Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating normal as in pre surgery normal

@@higher

I feel like if I was this size 15 years ago, my career would have gone so much further and I was kind of a rock star as was back then, but there is no telling where I would be now if I was smaller back then. CTO some place probably *sigh*

I am asking - when can I have a normal intake of food?

Paralyzed /Canadian/Mexican Sleeve

Never, the sleeve is permanent.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't understand the comments saying "Never" on being able to eat normal portions. If that were so true, then why would people start to gain weight again after reaching their goal weight? You read countless studies and they will tell you that eventually you will "eat through" your sleeve, meaning you start to stretch your stomach out again, slowly but surely it can happen. If that were the case, you would only be able to consume 1-2 ounces of liquids/food for the rest of your life, as you did directly after surgery. Your stomach will become bigger ever so slightly as time goes by, which to those of us crazy people who had issues with food and had the surgery for some ridiculous reason other than medical conditions, that's a problem. Thank God for the pouch reset trick that will help you shrink it down again... anyways... if you so desire to eat yourself through the sleeve and have an outstretched stomach again, you certainly may. It's your body, do what you will to it.

But if you start to stretch your stomach too much too fast, don't be surprised when you suffer some of those potentially life threatening side effects and have to be rushed to the hospital.

The sleeve doesn't stretch people eat around it by eating sliders or small amounts all day long.

@@OutsideMatchInside

That's unfortunate but believable. My weight definitely holds me back in my career. I've already started getting better assignments since losing. It's a combination of being perceived differently by others and an increase in my own ability to focus and perform as I get healthier.

It's not fair that people perceive the obese as less capable, less smart, less hard working but it's definitely a thing.

@@higher

I feel like if I was this size 15 years ago, my career would have gone so much further and I was kind of a rock star as was back then, but there is no telling where I would be now if I was smaller back then. CTO some place probably *sigh*

Aren't you in Chicago??! We definitely need a meetup! Lol

Absolutely look forward to eating like normal as in skinny normal.

Well ya don't need to stretch your sleeve for that. Which is good as they don't stretch.

I like life. I like drinking and eating with friends. I never had eating issues. Not obese. I gained 70lbs in 6 month (medical) and did the surgery to drop that weight and 'get on with life' I don't obsess about food or plot ways to cheat. I follow the rules . I think my excess weight will be gone by march. Then I want to stretch the sleeve and eat and drink (wine) as always. My weight was stable for 20 years before my medical condition caused the gain and that's been fixed. Anyone done this? If yes when?

If you have no food issues, and you don't obsess about food, then why the need for wls? Many naturally thin people who temporarily gain weight due to physical problems, once they can physically eat normally, the weight just naturally comes off. It doesn't become an issue for them. My grandmother who was naturally thin, became permanently bed ridden, gained a little at first, lost it, never gained any weight again for the rest of her life. You gained seventy pounds. That is a lot of weight to gain, and that's a lot of intake calories. Once you do lose it due to your sleeve, chances are it'll come back two fold if you do eat around your sleeve (or as you said, stretch your sleeve to eat and drink as you want), especially if you couldn't lose the weight naturally in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Carbonated Perrier might help :)

Carbonation doesn't really stretch it either. I drink a lot of Perrier myself but mostly before or in between meals. It can be really painful too soon after a meal (even waiting an hour might not be enough) and I'm not sure that will ever change. Same goes for champagne.

Nope it's air. Carbonation stretching the sleeve is a myth.

Carbonation doesn't really stretch it either. I drink a lot of Perrier myself but mostly before or in between meals. It can be really painful too soon after a meal (even waiting an hour might not be enough) and I'm not sure that will ever change. Same goes for champagne.

How far out are you? I desperately miss seltzer but am afraid as I heard it can be very uncomfortable

How far out are you? I desperately miss seltzer but am afraid as I heard it can be very uncomfortable

5 months post-op. I never had a restriction on seltzer so I believe I had my first around 3 weeks post-op. I have no issues with it on an empty stomach, but the sole time I've thrown up post-op was from drinking seltzer too soon after a meal of dense Protein. It was like an hour after I ate steak and the seltzer was super bubbly. So now I won't drink seltzer if I feel any fullness in my stomach after a meal. But in between and beforehand- totally as refreshing as ever. And a good way to get in Water and minerals.