Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating normal as in pre surgery normal

@@Dysruption

People eat around their sleeve by eating get sliders and trash food. Also by grazing.

Almost no one is regaining by pounding down steak or grilled chicken breasts. They start eating carbs and go full bender on them. Then add in drinking calories and yeah it's easy to slide right into regain.

I'll probably never have a 12 or 16 ounces steak again but no one should be eating that much steak at one sitting so the fact I can eat a normal portion is fine.

Sounds like a person court ordered to go to AA who sits in the back of the meetings saying they don't belong there.....

Sent from my SM-J700P using the BariatricPal App

I eat about a half a cup of purée 2 months out now. I won't be enjoying any Christmas parties this year so hopefully next year!

Paralyzed /Canadian/Mexican Sleeve

I'm 2+ years post op, and my absolute max is a cup of food, and that only depends on what it is. Most of the time it's 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup. I know someone who is over 3 years out who's max is 1/4 cup.

If those are considered "normal" portions, then okay.

Something ironic is that often the portion we can eat is indeed the serving size. This doesn't hold true for everything, but servings are often 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Just something I find interesting.

I'm 5 months out. I don't eat the way that was "normal" for ME pre-op because I ate too much crap but the way I eat NOW is normal for skinny people. Small portions, hold the bread, no dessert- that's the "normal" lifestyle for all the skinny Manhattan ladies I work with. And I have wine at least once a week. So it depends what you mean by normal I guess.

I'm 5 months out. I don't eat the way that was "normal" for ME pre-op because I ate too much crap but the way I eat NOW is normal for skinny people. Small portions, hold the bread, no dessert- that's the "normal" lifestyle for all the skinny Manhattan ladies I work with. And I have wine at least once a week. So it depends what you mean by normal I guess.

It's funny that you say that about the skinny Manhattan chicks you're around. I've been watching a lot more tv than I usually do bc I've been tired and weak post op, and I've noticed all the real housewives of OC are super into low carb and barely eat. See? We're just fancy now ;)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's funny that you say that about the skinny Manhattan chicks you're around. I've been watching a lot more tv than I usually do bc I've been tired and weak post op, and I've noticed all the real housewives of OC are super into low carb and barely eat. See? We're just fancy now ;)

I specifically remember a work dinner a couple of years ago when one of the sales ladies from New York was analyzing the menu looking for something under 300 or 400 calories. I thought to myself what a horrible life as I proceeded to order and scarf down buffalo chicken tenders, french fries, and 3 glasses of red wine. Now, I see how much better life can be by making those choices as she did. It is amazing the mental shift that this journey requires and insists that you cultivate over time!

Exactly! I eat normal for a health conscious person. I eat proper portion sizes, which isn't usually what people are served. I have no issues with leaving food on my plate. I eat the way people are supposed to eat, not how people are eating.

@@blizair09 @@OutsideMatchInside

Yes that's totally what it is! I had a really lovely experience recently traveling for work trip recently. I was out to dinner with a senior colleague, a professionally dressed slender woman, at a gorgeous little French boite in New England. The waitress came over to see if we wanted the complimentary bread basket or no. I swear back when I was way fatter, or if I had been with a group of dudes she would have just dropped off the bread basket. But she knows when she sees two nicely dressed ladies visiting from NYC they will most likely leave the bread basket untouched. It was a great NSV.

@@higher

When I was huge and worked in NYC it was brutal. Most of the women I worked with barely ate, and I was a complete glutton. Luckily my team was mostly guys and they were greedy with me.

I specifically remember a work dinner a couple of years ago when one of the sales ladies from New York was analyzing the menu looking for something under 300 or 400 calories. I thought to myself what a horrible life as I proceeded to order and scarf down buffalo chicken tenders, french fries, and 3 glasses of red wine. Now, I see how much better life can be by making those choices as she did. It is amazing the mental shift that this journey requires and insists that you cultivate over time!

We are totally just fancy now. Not to mention I can now analyze a menu for the "right" choice in like 30 seconds flat and no one will even notice I'm ordering in any kind of special or weird way.

Living in NYC and being a professional, running in certain circles etc helps. I could tell people I'm on an all moon dust diet or I'm doing something Gwyneth Paltrow recommended and nobody would blink. Women I work with go on Soup fasts, juice fasts etc. High Protein low carb is super normal next to all that.

My God...other than having hit my goal this week, the last 6 days have been the worst I've had in, well, ever.

I SO NEEDED THIS LAUGH!!!!!

Thank you to the OP for providing folly and levity to my otherwise bleak week!!!

@@higher

When I was huge and worked in NYC it was brutal. Most of the women I worked with barely ate, and I was a complete glutton. Luckily my team was mostly guys and they were greedy with me.

It is brutal. Was brutal. Past tense now. I'm still fatter than most of these women but far from the fattest and I fit into designer clothes now. Not to mention I have always had better taste and style than most of them and that really shows now that I'm slimmer.

Hahah the gwyneth Paltrow recommendation! Hahah I love this thread. I live in LA, so I don't need to explain the value of looks, or how everyone is on some type of eating regimen lol

I'm 2+ years post op, and my absolute max is a cup of food, and that only depends on what it is. Most of the time it's 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup. I know someone who is over 3 years out who's max is 1/4 cup.

If those are considered "normal" portions, then okay.

Something ironic is that often the portion we can eat is indeed the serving size. This doesn't hold true for everything, but servings are often 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Just something I find interesting.

Yes, totally. We eat what 'normal' portions SHOULD be, not what Americans think they are.