Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have had my band for about 11 years now. I have had a lot of issues with vomiting and reflux. I initially lost about 125 pounds and did very well until about 5 years ago and the weight started to come back even with not being able to keep a lot of things down. I will admit that I did eat slider foods at times because that is all I could keep down. My surgeon left and I started seeing his replacement which I really like. He suggested that I have my band removed due to damage it has done to my esophagus such as Barrett's esophagus which can lead to esophageal cancer. He in fact told me that he has not placed a band in over 5 years and recommend that they be removed. So long story short he submitted the removal to my insurance company and they approved it. I will say that I will be glad on a medical stand point to get ride of it however he also feels that I am a good candidate for gastric bypass. I told him that I kind of feel like a failure with the lap band so why would I want to jump right into another WLS. He told me that I was comparing apples to oranges and that 11 years ago they did not have long term studies on what the lap band did internally to a persons body and they were not meant to be left in place for extended periods of time. He states that he will remove the band and then wait until I heal to do the bypass due to there is a possibility of unforeseen damage. So basically have any of you had any issues like this and actually had the band removed and then later had the bypass? I truly feel that my surgeon is looking out for my best interest and not just wanting to another surgery. Thanks for reading and sorry so long :)

Edited by Michele12

I'm not in the group you're looking for at the moment, but am sure you'll hear from some. I stopped in because you didn't mention sleeve as a possibility. If the surgeon didn't discuss it with you, you might want to bring it up just so you're clear on the options and which one would be better for you. If you've already gone over both procedures with him and done some of your own research....never mind. Here's wishing you the best.

I'm in the same boat as you, though I had my band removed after 5 years. My surgeon won't place bands anymore because of how much damage they cause to the stomach.

I had my bypass 3 weeks ago and my recovery has been so much smoother than recovering with the band. I'm so surprised.

Im curious as to why you waited 5 years to go back to the dr.? Did you not go back every year to get your band checked? And when you started vomiting and reflux... you didn't think... Hmmmm somethings not right here and go back then? Last month when i started with reflux and vomiting i carried myself to the dr. He removed all the Fluid. I have since gone back and got 2cc put back and was going last week but due to the holidays he was booked. Not that i really needed a fill.... but i want to get back to at least 6cc in my band. I feel great....

Im not trying to insult you in anyway... but this is exactly what we were talking about ..... Non compliance. Being compliant with the band means you go to the dr at least once a year for check ups. You listen to your body and take action when something goes wrong. When you don't... it leads to what's going on now.... and leads to people/doctors believing that the LB is horrible.

Did he suggest you remove the fill and see if that helps?

I do wish you all the luck in the world

No insult taken bayougirlmrsc but I did not wait five years, I have been very compliant and have followed up with my surgeon every 6 months or more if there were any issues for the last 11 years. I have had constant issues with my band for the last 5 years. I have had so many fills and unfills that I can not even count. I presently have no Fluid in my band and have not for the last year and I am sill having issue with reflux which is damaging my esophagus and stomach. I do not think that the LB is horrible, however it is causing harm to my body at this point even with my compliance. My actually question was that the surgeon who placed my band left the area and it is the new surgeon that is suggesting the removal and revision. I was not sure if others have had their surgeons suggest the removal or if they asked the surgeon to remove it? I went in to see him for review of my recent blood test and he threw this at me and it actually shocked me. I am also nervous about jumping from one WLS to another.

I still see the nutritionist, attend meetings, get regular blood work and mostly follow the LB diet. I do eat a lot of Soup because that seems to stay down, it is a probably a combination of it being warm and a liquid. But truthfully I am tired of vomiting all the time and having pain. I can drink a Protein shake and vomit or have 3 oz of grilled chicken and it will be fine. It is like my band has a mind of its own and there is no rhyme or reason to it :)

We did talk about the sleeve however he does not recommend it due to the fact the band will leave scar tissue where he will need to cut for the sleeve and there is a high possibility that it will not close completely and cause a leak which is never good!

Rachel I am so happy for you and glad that it went smoothly for you. Can I ask you how long you waited between your surgeries?

Thank you all for the well wishes and same back to you :)

Good... cuz i would never what to do that.... Heck it sounds to me like you did every thing you can... Sometimes sh*t happens... and it looks to be your case. I certainly hope and pray for the very best outcome for you...

Michelle, my surgeon requires at least a 3 month healing period between removing the band and doing a different surgery. My period ended up being 6 months (because of waiting for different tests, approvals, etc).

The band removal recovery was actually more painful than the bypass recovery, but both put together were less painful than recovering from having my band placed!

Oh, both of my WLS surgeries were done by different offices and surgeons. I wasn't happy with the office that placed my band as the surgeon abruptly left and the whole staff was replaced a few months after I'd been banded. They changed everything and were terrible.