Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am about to go through the process of getting the sleeve, and I wanted to hear from sleevers who are also are/were in college. How was the experience (ie. going out with friends, drinking, etc) and how did y'all handle it? Thanks in advance for answering.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm not in college but I am in law school (where, like in college, there is a lot of stress and a lot of drinking), so I am curious what people have to say on this topic. I'll be getting sleeved early next year.

One think to watch out for is alcohol. My Dr said not to drink for 1 year after surgery due to risk of bleeding ulcers. Your tolerance changes dramatically after as well

Sent from my SM-N920G using the BariatricPal App

College was fine. I had no issues, my professors all let me keep Water and Snacks with me, everyone was understanding, it was actually very easy to maintain my weight there since many college folks are so health-conscious.

I stayed away from alcohol for a full year though. It simply wasn't worth it to me to risk permanent damage to my body. Now, I can go out for a night of drinking, but I must give myself lots of time (1.5 hours minimum) to digest food. Mixed drinks take forever because my stomach capacity is small, so I end up pretty much just drinking straight shots, but I pace myself carefully with plenty of time between drinks (and I NEVER MIX CLEARS AND DARKS). If I try to drink too much, I'll vomit. If I mix, I vomit. My sleeve is very good at telling me when enough is enough.

Unlike many people, my alcohol tolerance didn't really change, and after all the weight loss, I still don't really feel much of a difference in the amount it takes for me to get a buzz. But enough people have expressed a lower tolerance, so be careful anyhow!

Lastly, drinking is seriously overrated. I wouldn't do it too often, sleeve or not. Campus culture can be nuts, and it's not good for your health overall to drink so much. I definitely feel the pressure, so I just limit the nights I'll drink, and encourage my friends to take part in activities outside drinking (bowling, trivia, dancing, etc). Learning to have fun and participate in social activities outside of food/drink has been really helpful!

I am currently in college! I will say that it's so weird to go out to eat with friends and see them eating their whole meal and I can only eat a small portion! Servers think I don't like the food haha! It does suck that you can't go to parties and drink, but that's just something that comes with the surgery! the whole experience hasn't been bad at all honestly!

Well, it may be difficult at the beginning, because things will be different, but you'll get used to it. I didn't face any big problems. and everything was good!

I also didn't face any problems or troubles in college. Maybe, it's because I chose the best time for that when I had not had a lot of studies and homework. But also, my groupmates were helpful, and the professors were so understandable. I didn't miss any deadlines, because I managed to do everything, and here is one educational source, which was very helpful for me when I had some writing troubles. But in general, I can say that everything was great, and I hope that all of you who are also in college, won't face them either.