Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain in 2 days HOW?

hi everyone.

i am almost 12 weeks post op and i have lost almost 60lbs. last week Tuesday id lost 4lbs then weighed again on Wednesday and i had gained 1lb literally overnight i was like HOWW?? Then i jst weighed now and iv gained an extra 2lbs like what is going on? i am eating clean i barely touch carbs iv been eating chicken and fish with veg no carbs. i eat about 800-900 cals per day do regular excercise iv treated myself to some chocolate once a week which i have done since the start of my solid food journey and never gained so it definitely cannot be that. im pulling my hair out and feel like a failure Whats happening to my body???

Sent from my SM-G935F using the BariatricPal App

You really don't know? Having you period. Drank more Water than usual. Drank less Water than usual. Need to have a bowel movement. Had more salt than usual....

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You really don't know? Having you period. Drank more Water than usual. Drank less Water than usual. Need to have a bowel movement. Had more salt than usual....

yeh i really dont know thats why i wrote this thread. yeh i have no idea i have have stuck to my surgeons advice. so not sure why iv gained 2lbs

Water retention. It is totally normal. Happens to everyone. Don't expect weight loss to be linear. It doesn't happen that way, except for maybe in the beginning for some lucky people. More like steps. Once you accept that and are a bit more realistic, you won't panic when this happens.

I read an interesting article that hypothesizes that fat cells don't like to lose volume so they absorb Water in a last ditch effort to keep their volume. That is what accounts for the gain or plateau before a drop.

I don't ever count the gains (unless it's like 5 pounds) just the losses.

Also, chocolate doesn't help and may slow your weight loss. It doesn't take much sometimes!

yeh i really dont know thats why i wrote this thread. yeh i have no idea i have have stuck to my surgeons advice. so not sure why iv gained 2lbs

Sorry. When I read my comment I realized it sounded rude. I apologize. Have you tried staying off the scale? Unless I go to a doctors appointment I only weigh once a week. It really helps me keep my sanity.

A little over a weeks go, while eating about 600 calories a day, I gained 11pounds due to medication and IV Fluid. I knew what was happening but it still pissed me off!

Sorry. When I read my comment I realized it sounded rude. I apologize. Have you tried staying off the scale? Unless I go to a doctors appointment I only weigh once a week. It really helps me keep my sanity.

A little over a weeks go, while eating about 600 calories a day, I gained 11pounds due to medication and IV Fluid. I knew what was happening but it still pissed me off!

hey. oh yehh thats fine no worries!! ahhhh yeh i dunno i still try to enjoy my treats once or twice a week like i refuse to completely cut them out its jst not living is it? instead i have a small chocolate bar like the kiddies size maybe once or twice a week like i have done that from the start depends how i feel. yeh its only 2lbs well 3lbs cos i lost 4lbs last week then gained 1lb back. but on the brightside i am 55lbs lighter im happy with that

@@Melanie89

It is likely just Water retention. Have you had too much salt? I literally was a daily weigher all through the weight loss phase.

If i had anything salty the day before I could expect a couple pound swing the next day or two. Especially if i did not hit my Water goals for that day.

Also, it can be hormones. I survived the daily weigh ins by literally telling myself to not get upset at my scale because your weight will fluctuate from day to day. I honestly paid no attention to the 1 or 2lb swings either way until they remained that way for 3 or 4 days. Meaning if the scale told me I lost a pound, I did not count it until that pound was gone for good for at least 3 days, same thing with gains.

You definately DID NOT gain 2 lbs for real so try not to worry. Some people stay off the scale if it really gets to them.

I had to do it once after a month of no movement whatsoever. I just stayed off for a week and then wham, i started losing again.

Best of luck to you!

@@Melanie89

It is likely just Water retention. Have you had too much salt? I literally was a daily weigher all through the weight loss phase.

If i had anything salty the day before I could expect a couple pound swing the next day or two. Especially if i did not hit my Water goals for that day.

Also, it can be hormones. I survived the daily weigh ins by literally telling myself to not get upset at my scale because your weight will fluctuate from day to day. I honestly paid no attention to the 1 or 2lb swings either way until they remained that way for 3 or 4 days. Meaning if the scale told me I lost a pound, I did not count it until that pound was gone for good for at least 3 days, same thing with gains.

You definately DID NOT gain 2 lbs for real so try not to worry. Some people stay off the scale if it really gets to them.

I had to do it once after a month of no movement whatsoever. I just stayed off for a week and then wham, i started losing again.

Best of luck to you!

errrmm no salt but i do use seasoning i am black so black people tend to cook with seasoning which can be quite salty. i made a no carb stir fry with chicken and did a big batch and ate that with my husband for 3 days maybe it was that. i dunno cos i kno i am not physically eating enough to warrant a 3lb weight gain ohhhh mannn!!!!

@@Melanie89

Do you use soy sauce in that stir fry? If so, that right there might be your problem. Even if it is the low sodium kind and you are using your seasoning.

The important thing to remember is to drink tons of Water then the salt doesnt matter. In fact, I was told to increase my salt intake because of how much Water I drink. It caused me to have low blood pressure.

I am guessing the stir fry was alot of salt for you.

@@Melanie89

Do you use soy sauce in that stir fry? If so, that right there might be your problem. Even if it is the low sodium kind and you are using your seasoning.

The important thing to remember is to drink tons of Water then the salt doesnt matter. In fact, I was told to increase my salt intake because of how much Water I drink. It caused me to have low blood pressure.

I am guessing the stir fry was alot of salt for you.

no no soy sauce but alot of seasoning cubes for flavouring. ahhh well i now know. been focusing on not eating carbs iv jst substituted it for stir fried veg. ahhhh least i know now. yeh sodium makes you retain water doesnt it.

@@Melanie89

Stir fried veggies are just fine, maybe back off the seasoning a bit. You might find that helps with Water retention or drink more Water in between to flush the salt out.

Best of luck to you!