Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

I am losing about a 1/2 cc a month so I think I have a slow leak at the port. My Dr. had a hell of a time finding my port, I think the dr that did the surgery put it deeper than some of the other ports. So he did a lot of poking around when he did the fills. So I fgure 1/2 CC a month isn't that bad, I will just go in every 4-6 weeks and get a fill. Luckly my Dr. is good about just sneaking in without an appt to do the fill.

So I got tired of all the poking so after a fill I went and got a tattoo on my stomach over my port. It's a hummingbird and the eye of the bird is where the Dr. goes in to fill and unfill. It has worked like a charm! eventually once my scar is completely healed I will get that tattooed to look like a flower.

If my leak gets worse I guess I will get it replaced. I have to say as the month goes along my eating habits get worse because I can eat a little more...that part I am working on.

It's been over a month since I had my port replaced and my tubing shortened. I'm back on track of loosing weight. When I first got the band my doctor was filling once a month every month up until the day I had replacement. I have seen the doctor since surgery and I have had the best restriction ever, and have no fills since the one that he did during surgery. I LOVE MY NEW PORT!!!

question on the leaking. If you have a leak is it most likely in the port or is it the band? I was just banded June 1, 2009. Had first fill last month of 3ccs. Went for second fill and there was only 1.5 cc. So he brought me up to 5ccs. Is it too soon to think there might be an issue? I know my daughter's doctor said that even without a leak some people just lose some of their fill and there is a thicker fill solution they can do. I'm not getting freaked over it at all yet because I know if there's a problem it can be fixed. If you had to have the port replaced and part of the tubing, I'm assuming the same surgical pre-op comes into play again?

Sorry to ask questions but I knew when I could eat just about anything, something was going on. Second fill yesterday is okay so far but I will know within a week if things start to change because after first fill I was kind of okay for about a week.

Thanks

Trisha

Your doc can share with you his experiences, but from what I've read the band rarely leaks. (it happens but very seldom) it is usually the port or more often the tubing running from the port to the band.

Trish, I would go in get a fill be fine the couple of day after and then be back to eating everything i seen. I started gaining weight, 14 pounds to be exact, that's going away slower then it went on...of course. Getting a port or tube replaced is way easier then the full surgery. Nothing to eat after midnight the night before surgery, they go in where your port is and that's it. I went home right after I woke up in recovery, liquids for a couple of days then right back to food. Just take it slow on the types of food. My doctor filled my band during surgery to make sure the new port worked and that my band wasn't leaking. So since surgery almost 6 weeks ago have had great restriction, and I never had great restriction in the beginning, i would get a fill every month when I saw the doctor in the beginning.

Hope that helps or at least answers some questions.

confused, thanks. I'm not going to get real concerned until I go next time and see if I lose fill again and then I'll have some questions. I haven't gained any but only lost 3.5 the past month but that was just plain ol' dieting and some exercise. I'm at 5ccs right now (Realize band, which is larger than the lap-band). So we'll see what happens next month and then go from there. My surgeon didn't seem to be too concerned either right now.

Nice to know that if it has to be revised that at least it's an easier procedure...would sure hate to do the 2 weeks of liquid again...ugh :):)

Trisha

I didn't think I could do the 2 weeks of liquids again either, but then I thought of it like this if I had to it was just going to give me a jump start, and that I was getting a second chance to do better this time. I only say that because I have my moments when I eat things that shouldn't be ate ever again. I had some guilt moments thinking that it was my fault that the port broke...if I wouldn't have ate that or done that I wouldn't be broken now. So when I would go through those moments it was always better to look at it as a redo.

Hi everyone. I don't have my band yet; but, wanted to ask a question. Is it the band with the problem, the way the surgery was done with the band, tubing and port or the person doing the fills? I am sure it is all three but what is the main reason everyone is having this problem. There are sure a lot of you out there having problems. This is a little upsetting. Thanks for any information you can supply.

I. I only say that because I have my moments when I eat things that shouldn't be ate ever again. I had some guilt moments thinking that it was my fault that the port broke...if I wouldn't have ate that or done that I wouldn't be broken now. So when I would go through those moments it was always better to look at it as a redo.

I don't know what your surgeon has told you about foods off limits, but except for carbonation, I don't think ANY food "shouldn't be eaten ever again" and I only bring this up so you'll quit feeling guilty. If you look around here at successful bandsters you'll see over and over they pretty much eat anything they want. They may choose to avoid things like sweets, chips etc most of the time (not enough bang for your buck!) but nothing is "off limits".

UNLESS...you cheat during your post op diet; that can contribute to a slip.

So quit feeling guilty; there's no need for it. Use all that energy for something constructive!

restlessmonkey,

I just mean that I catch a lot of hell from everyone at the clinic that I go to because I love my "DQ". The doctor thinks he's funny when he tells me that's what brought me to him in the beginning, and then I think he's probably right...but I still eat what I want when I want because I'm the only one that has to pay for it when the scale doesn't move that month.

pickles123,

The port is the place that leaks that and the tube. With the port it is a self sealing material and if you stick a needle into it to many times then it will develop a slow leak because it won't seal all the way. That's what the doctor thought was my problem but it was the tube. Since I was there and he was there he just replaced the port and shortened the tube. My problem is very unique because I don't have a spleen and the big scar I have runs right where they have to place the port and tube. Well the scar tissue was pinching the tube because the tube was a little to long. That's what the doctor told me when I came to in recovery. Everything is fine now, and he even cleaned up the appearance of my really big scar from my spleen.

So...you feel guilty because you want to!

Ok..whatever works for you :)

I find guilt is pretty draining, but that's me! I'm not perfect (Lord knows I am FAR from that) but if guilt isn't going to make you change, to keep feeling bad about something is, well, something I don't do.

However if it works for you, then you go! :confused:

I had my band put in originally 4 years ago. 3 years ago it was discovered I had a leak in the tubing. This leak was in the part of the tube that goes through the muscle to get into your abdomen, so it was not due to the doctor hitting it with the injection. 2 days ago I went back because I had the suspicion once again that I had another leak, and YES I do...in the same location as previously. Has this ever happened to anyone not only once but twice? The first time I could handle it as a one in a million chance and got the band replace, but now I feel like it will be an on-going problem that will require surgery to correct every few years. I am soooo frustrated and discouraged. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a leak that was not caused by the Doctors injection near the port. :blushing:

I had my band put in originally 4 years ago. 3 years ago it was discovered I had a leak in the tubing. This leak was in the part of the tube that goes through the muscle to get into your abdomen, so it was not due to the doctor hitting it with the injection. 2 days ago I went back because I had the suspicion once again that I had another leak, and YES I do...in the same location as previously. Has this ever happened to anyone not only once but twice? The first time I could handle it as a one in a million chance and got the band replace, but now I feel like it will be an on-going problem that will require surgery to correct every few years. I am soooo frustrated and discouraged. I would love to hear from anyone who has had a leak that was not caused by the Doctors injection near the port. :thumbup:

Sorry, no leak here. I'm sure you realize this, but odds are this can't be a problem with two bands and if it's not where they could nick it with a fill then I'd wonder if it's the doc putting it in. Perhaps it's time for a second opinion before you go through this all again? So sorry for all your trouble, and best wishes! -BG

Yep, I had mine done a little over a month ago. I had a microleak in the elbow portion of the port. It was a minimal outpatient procedure and the recovery was really quick.