Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAIRLOSS NIGHTMARE

I had surgery July 27th, and about a month and a half ago it started falling out. By the handful. Luckily I have extremely thick hair, but its thinning so much by my standards of what i'm used to, I'm scared i'll go bald!

My doctor started me on 2,500 mcg of Biotin but told me unfortunately the Hair loss just happens, the only thing i can really do is stock up on Protein and Biotin to make sure the hair that grows back is thick and healthy.

Can anyone that's gone through this please please PLEASE give me some hope?! When can i expect this to slow down and eventually end? My hair was pretty much the only feature i liked about myself prior to surgery, and when it falls out in clumps, it is really messing with my self confidence!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

So, I was sleeved 8/4/16 and my hair started falling out about 5 weeks ago. I had what all my friends call "mermaid hair". I've started using Nioxin Shampoo, taking a hair Vitamin (that sugar bear hair Gummy that's advertised) and being more diligent about my Protein. Had all my labs rechecked with my PCP just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. I feel like the loss is starting to slow and I seem to have a lot of new baby hairs coming in. My PCP said that Hair loss is common after a stressful event, which surgery definitely is!! He said will usually take about 6 months after the stressful event to stop. Which kinda freaks me out because I have to have hip surgery in mid January and I'm afraid that will just kick off another 6 months of losing hair.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Pandorica217

Oh and I totally understand the self confidence. Before any weight loss my hair was the the one thing I felt good about myself. It was the thing that even all my skinny friends were jealous of.

So, I was sleeved 8/4/16 and my hair started falling out about 5 weeks ago. I had what all my friends call "mermaid hair". I've started using Nioxin Shampoo, taking a hair Vitamin (that sugar bear hair Gummy that's advertised) and being more diligent about my Protein. Had all my labs rechecked with my PCP just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. I feel like the loss is starting to slow and I seem to have a lot of new baby hairs coming in. My PCP said that Hair loss is common after a stressful event, which surgery definitely is!! He said will usually take about 6 months after the stressful event to stop. Which kinda freaks me out because I have to have hip surgery in mid January and I'm afraid that will just kick off another 6 months of losing hair.

Its not the stress of any surgery, its this Wls. Ive had several surgeries, major back surgery, neck surgery and double knee surgery 2x and 3 csections and never had my hair fall out. But this surgery with our bodies lossing the nature nutrients that we automatically produced is being lost. Thats why its so important to get that Protein in. I started with the Biotin when i started the process because i just didnt want this to be soooo bad. Maybe it wont be as bad since i already have it in my system. Good luck with that

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Its not the stress of any surgery, its this Wls. Ive had several surgeries, major back surgery, neck surgery and double knee surgery 2x and 3 csections and never had my hair fall out. But this surgery with our bodies lossing the nature nutrients that we automatically produced is being lost. Thats why its so important to get that Protein in. I started with the Biotin when i started the process because i just didnt want this to be soooo bad. Maybe it wont be as bad since i already have it in my system. Good luck with that

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Yes it can be THIS surgery that caused the hair loss for YOU. However, any majorly stressful event can cause hair loss. Which means that any type of major surgery can cause hair loss. The type of hair loss is called telogen effluvium. It can be from the weight loss, decreased nutrients, hormone imbalance, the general stress of having a major surgery and sometimes as a side effect to general anesthesia. But just because you didn't have hair loss until this surgery does NOT mean it's the cause for others. Sometimes, it is simply because your body went through a stressful event.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hair loss should come to an end and regrowth start near the end of the weight loss phase as you slide into the maintenance phase.

I am also losing hair by handfuls and I had surgery 8-18-16. It is very depressing to me because like many, my hair was the one thing I had that I liked. I've lost about 1/2 my hair now. If this goes on until weight loss stops I am going to be bald. I have only been losing hair for 3 weeks, and have lost half.... so now I'm terrified!

I had rny on 4-26-16, and have had quite a bit of hair loss. The last month or so, I've noticed it seems to have slowed down, and some of my hair is actually growing back now. Good luck!

I'm pre op and I am scared to death of loosing a lot of hair. Ive been taking Vitamins and Biotin for 6 months and I've been keeping my Protein up. I've heard good things about Nixon Shampoo and detachable shampoo, but haven't tried these yet. I've watched some pretty amazing YouTube videos to help hide the Hair loss. All sorts of great techniques. Maybe that will help while you are going through this. Best of luck.

Sent from my Y538 using the BariatricPal App

I lost some hair but never had bald patches!! And it all grew back!!

I had GB on 8/2 of this year. I just washed my hair and was horrified at the amount of hair that came out in my hand. I started noticing it falling out a few weeks ago but today was more than I have ever seen. I cut my hair shorter to help it look thicker and I use Toppik to help hide the bald spots. I am frightened like everyone else. I am at the 50 lb loss mark and I suppose it was going to happen at some point.

Has anyone out there used the laser comb or cap for Hair loss?

Thanks to rny.chica for posting and all who responded.

I am like many others... love my hair. I am about 8 weeks post-op and watching for this like a hawk. I didn't realize this could happen months later...OMG!

Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to prevent it from happening? For example, taking Biotin. If I start that now, would it prevent? Going to a support group later this week and the nutritionist on 12/20 and will see if I can get answers there also.