Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is your wife banded ??

I am just wondering how many guys have a wife that is banded ? Mine was banded 4 yrs ago . And has not had great success, her 1st Dr. placed her port on the lower right hand side of her stomach and the port flipped and they can't get to it. she is going in next week to finally have it fixed. I was just banded this year and so far have not had any problems . I am wandering do you share meals when you go out to eat ? How does it affect every day living Thanks , Paul

Yes. Both me and my wife are banded. she was banded about 2 months before me.

It helped me to see what she went through at the hospital before i had it done.

It has definately improved our lifes (and our love lifes). I have no fill right now so no restriction. We have not got to the point of sharing meals but we have stated sharing sides.

I feel like im being cheap sharing a meal in a resturant, id rather get a meal and just eat half and take something home for dinner.

Hey ,thanks for the reply . I know what you mean about sharing a meal I was wondering if I was just feeling Stupid or what , Looks like your doing great on your scale. Paul

I just wanted to let everyone know that things went well for my wife who had the band on 9/12/07. I have been busy and have not had a chance to post. I am also going to get the band on 9/19/07. We are not sure the date when her sister will get hers at this time. Here are the details of how things went.

Here surgery was moved back from 1 P.M. to 3 P.M. So we got to the hospitial at 1 and got check in. They took here back and she go dressed for surgery and they did blood work. Then they took us to the surgery waiting area. They did not allow us to go back into that area. ( I think the reason was are young daughter was with us and there was not enough room in the area for 3 people) they gave us here glasses and she went on into the pre-op area. I saw the doctor before surgery. They did not start surgey until 4 P.M. she was done by 5 P.M. the doctor came out and said it went well and that she was given the new AP regular which is about 10cc and has soem Fluid in it. She was in recovery until about 6:45 P.M.

Then she was moved to her room. Well to say the least that was crazy because it was also shift change and you can iamage how that was. We left about 7:30P.M. that night. Also she could not have nothing to drink or eat until after the barriam swallow test. (We found that out the next day). We new that the test was happing but not that she could not eat. So she had the test on Thursday morning and she passed it with flying colors. So we thought she could go ahead and start drinking and eating but it was another couple of hours before they did anything.(The reason is the nurses will not do anything untill they have a written signed report in the file). So she was complaning of nausea etc. so they kept giving her meds for it. She was able to get up and walk around etc. and she was able to start drinking and eating. We thought that she would be out of the Hosp. by say 3 P.M. but that was not to be the case. Here is another thing that we learned. The clock for the 24 hours does not start when you come in. It starts after surgery and when you get into the room. So they were not planning to let here go before 7 P.M. but no one told us that before hand. The doctor came in a couple of times and check on here and then came back around 5 P.M. and said that she could go. So by the time we got her dressed and all the paper work done it was right at 7 P.M. I brought here home and she is doing fine now.

As far as care at the hospitial was ok. It took a long time to get food etc. when they told us they had it on the floor.(The nurses were busy since the rooms were filled) I think that was part of the reason why she was having problems with nausea etc. Then another thing that was upsetting was how the nurse approached with having to give more meds for infections etc. and saying because you are still here. Well now as I look at it, if you would have brought the food right-a-way we might not have this problem.

So with that said now things will be easier for myself on Wednesday the 19th and for her here sister when she has it done. I did say that I will have a jug of Soup ready for when I can eat and not wait on them to bring it. I think that if would have had it there and ready for when the paper work was in place she might not of had as much nausa as she did. Just iamage what it is like to not eat for almost 30 hours and having legal drugs in your system. No wonder you have nausa.

Again thanks to everyone for all your advice, help and prayers. I will let you know how my surgery went.

My wife was banded a year ago and has lost almost 100 pounds. that was what convinced me to do it just recently, September

My wife and I were both banded on the same day. She had lost up to about 60 lbs, but then I hit the target one night, and she got pregnant and had to get completely unfilled. I feel bad, but it felt good, and now I have a son on the way.

Yes, My wife and I were banded the same day. She has not lost near as much weight as I have, but then she does not exercise as much or is not as strict on her diet.

John

My wife and I were banded on the same day on 9-12-07. we have had one fill and we are doing fine.

Since her sister lives with us they allowed us to have it done on the same day since we would have someone to drive us home.

We stayed overnight and shared a hospital room and waved each other as we got up at different times to use the restroom and walk around.

My wife was banded in March of this year and she has lost 133 pounds. I am scheduled for surgery December 4th. I think things will be a lot easier when we are both on the same page. It's so hard right now when I want to go to a buffet and she can only eat two or three bites of something. We have talked about splitting meals before. Like some of you guys I think it would make me feel cheap, but maybe if we get something to go and then split it once home or something it wouldn't be so bad.

My wife was banded in late April and has lost 60 pounds. She looks and feels great. I have just got the band and look forward to being able to be on the same page with her. Hate to admit it but I was eating my food and her leftovers too.

My wife has decided to get banded. I am not getting banded.

We are going in for the initial consultation in just a few days. We are at the beginning of this entire process/journey.

I need to know from all of you: How can I be the best support for my wife through all of this? What can I expect during, before, and after the surgery?

We'll need to travel 3+ hours for the surgery. Will I need to take our 3 kids to a hotel for overnight, or is it best to find someone to watch the kids at home while we're away?

If I'm not getting banded, how does that change sit-down meal time at home with the whole family?

Thanks, in advance, for all of your input and suggestions. :hungry:

Being banded has not changed our family routine in the slightest. I just eat less. And while I'm no low carber, when the meal involves rice or potatoes, I often dont put any on my plate simply because I cant fit them in. But mealtimes are the same, we eat the same things etc.

My wife is far from needing to be banded, we're like Laurel and Hardy (she's the skinny one ;) ). Since most of the time, we eat dinner alone, she usually makes the same thing for both of us, but just portions me less and shell add more carbs in the form of a bigger baked potato or Pasta. Even though weight is not a problem she has to deal with, she has been going to a nutritionist herself to help her learn to eat healthier.

Sorry for invading "the men's room"! My husband and I are both banded. He did his 15 months before mine. It's great being banded together.