Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support, regret and scared

Hello! I am 1 week and 1 day post op. My first 3 days in hospital were rough but felt better everyday after that. Now I am having horrible heartburn and pulling pain from my largest incision. I am so scared I made the wrong choice, I have a full time job and 2 little kids. I feel so scared my life will never be the same. I'm trying to listen to positive meditative healing mp3s, anyone else have similar after surgery? Please any help is appreciated

VSG date: 11/22/16

HW: 225

SW: 222

CW: 214

Everything will be fine. It was about a week after surgery when I started FEELING my incisions. The dull aches and pains go away after a few days. If you still have pain meds from your doc, take advantage of them. As for the heartburn if you're not on a PPI (Zantac, Prilosec, Nexium, etc) get on one! If you're on one, it might not be the right formula for you-- Prilosec does nothing for me, Zantac doesn't last long enough. The only pill that gives me relief is Nexium. If none of the OTC remedies work, see your doctor because he will need to prescribe something to you.

Hang in there, it gets better!

It will get better. There are definitely phases that you will go through. Regarding anxiety about having had the surgery, the first month I thought, "OMG what have a I done, why did I have to have 80% of my stomach cut out to help me conquer obesity?" My mouth was so dry and I couldn't get in enough fluids, The incisions hurt and the last thing I wanted to do was walk around like doctor ordered. I did my best to do what I was supposed to. Some days I didn't and some days I come close (notice how the first month I didn't reach the given goals but I sure tried really hard!!)

About the regret, I felt it too. At some point I said to myself - It's done and it cannot be undone... so let me try to make the best out of it. I looked at alot of before and after pics. I browsed this site for decent shake recipes and other eating tips. (I'm not much of a cook). The scale helped motivate me and give me hope when I lost pounds but I only did it weekly the first few months. I think the light at the end of the tunnel helps to motivate. Also once you start dropping entire dresses sizes - and YOU WILL!! :) It really helps make all the struggles worth it. then you will get your energy back after a few months. (everyone is different so maybe it'll be sooner for you!) I have more energy now than when I was in my teens!!

I'm not going to lie, I was exhausted the first 4-6 months. Loosing so much weight so rapidly takes it out of you. Just take it easy, walk, rest, get your fluids. I lost hair month 4-6; like HALF of it - FREAKED ME OUT!! But I started taking Biotin and using Nioxin for a month or so and it helped it start to grow back. It stopped falling out at 6 months post surgery. Its growing back now. I have 2 inches of fly away outgrowth all over LOL. It's sort of funny actually but I make it work.

Talk to others about your feelings. The group I went to the pre-surgery classes created a private FB forum and we would vent and post our feelings, successes etc. I would also connect with other folks that had bariatric surgery, 1 via this forum. We met for coffee and its nice to hear her perspective. I tried to really focus and listen to her journey. I find when I am down on my situation that listening to others plights helps me to step outside of myself and I feel like I'm helping them by listening and encouraging them. That makes me feel good. (By the way if anyone makes you feel judged/down - IGNORE them and focus on the positive and look to others to help support you.)

I am 10 months post op and 110 lbs down. :D I am eating more variety of food and I don't regret for a single moment having had the surgery. I only wish I had been able to afford to do it sooner. You hang in there girl! We are hear for you!

Height 5'11"

HW:b284

CW:174

GW: ? 160 maybe? Doc says according to my BMI I am officially normal weight. WOHOO!!!

Hello! I am 1 week and 1 day post op. My first 3 days in hospital were rough but felt better everyday after that. Now I am having horrible heartburn and pulling pain from my largest incision. I am so scared I made the wrong choice, I have a full time job and 2 little kids. I feel so scared my life will never be the same. I'm trying to listen to positive meditative healing mp3s, anyone else have similar after surgery? Please any help is appreciated

VSG date: 11/22/16

HW: 225

SW: 222

CW: 214

Hi,

I am right there with you, I had my surgery the same day as you, and I'll tell I really felt prepared but you can never prepare on what the outcome might be!! I been having a bit of regretfulness. But like my uncle said there no turning back what done is done, and I have to make the best of it. I had the RNY knowing it's complications prior and after there's nothing like living it and being real. Let's hang in there we got this, let's be positive and make some great remarkable memories!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Definitely take your PPI. I needed Zantac for the first three months before my stomach stopped pumping out so much dang acid.

Also, yes, I could feel the incision pulling. It hurt quite a bit for a few weeks. Actually it's kind of funny because I'm laying here in a recliner covered in incisions from hip to hip, all the way up the center of my stomach and all around my breasts because I had all my loose skin removed and ALL of the incisions have been pulling this week since I went off of pain medication. It will heal. Follow your doctor's orders. Stay positive!

Augustgirl I am 1 wk 2days post op. Sorry you had a rough start, but it gets so much better! Don't sit around gotta move, it will really help with the gas pain. Get some GasX it helps too. Be patient relax it will get better and you didn't make a mistake! Think positive you can do this!

I'm young, healthy, never used anesthetic during dental work because I had high pain tolerance.

The sleeve is by far the most excruciating pain I've ever known. I could barely move for two weeks. I had to call 911 twice when I couldn't get up off the floor because even the slightest bend in my torso was agony. Slept upright and on my back for two months. Incisions hurt for two months. It was torture.

It just happens. You never know how your body will respond. You will get through this, you will survive, and the pain will be a distant memory and not matter anymore. Now that I'm closer to my goal and living the life I dreamed of, I'd do it a thousand times over.

All you can do is hang on and remember that this too shall pass. The pain is not permanent. It will eventually end. And you're suffering through this for yourself, for your children, for a better life.

Hang in there, friend. It sucks right now, but it gets so, so much better.