rub your nose and eye immediately after chopping the habanero...

I have a very funny story about hot peppers and rubbing certain body parts, but it is not worth my life to tell it. Suffice to say, they were not my parts, and I was threatened on several levels if I ever touched peppers and those parts in that order again.

I have a very funny story about hot peppers and rubbing certain body parts, but it is not worth my life to tell it. Suffice to say, they were not my parts, and I was threatened on several levels if I ever touched peppers and those parts in that order again.

I can imagine enough of that story! Ouch!

Something similar to this?

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2013/10/27/snl-autumns-eve-pumpkin-spice-douche-video/