Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings from sunny Darwin!

Hi folks,

Thought it was time to introduce myself as I have been lurking around the forums for a while and am starting to feel a bit like I'm stalking. :huh:

First my stats for those on apps. HW 130 kg (286 lbs), CW 118 kg (260 lbs), BMI 39.5, height 173 cm (5' 8"), Surgery: Gastric sleeve on 18 January 2017.

I live in Darwin (Australia) currently. Moved here from Sydney/Central Coast/Newcastle 3 years ago as my shiny new hubby is in the army. Grew up in Brisbane/Gold Coast. I am in adult education - teaching I.T. (programming and spreadsheets) and proud to be a nerd and a dog lover.

I have been on the weight loss roller coaster for 35 years, having first joined Weight Watchers as a 15 year old. I have not been overweight all my life, although I feel like I have been. I look back at pictures now and can see that many times I lost 30 kg (66 lbs) or so and was around 75 kg and pretty slim (unfortunately I had a horrible husband back then who was there to tell me I was fat even when I wasn't!). Surprising I'm so sane now.

Due (at least in part) to my excessive weight, I suffer from knee problems (has surgery on one 2 years ago, and waiting on replacement for the other), I also have lower back problems (bulging discs x 3 and stenosis x 2). I'm super lucky I don't have more medical problems than that. I feel I'm teetering on the edge of that. Need to get this weight off before I tip over the edge.

I also took up scuba diving 3 years ago and I LOVE IT! Sadly I live in one of the only places in Australia where you can't get in the Water due to the excessive number of crocodiles. :o Currently I can only travel to places like Queensland to dive in summer as the water is warm enough to wear a stinger suit (lycra) rather than a wet suit that is needed for cooler/deeper dives. I'm too big to fit into a proper wet suit. :( Too big to do so many things. :(

But this time next year... I won't be too big. Time to get off that roller coaster... :D

Cheers,

Debbie

@@ShinyLady

Hi Debbie, and Welcome!

The January 2017 surgery will be a great New Start to the year!

Best Wishes to you!

PS. I lived in Sydney most of my life, and moved to SE Queensland few years ago.

I have been to Darwin few times, and remember the croc warnings.

I couldn't stand the humidity though ....

Glad you have a lovely new hubby :)

G'day Debbie,

I'm in Sydney & had sleeve done October 2015.

Best thing I've ever done for myself!!!

I wish you all the very best.

Stay positive & look forward to fitting into those wet suits.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Debbie, I'm in Singapore but probably nearer to you than most Aussies. I was sleeved 05th Oct. doing well so far. Worst bit for me was the fear beforehand. Congrats on the new hubby. And good luck with your surgery.

This time next year, you and I will be buying much smaller Xmas party dresses

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@OzRoo - Hi there :) Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, the January surgery is like the New Years's resolution on steroids, isn't it? So many times that resolution was to lose weight, it's been a long time since I believed that I might actually achieve it.

Darwin sure is humid right now. So thankful I live in an air-conditioned world.

We're heading down to SE Qld just after Christmas. I'm so hoping to get into some non-croc infested waters. :)

I see you're around 8 months yourself. How are things going for you?

rose1504 - Hi Rose :)

Thank you so much for the good wishes.

It's great to hear you are still happy with what you've done, down the track. How wonderful for you!

I did buy a ladies size 3XL (about a size 18, I think) pretty purple, biggest size off the rack, ladies' suit to gaze at. Can't wait 'til I fit into it. :) And one day... if I try really hard... it might be too big! :D

Edited by ShinyLady

@@lowbmi65 - Thank you so much for your message.

You're so right. My hubby went to Singapore last month (on the way to Vietnam) it was the same flight time as Sydney is. We are so far away from everyone up here. There isn't even a support group up here. (Physical one, I mean.) Pretty isolated.

I haven't been to Singapore yet. My mother and daughter both want to go there with me... for shopping.

Have you been there a while?

How wonderful it will be to buy a pretty dress for Xmas next year. Yes, indeed. And maybe pretty shoes too. :D

Glad to hear you're going well. Two months tomorrow? Are you back on solid foods yet?

@@OzRoo - Hi there :) Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, the January surgery is like the New Years's resolution on steroids, isn't it? So many times that resolution was to lose weight, it's been a long time since I believed that I might actually achieve it.

Darwin sure is humid right now. So thankful I live in an air-conditioned world.

We're heading down to SE Qld just after Christmas. I'm so hoping to get into some non-croc infested waters. :)

I see you're around 8 months yourself. How are things going for you?

Hi Debbie,

Yes, no crocs here, on the Gold Coast, humid here though too now, thank goodness for air conditioning!

I lost most of my excess weight in the first 6 months. I have been in a long stall lately, same weight but my measurements are still changing, shrinking ....

I basically had a pretty good recovery, with few issues that were caused by my Graves Disease (autoimmune thyroid disease).

If not for Graves, my journey would have been very easy.

I like my new lifestyle and results.

All the best to you!

@@lowbmi65 - Thank you so much for your message.

You're so right. My hubby went to Singapore last month (on the way to Vietnam) it was the same flight time as Sydney is. We are so far away from everyone up here. There isn't even a support group up here. (Physical one, I mean.) Pretty isolated.

I haven't been to Singapore yet. My mother and daughter both want to go there with me... for shopping.

Have you been there a while?

How wonderful it will be to buy a pretty dress for Xmas next year. Yes, indeed. And maybe pretty shoes too. :D

Glad to hear you're going well. Two months tomorrow? Are you back on solid foods yet?

Hi @ShinyLady. Not long now for the new you ?

I've been in Singers for 10 years. I'm originally from the U.K.

I went onto solid foods after two weeks.,I can eat most things but only small quantities. I'm lucky in some respects but need to watch that I don't drift back to bad foods

Is your surgeon in Darwin? If so ask if he can put you in touch with other patients.,mine did and I keep in touch with a girl that had her op a month before me. We're meeting for (mini) lunch on Thursday.

Don't spend any money on clothes now. It will be wasted as they wont fit you soon

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi there,
YES! Indeed I did. Dr Treacy. :)

My time is NOW!