Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate that I had this surgery

I would simply stay on Protein Shakes a while longer.

It took me 6 weeks to feel quasi normal. At 9 weeks I still have my days. Try to get your calories up some, maybe fairlife milk can help if you kix it in shakes since it's more calories than Water and has extra Protein.

As for your husband ... do y'all own a literal dog house?

Please know that there are people out here who suffered much as you are now. And I want you to know that things will change.

I used to get a bit irritated when people would say, I know how sick you are but look how much weight you've lost!

No one would say that if you were sick after surgery for any other reason.

My family were so upset that I had put my life at risk for an elective surgery so their support was limited.

I couldn't eat anything or drink milk, Protein shakes etc for weeks.

But what I could do was drink Water. And I concentrated on that. Then I could drink clear chicken broth, beef broth. This went on for months.

After I was re admitted to hospital with starvation issues, I was put on a glucose drip for a week. So when I went home, I would put a 1/4 tsp of honey in tea.

You can do this but you really have to concentrate. You should be taking fluids in all day long.

I had to go back to clear fluids three times.

You can do this. Just concentrate on healing, resting, getting well. Look inward. Get support online, from church outreach, pressure your team to do their jobs.

My team was useless and I got through it. So will you.

Prayers and hugs coming your way. I help support other people via message here so please reach out if you need to, you are not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know every time I post all I do is complain but I have no one who listens or understands. I regret this surgery so bad. My mom told me to eat too much and stretch my stomach out and go back to normal. Is she crazy or what? The other night my husband told me this wasn't his problem. And my mother in law who was a big support just doesn't get it.

I went to the local hospital Monday evening. I was hoping their ER would give me a different idea what's going on. I had tried to call my surgeon again that day and never heard back so I just went in here. They said I had starvation ketosis and my body was eating itself and I had low potassium. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days and told I would have to follow up with my surgeon because their Bariatric doctors won't touch someone else's patient. Well Ok then. I am constantly sick feeling or just feeling like crap. I don't feel right at all. I have spent a lot of time thinking lately trying to pin point things and I realize I started out ok but when I was able to switch to regular soft foods that's when this started. Now no matter what I have except Water I feel ill. I also realize if I try something more solid that's not pure liquid it feels like a brick in my stomach. I typically stick to a few spoons of broth or nothing. I'd rather not eat. Who wants to feel bad?

After coming home last night I left a message for the surgeons office and their PA called back. Every time I talk to him I have to start my story over. I have to repeat everything and get asked the same questions over and over. No I don't have a gallbladder, no I am

not vomiting, my surgery date was 10/17/16, etc. Don't they keep files or something? I tell him what the hospital here says and it's like in one ear and out the other. He thought I said starvation psychosis and I said no ketosis and then he said this is what happens when you go to other hospitals. I went to one with a Bariatric program! I figured they knew something. Anyway he told me to start over from day one of the diet. Ok fine. He says my stomach is inflamed blah blah and it's not because of what I did or did not do right and asks if I think that will help. I said no and he asked why and I said because I go days without eating so how could it be inflamed? But he still insists this. He tells me to come in on Monday morning to be seen and we can go from there unless it's still not better during this long weekend he says to call him and I can be sent to his hospital. Well it's still the same last night and today. All I do is cry and lay in bed or sleep. I only made it at work one day and here I am off again. I am not ok. All anyone ever runs are blood and urine tests. I have no more veins left to be poked. I feel like something is broke. I keep hearing some people take longer to heal. I'm not in pain I am sick! I don't understand what is going on. I can't live like this the rest of my life! The anti nausea meds don't work anymore. I want to call the surgeons office again and tell them I don't feel good still but I feel like it gets me no where. I used to think I was tough. I was wrong. Feeling sick is the worst thing. I never imagined this would be like this. I just want to go back and never do it. :(

i

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I completely understand. My recovery was also very rough. Constant hunger, pain, and nausea. I also thought about just pigging out and go back. But this soon after you would be so sick. I had to have two CT scans and labs 2 times per week. But their attitude was awful. Kept telling me I was only hungry in my head. I had horrible nausea and my stomach would growl constantly. I maybe got about 20 oz of Water in per day. They kept reeling if I don't drink i have to go in forIV Fluid. When I just felt so bad I told them I need Fluid then they said no just keep drinking. I ended up going to an urgent care center and got 2 liters of fluid. I never bothered telling the surgeon's office. I regretted having the surgery. It took 3 months to start feeling better. At 7 months after surgery I reached my goal weight and have kept it off for 18 months to date. Just keep sipping Water and take it one hour at a time. Stay strong and don't give up! It is a long tough journey but try not to get discouraged. Be patient with yourself.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had my surgery 9/28/2016 and I feel like I should have gotten the surgery. I had a meltdown for about 2 weeks.. it's hard getting my Protein in and Water I only lost twenty pounds. I'm disappointed in myself I don't know what to do. I feel like crap.

I will fully admit that I had an easy recovery but I want to add.

You are never going to better until you are getting some nourishment. So you should sip on broth with unflavored Protein powder all day. You are always going to feel sick and ill until you get get over 600 calories a day. The longer you go without eating and the less you eat, the harder it is going to be to eat and the worse you are going to feel. You are just going to feel weaker each day.

Drink Protein that is a Water consistency all day. Options are broth with Protein Powder, Protein2O Water, Syntrax Nectars.

Even someone with a stricture should be able to get down liquids that are of a watery consistency.

I had Strictures and I had 5 ENDOSCOPES with 4 Dilations. I am here to say I COULD NOT hold down even Water!!! I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. Right away I started having problems but I thought it was just me learning how much to eat. It felt like the food set on top of my pouch but would go down after awhile. My first ENDO was Nov 2013, Dec 2013, Jan 2014, July 2013. With my last Endoscope and dilation was Jan 2015. I can tell you I NEVER ate anything off my program so it wasn't caused by what I ate. They explained it this way....Strictures are like scar tissue, and we just never know who will have a problem with them. They should have realized that I would be one to suffer with them because it took them 45 minutes to cut thru the scar tissue from past surgeries. So just to clear it up, I couldn't hold down even water.

I know every time I post all I do is complain but I have no one who listens or understands. I regret this surgery so bad. My mom told me to eat too much and stretch my stomach out and go back to normal. Is she crazy or what? The other night my husband told me this wasn't his problem. And my mother in law who was a big support just doesn't get it.

I went to the local hospital Monday evening. I was hoping their ER would give me a different idea what's going on. I had tried to call my surgeon again that day and never heard back so I just went in here. They said I had starvation ketosis and my body was eating itself and I had low potassium. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days and told I would have to follow up with my surgeon because their Bariatric doctors won't touch someone else's patient. Well Ok then. I am constantly sick feeling or just feeling like crap. I don't feel right at all. I have spent a lot of time thinking lately trying to pin point things and I realize I started out ok but when I was able to switch to regular soft foods that's when this started. Now no matter what I have except Water I feel ill. I also realize if I try something more solid that's not pure liquid it feels like a brick in my stomach. I typically stick to a few spoons of broth or nothing. I'd rather not eat. Who wants to feel bad?

After coming home last night I left a message for the surgeons office and their PA called back. Every time I talk to him I have to start my story over. I have to repeat everything and get asked the same questions over and over. No I don't have a gallbladder, no I am

not vomiting, my surgery date was 10/17/16, etc. Don't they keep files or something? I tell him what the hospital here says and it's like in one ear and out the other. He thought I said starvation psychosis and I said no ketosis and then he said this is what happens when you go to other hospitals. I went to one with a Bariatric program! I figured they knew something. Anyway he told me to start over from day one of the diet. Ok fine. He says my stomach is inflamed blah blah and it's not because of what I did or did not do right and asks if I think that will help. I said no and he asked why and I said because I go days without eating so how could it be inflamed? But he still insists this. He tells me to come in on Monday morning to be seen and we can go from there unless it's still not better during this long weekend he says to call him and I can be sent to his hospital. Well it's still the same last night and today. All I do is cry and lay in bed or sleep. I only made it at work one day and here I am off again. I am not ok. All anyone ever runs are blood and urine tests. I have no more veins left to be poked. I feel like something is broke. I keep hearing some people take longer to heal. I'm not in pain I am sick! I don't understand what is going on. I can't live like this the rest of my life! The anti nausea meds don't work anymore. I want to call the surgeons office again and tell them I don't feel good still but I feel like it gets me no where. I used to think I was tough. I was wrong. Feeling sick is the worst thing. I never imagined this would be like this. I just want to go back and never do it. :(

I completely understand you. I've had problems myself. I'm dry heaving since week 5 been back and forwards to surgeon. He's doing a swallow test next week. I HATE eating. Completely hate it. Nothing feels good going down. I can't eat much I'm just tired of trying to make myself eat or drink. I'm on different types of meds now. One for gas and others for anti nausea to help with dry heaving, these meds make me sleepy. I'm fed up. I've lost 50lbs but can't get any happiness from it because I feel crap.

I hope you get the help you need Hun.

I'm going to give you 2 pieces of very concrete advice.

First, you can't lay in bed and cry, you HAVE to figure out how to get some nourishment into your body. You feel awful, of course, but you're only going to feel MORE awful if you don't get something in to keep your electrolytes up. I have problems with my potassium levels, it started while I was in the hospital post-op and I still have to be careful. Milk is a good source of potassium, and Fairlife milk has good Protein, too, plus it helps replenish the Calcium you lose when your potassium is low.
broth with Protein Powder is a MUST for you right now, and you should use the Fairlife milk and add Protein to it as well. And you need to get your Water in, whether you're nauseated or not.

Second, if your medical team won't respond to you, you need to find someone new. Period. Call around and find someone who will take you. Tell your current team that you're leaving if they don't take your care seriously. You need carefully coordinated care right now and speaking only to a PA who can't be bothered to pull your chart before calling you back isn't competent care. Go to the ER again if you have to and tell them your practice won't take you seriously. It's absolutely critical that you're under the care of a team who understands the complications that follow bariatric surgery and if your original surgeon won't provide care, you HAVE to find someone else.

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful and I hope this isn't worded too strongly for you, but you're sick and feeling hopeless and you MUST do something to help yourself. Get some broth and protein in your stomach, drink Water and make phone calls on Monday. It WILL get better!

I appreciate everyone's kind words, stories, and concern. It's so encouraging to know it can and will get better. I just don't have much optimism right now.

I went to the ER again because I felt worse. I finally got a CT scan. It shows nothing abnormal going on in my belly. It did show some very tiny (doctor said if you squint) sign of appendicitis. Now I'm worried about that. I asked if it just stays like that or what. They said as long as no other symptoms of appendicitis I'm ok. I feel like I'm lying in wait for that to happen now. She said if you ask 100 doctors half would be concerned half wouldn't. So whatever that means.

While in the ER they called my surgeon and he wants me to come in this coming week for an EGD. It's about time! I left there with carafate. Since leaving last night I am now to the point of vomiting for real. It's not just nausea. I've got the saliva going crazy, heart racing etc going on and it's takes everything I've got to not do it. It's happened several times. I've taking 2 doses of the carafate. I don't know if it doesn't anything or not. I also got some pedilyte popcicles. I tried to eat one earlier. I'm just trying to get fluids in. It makes it harder now that I am on the verge of throwing up.

As for my husband and his stupid comments. He's an alcoholic so that doesn't make anything easy. He keeps drinking because he's worried about me he says. How dumb is that? I need him to get his act together and at least take care of our youngest. His mom isn't a reliable source of help and my kids aren't allowed over at my parents house anymore. (Long story but my brother was inappropriately touching our daughter and that's still under investigation.) I am having a lot of problems financially or I'd hire a babysitter. I feel like I have one issue after another and I just need something to go right. I need my health more than I need anything. So here's to hoping this gets better very soon.

I had my surgery 9/28/2016 and I feel like I should have gotten the surgery. I had a meltdown for about 2 weeks.. it's hard getting my Protein in and Water I only lost twenty pounds. I'm disappointed in myself I don't know what to do. I feel like crap.

I'm so sorry you feel this way! When I hear it from someone else it makes me even more sad. It's so hard not knowing what to do. I feel like doctors are doctors for a reason and they should be able to fix everything and in this case people like us are stuck! I don't think we should feel disappointed in ourself if we did everything we were supposed to. It's hard to wrap our minds around it though. Feeling bad sucks. I hope it will soon get better for you too!

First, you can't lay in bed and cry, you HAVE to figure out how to get some nourishment into your body. You feel awful, of course, but you're only going to feel MORE awful if you don't get something in to keep your electrolytes up. I have problems with my potassium levels, it started while I was in the hospital post-op and I still have to be careful. Milk is a good source of potassium, and Fairlife milk has good Protein, too, plus it helps replenish the Calcium you lose when your potassium is low.

broth with Protein powder is a MUST for you right now, and you should use the Fairlife milk and add protein to it as well. And you need to get your Water in, whether you're nauseated or not.

Second, if your medical team won't respond to you, you need to find someone new. Period. Call around and find someone who will take you. Tell your current team that you're leaving if they don't take your care seriously. You need carefully coordinated care right now and speaking only to a PA who can't be bothered to pull your chart before calling you back isn't competent care. Go to the ER again if you have to and tell them your practice won't take you seriously. It's absolutely critical that you're under the care of a team who understands the complications that follow bariatric surgery and if your original surgeon won't provide care, you HAVE to find someone else.

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful and I hope this isn't worded too strongly for you, but you're sick and feeling hopeless and you MUST do something to help yourself. Get some broth and protein in your stomach, drink Water and make phone calls on Monday. It WILL get better!

This is not worded too strongly. I know I need to do these things. It's very difficult when I have a really bad fear for throwing up. Before surgery I was a. Why picky eater and I'm even worse now. The smell of things disgust me. The look too. I also do not like milk. I never did before surgery and I sure don't now either. I used to be able to tolerate skim chocolate milk but even mixing shakes with skim milk now is gross. I am so nauseated by all this fake sugar. I have no idea how I was ever such a crazy Diet Coke drinker. I quit months before Surgery and to think about how much I used to drink of it now is disgusting. I keep making broth and shakes and as soon as I get it in front of me to drink I'm about to hurl. It grosses me out so bad. I think it goes with the nausea though. Trying to go to my closest ER and tell them my surgeon didn't take me seriously was a joke. I went to the hospital the surgeon works for yesterday and it finally went somewhere. So I will see what happens from here and keep trying to get Fluid in."

broth with Protein powder is a MUST for you right now, and you should use the Fairlife milk and add protein to it as well. And you need to get your Water in, whether you're nauseated or not.

This is not worded too strongly. I know I need to do these things. It's very difficult when I have a really bad fear for throwing up. Before surgery I was a. Why picky eater and I'm even worse now. The smell of things disgust me. The look too. I also do not like milk. I never did before surgery and I sure don't now either. I used to be able to tolerate skim chocolate milk but even mixing shakes with skim milk now is gross. I am so nauseated by all this fake sugar. I have no idea how I was ever such a crazy Diet Coke drinker. I quit months before Surgery and to think about how much I used to drink of it now is disgusting. I keep making broth and shakes and as soon as I get it in front of me to drink I'm about to hurl. It grosses me out so bad. I think it goes with the nausea though. Trying to go to my closest ER and tell them my surgeon didn't take me seriously was a joke. I went to the hospital the surgeon works for yesterday and it finally went somewhere. So I will see what happens from here and keep trying to get Fluid in."

i absolutely understand the fear of throwing up, its almost a phobia for me :) I do everything in my power to avoid vomiting, but it's also much better to have something to throw up than to dry heave, imo. Pinch your nose closed, don't look at it and sip. If you can get past the first couple of swallows, you may be able to keep it down and once you can keep things down, you'll start to feel better and so on and so forth! I'm going through a phase right now where almost everything I put in my mouth that contains protein makes me nauseated...so I nibble and sip and get up and walk around, breath through my mouth, etc. until I can keep it down.

Are you on a PPI or something to keep your stomach acid down? Just another thought.