Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I agree with Bayougirl. I went through a bariatric center of excellence. I was presented all the surgical options and I took six months for classes. In the end I decided to have the band, and I'm glad I did. My doctor and I discussed pros and cons of al the surgical options. I chose the lapband based on my personality, eating habits and ability to be compliant with the requirements of this type of surgery. I believe that "all" surgeries have the potential for complications based on numerous factors such as the skill of the surgeon and compliance of the patient. Rarely is it a failure in the equipment (but it can happen).

While the band can be adjusted and removed, they can't put back your stomach after removing 80%. I'm in a support group and now see people who discuss eating more than they should with the sleeve and RNY. While I can have my band adjusted if/when I don't feel the restriction, I am not aware of options to help sleeve patients beyond practicing self control.

Edited by Treadmillwalker

In five years 40% of lap bands fail and only 43% have lost 50% of excess weight after seven years. That's a fact. The band may be able to get adjusted and you can't put the stomach back in with the sleeve BUT many people get lifelong problems because of the band and issues with the sleeve are rare.

I have had the band for 9 years and luckily I have had minor issues but others who I told to go for it have had serious issues. I come from a family full of heavy people and the ones that chose the sleeve other than myself have hit goal with no issues.

Be Real lol.

Edited by dvons

In five years 40% of lap bands fail and only 43% have lost 50% of excess weight after seven years. That's a fact. The band may be able to get adjusted and you can't put the stomach back in with the sleeve BUT many people get lifelong problems because of the band and issues with the sleeve are rare.

I have had the band for 9 years and luckily I have had minor issues but others who I told to go for it have had serious issues. I come from a family full of heavy people and the ones that chose the sleeve other than myself have hit goal with no issues.

Be Real lol.

I disagree with your percentages, but respect your right to your opinion. I just don't agree with it, but wish you success in reaching your goals.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

@@bayougirlmrsc, exactly!

Be Real lol.

I disagree with your percentages, but respect your right to your opinion. I just don't agree with it, but wish you success in reaching your goals.

Here's the study where I got "In five years 40% of lap bands fail and only 43% have lost 50% of excess weight after seven years. ". Many go by opinions, I prefer facts.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16839478&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Be Real lol.

Here's the study where I got "In five years 40% of lap bands fail and only 43% have lost 50% of excess weight after seven years. ". Many go by opinions, I prefer facts.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=16839478&ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

This is an abstract and only reflects a small sample set. It does not go into the causation of the failures such as non compliance with food, follow up appt., taking medications that can cause issues. Without having the full study and understanding the study criteria, rigorous of the analysis, etc this abstract is not scientifically interesting.

I read a lot of success stories from people who have the band and are successful.

I choose to focus on encouraging everyone to reach their goals.

I've had my band for 6 years. When I got mine placed, the lap band was the latest and greatest thing. Now, not so much. But the sleeve is getting more popular. Remember the only weight loss surgery that has been around the longest where you can see long term success/failure is RNY. Who's to say that 5-10 years down the road, there will be problems with all the sleeves?

The biggest thing I wish I would have known before my band was placed, was how finicky it would be. A little stress, and it is too tight. You have frequent adjustments and have to pay copays every time you go in and get it adjusted. And before you meet your deductible, it's like $150- $200 every time. I just don't have the time or the money to be going to the doctor every month for maintenance. Nobody told me any of that.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is an abstract and only reflects a small sample set. It does not go into the causation of the failures such as non compliance with food, follow up appt., taking medications that can cause issues. Without having the full study and understanding the study criteria, rigorous of the analysis, etc this abstract is not scientifically interesting.

I read a lot of success stories from people who have the band and are successful.

Well, by all means... discount research as 'not scientifically interesting', whatever that means, and focus on anecdotal evidence! What a GREAT way to make life-altering decisions!

@@dvons Thanks for trying, but academic rigor around here falls short quite often. I enjoyed the abstract and poking around in PubMed for a little while :)

I had the band for 7 years, successful as well, lost over a hundred pounds, kept it off by eating right and exercising. No serious complications but did get an esophageal dilation a few times for being too tight. User error? No, I don't believe that. Perhaps in some but the band, overall, is more fussy. It depends on many things, like how your body adjusts to the band after adjustments, and it depends on the precision on who does your fills, their knowledge, their experience... Etc. For example, my first surgeon was excellent, found my green zone fast... But after moving, and my body changing due to weight loss, finding a competent surgeon/nurse was not as easy as some may think, especially since the surgeons tends to favor the sleeve over the band these days.... And unfortunately, for me, it not only required technician skill, but it costs $$ and time for each adjustment to find that green zone. Would I recommend it? Sure. I loved my band when I had it, but I think it's good to know all the aspects, the good, the bad and ugly. ^^

I think by "user error" my surgeon meant compliance, that in his experience band people were less likely to follow the rules. But with any procedure we have to follow the rules to be successful. We all know that.

I had the band for 7 years, successful as well, lost over a hundred pounds, kept it off by eating right and exercising. No serious complications but did get an esophageal dilation a few times for being too tight. User error? No, I don't believe that. Perhaps in some but the band, overall, is more fussy. It depends on many things, like how your body adjusts to the band after adjustments, and it depends on the precision on who does your fills, their knowledge, their experience... Etc. For example, my first surgeon was excellent, found my green zone fast... But after moving, and my body changing due to weight loss, finding a competent surgeon/nurse was not as easy as some may think, especially since the surgeons tends to favor the sleeve over the band these days.... And unfortunately, for me, it not only required technician skill, but it costs $$ and time for each adjustment to find that green zone. Would I recommend it? Sure. I loved my band when I had it, but I think it's good to know all the aspects, the good, the bad and ugly. ^^

I think by "user error" my surgeon meant compliance, that in his experience band people were less likely to follow the rules. But with any procedure we have to follow the rules to be successful. We all know that.

@@laceemouse Yeah, I agree with that. I just see a lot of people who are forced to have revisions due to band complications through no fault of their own, and others insisting it didn't work because of their "user error". Product liability type of issue. Hehe

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

I've had my band for 6 years. When I got mine placed, the lap band was the latest and greatest thing. Now, not so much. But the sleeve is getting more popular. Remember the only weight loss surgery that has been around the longest where you can see long term success/failure is RNY. Who's to say that 5-10 years down the road, there will be problems with all the sleeves?

I totally agree with the above statement... who's to say that problems won't accrue with sleeve and no one knows the long term successes... because it fairly new..... I can tell you that i have had numerous friends that had the band, GB and a few sleeves. I see the biggest long term success are with people who are complaint with their doctors and the rules of their surgery which ever it is. Just in the past day or two... i saw post from long term GB patients that are now back or close to their weight and looking for advice...

The biggest thing I wish I would have known before my band was placed, was how finicky it would be. A little stress, and it is too tight. You have frequent adjustments and have to pay copays every time you go in and get it adjusted. And before you meet your deductible, it's like $150- $200 every time. I just don't have the time or the money to be going to the doctor every month for maintenance. Nobody told me any of that.

Devils advocate..... no one told you all the above? Why didn't you take it upon your self to research as much as you could... I had mine done Nov. 2009 and all this information was out there... i know because i read it as much as i could get my grubby hands on.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

User Error is the #1 reason.... in ALL WLS.....failures. that's not to say some problems aren't due to product and or doctor issues.... My friend had sleeve and ended up in the hospital for a month due to the doctor f*cking up.

Well, by all means... discount research as 'not scientifically interesting', whatever that means, and focus on anecdotal evidence! What a GREAT way to make life-altering decisions!

@@dvons Thanks for trying, but academic rigor around here falls short quite often. I enjoyed the abstract and poking around in PubMed for a little while :)

I noticed. :lol: I didn't get the "not scientifically interesting" part either, and I really don't get the abstract comment. If they want to see the methods, it's right there. If they want fine details, they could get a subscription. Don't matter, I suppose, as long as others get it. Good to do research on your surgery and not just go by opinions before one goes under the knife. Some sound just like the lap band ads in 2005. smh

I wonder why of all WLS the band people are less likely to follow the rules? My doctor said the same thing. Now the balloon or whatever it is they got going on now seems to be less problematic compared to the lap band.