Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate that I had this surgery

I feel your pain. I also had a lot of nausea and what I thought was hunger pangs, was just gas. It didn't resolve until 10 days out. I was on full liquids for 5 weeks and my stomach didn't like anything. I lived on pudding, not fat free or sugar free, they made me sick but just the regular individual cups. Premier Protein went down well because it's thin. I used the 2oz med cups they gave me at the hospital. Drank 2 oz of Protein or Water or Gatorade every 15 min all day except when I had pudding. Had to use Zofran, Tums, etc for several weeks. The NP at my doctors office said the stomach is inflamed and "angry" from being cut and if takes about 6 months for it to heal. Sept 1 was my surgery and today, just over 3 months out, I still have those days. When I first got the go ahead to eat, my stomach didn't like anything. I just drop back for a few days to fluids until I feel better. Take my Vitamins religiously and sip the fluids. But I also have days that I can snack all day long. Very important not to get dehydrated. I agree with previous posts in that you should see your surgeon and find a support group.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I hope this poster is ok, she hasnt posted since this thread. At any rate I wonder if she has considered that since they cant find anything wrong with her physically that this is more of a psychological thing? I know food aversions and such are usually a result of irrational fear and not a physical intolerance of food. Just a thought...

I hope this poster is ok, she hasnt posted since this thread. At any rate I wonder if she has considered that since they cant find anything wrong with her physically that this is more of a psychological thing? I know food aversions and such are usually a result of irrational fear and not a physical intolerance of food. Just a thought...

I hope the OP is okay too.

Food aversion is often the result of food intolerance plus reinforcement created by post op nausea. Not really an irrational fear.

We are taught that due to the severity of our major surgery, that vomiting post op can tear our stitches which would result in a possibly fatal leak.

So when we have overwhelming nausea, at even drinking Water, post op, food is out of the question in both our bodies and minds.

Then add the intolerance of lactose, the weird odd feeling of food in the new sleeve, weird taste changes, pain, gas etc. which makes you nauseous post op, all physical issues in the body.

So a symbiotic problem. One that isn't often discussed. And I haven't been able to obtain any treatment from my bariatric team so am having to push my already stretched GP for help.

The usual answer is that all of this will pass. And I must be honest, things do evolve continually.

I just hope that someone is supporting her, looking after her.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Omg my heart hurts for you I'm so sorry you are suffering through this you do need a support group and our friends here have the best advice because we have all gone through some differences I had a great after surgery experience with the exception of my short term stall but it's ok it will happen but please keep us posted I'm really concerned

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

9 hours ago, Depressed diva said:

I am one week post op and I regret I got the surgery. I wish I would’ve listened to my husband.

It gets so much better from there. Don't give up on it yet. The first week is the hardest; the second week is the second hardest. In a couple of months you're going to be astounded at the positive changes in your life. Hang in there.

I had my surgery nearly three years ago and have turned into a horrible person. My language is awful and I'm a alcoholic

Edited by lillibelle
Weight

If you have starvation ketosis, have you tried eating carbohydrates?

I’m really sorry for how you’re feeling. I believe part of the nausea you’re experiencing is the lack of Proteins and calories in your diet. I agree with others that you need to add non-flavored Protein Powder to your broth or whatever you’re drinking. You really need the proteins and at least 1000 calories to function.

I would suggest making an appointment with a therapist. I believe a therapist will be beneficial in helping you workout those issues regarding with your surgery. A therapist will also teach you ways to be with family members even if they don’t support you.

I know from experience what your body does when you push your feelings and frustration away or try to deal with them alone. Your body can physically make you sick.

I had gotten so sick for almost two years for not dealing with tough issues with my older sister my college classes. I let it fester to the point I ended up using my wheelchair cause every time I stood up to try walk I passed out. Doctors didn’t know what was causing the problem. It through all kinds of testing. All tests came back normal. Finally a psychiatrist came to my hospital room to evaluate me. He figured out that my continued passing out ended up related to severe stress to where I had withdraw from my college classes.

I think you’re trying to deal with your emotional pain by yourself or you’re pushing the away so you don’t have to deal with them. With that said this could be adding to the nausea along with the lack of of nutrition you’re experiencing.

I know when I was having nausea from my gastric sleeve surgery which was on 11/01 I was afraid to drink anything except my Water. When I explained this to my doctor, he said my nausea was due to lack of Protein and calorie intake. Even though it was difficult I had to push myself to drink my Protein Drinks. I have the Boost Glucose Control MAX 30g of protein. My doctor and nutritionist require me to get 64 to 80 grams of protein per day.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:46 AM, Depressed diva said:

I am one week post op and I regret I got the surgery. I wish I would’ve listened to my husband.

i was the same, I am now nearly 5 months out and finally feeling so much better( I got that bad I was put in hospital on suicide watch) then sent 6 weeks on my sisters couch. It gets better I didnt believe it when people would tell me that but it doe. your hormones are most likely going haywire ATM too. given the choice again knowing what i know now would i do it again probably not but we cant turn back time but in saying that i would still be over 100kg instead of 77kg. I still have bad moments/days but it does get better.

P.S. I too am wondering about the OP hope she is doing ok

Edited by SleeverSk