Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared...smoker and craving

Venting session - surgery is coming up this week, Nov 23rd. Been on my pre-op diet for 12 days, feeling a little weak this weekend and lightheaded. I am a smoker (i know there will be some haters), I have smoked here and there in these last 2 weeks, I haven't had a cigarette since Friday and trying to hold out for the long stretch. Still worried doc will say no way he is doing surgery cuz I didn't quit sooner. I know all the risk, I was able to accept the diet and liquids only, I can't accept the smoking that is my huge fight. I know mind over matter, mind is winning. Like said just venting. I know all non smokers have plenty to say or roll their eyes. Just sharing with maybe someone else who is feeling the same or open page for venting.

hw - 444 ~ surgery date - 11/23 ~ cw - 378

Come on mamalisa268 you can do it. I went for my 1st appt. with my surgeon the other day and told him I'm a smoker, he said well if we are getting healthy by having the surgery, we need to be healthy all around or it will be for naught. I asked him when I had to quit by and he laughed at me and said today. He was joking with me, but said I have to. He does a nicotine test and will not do surgery if I'm still smoking. I obviously have a few months, but am not going to wait that long, I currently use a vape, and will just start using it more and more. Try drinking Water whenever you want a cigarette, it may help you with you Water intake you are definitely going to need soon. Also try sacking sugar free lollipops for now, it may give you the hand to mouth action that we crave. It is mind over matter at this point, you only have a few days left and please try your hardest not to smoke anymore, your body needs great circulation for your upcoming surgery. What would you like more, your sleeve or another cigarette. Come on you can do it for yourself, your kids, and your health????????

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Come on mamalisa268 you can do it. I went for my 1st appt. with my surgeon the other day and told him I'm a smoker, he said well if we are getting healthy by having the surgery, we need to be healthy all around or it will be for naught. I asked him when I had to quit by and he laughed at me and said today. He was joking with me, but said I have to. He does a nicotine test and will not do surgery if I'm still smoking. I obviously have a few months, but am not going to wait that long, I currently use a vape, and will just start using it more and more. Try drinking Water whenever you want a cigarette, it may help you with you Water intake you are definitely going to need soon. Also try sacking sugar free lollipops for now, it may give you the hand to mouth action that we crave. It is mind over matter at this point, you only have a few days left and please try your hardest not to smoke anymore, your body needs great circulation for your upcoming surgery. What would you like more, your sleeve or another cigarette. Come on you can do it for yourself, your kids, and your health????????

Awww thank u. I needed to hear that. I vap as well and currently no nicotine not so bad. But thank u for taking the time to write that. When is your surgery?

Venting session - surgery is coming up this week, Nov 23rd. Been on my pre-op diet for 12 days, feeling a little weak this weekend and lightheaded. I am a smoker (i know there will be some haters), I have smoked here and there in these last 2 weeks, I haven't had a cigarette since Friday and trying to hold out for the long stretch. Still worried doc will say no way he is doing surgery cuz I didn't quit sooner. I know all the risk, I was able to accept the diet and liquids only, I can't accept the smoking that is my huge fight. I know mind over matter, mind is winning. Like said just venting. I know all non smokers have plenty to say or roll their eyes. Just sharing with maybe someone else who is feeling the same or open page for venting.

So I went through the exact same thing. My surgery was 10/12/16

I didn't actually quit till 10/5/16 and felt horrible for it. I started reading on the possible side effects from smoking too close to surgery and I thought to myself that I'm doing this so I can be healthier and live longer and have a good life.. so why wouldn't I do this one last thing for myself too and not risk all these scary complications during and after surgery. I have not had a smoke since 10/5/16. I'm not saying I don't crave them.. especially since my husband smokes.. but I didn't pat all this money and go through all this work and sacrifice to be unhealthy - hope this helps :)

HW 368

SW 324

CW 288 :)

Sent from my SM-G870W using the BariatricPal App

I'm still about 4 months out as I just started the process ???? I wish I started everything 6 months ago when I was researching it, but couldn't make up my mind. Thought I could lose it on my own...again. After about 5 months and only going down 10 lbs. gave in and knew I needed just a little help. Hoping to be sleeved by Feb. he said long as everything goes as planned. Good luck this week and keep us posted.

I didn't actually quit till 10/5/16 and felt horrible for it. I started reading on the possible side effects from smoking too close to surgery and I thought to myself that I'm doing this so I can be healthier and live longer and have a good life.. so why wouldn't I do this one last thing for myself too and not risk all these scary complications during and after surgery. I have not had a smoke since 10/5/16. I'm not saying I don't crave them.. especially since my husband smokes.. but I didn't pat all this money and go through all this work and sacrifice to be unhealthy - hope this helps :)

HW 368

SW 324

Congrats on quitting, I know how hard it is, as I've done it many times. I agree, since,we chose to take this drastic step to be healthy, then why not go all out.

HW 368

SW 324

BTW, you're doing awesome on your loss, keep up the great work

Call the surgeon first thing monday and discuss some strategies. You can't possible be the first person struggling with this. Have you tried the "search" feature for past threads?

HW 368

SW 324

Congrats on quitting, I know how hard it is, as I've done it many times. I agree, since,we chose to take this drastic step to be healthy, then why not go all out.

HW 368

SW 324

BTW, you're doing awesome on your loss, keep up the great work

Thanks. Some days I'm happy some days I'm not.. it's always going to be work but worth it :)

You got this girl!!!!! I have an addiction to, just a different one, mine is food!!!!! I just have to keep telling myself that I want to get healthier and if I want to get healthier do I really need that extra food or candy or pop, or whatever it is I'm wanting. I find if I tell myself that I take a second thought and usually don't take the food. Your doing great by making this first huge step, now you just have a second step to take and you can do it!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'm planning to quit on December 1. Just gotta make it through next week and I'll set my mind to quitting. My surgery is set for 1/18/17.

You got this. You can quit. Just find something you want more. Maybe make it a competition with yourself. Tell yourself you can and you can.

Sent from my LGLS775 using the BariatricPal App

You can't vape nicotine for a month before surgery or during the 6-8 week surgical recovery period. No gum or Patches or nasal sprays either. You can use ZYBAN.(wellbutrine)

Many doctors do a test to see of you have nicotine or marijuana in your system. The clinic I went to cancels your surgery and sends you home.

http://www.yourbariatricsurgeryguide.com/smoking-cessation/

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/08/facing-surgery-kick-cigarettes-now/

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/nicotine-test-before-weight-loss-surgery.html