Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very Frustrated and Confused

Hello All-

Looking for some advice as I'm stressing over my limited weight loss. I had my 2 week post op appt Friday and I have only lost 11 lbs! I just don't see how that's possible and I literally had a mini breakdown in my doc's office. He tried to reassure me that it was fine and to keep at it but it's very discouraging. Any ideas or suggestions? I just want to be successfully and now I'm thinking what if this doesn't work for me

HW 351

SW 324

CW 313

Date of surgery 11/3/2016

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Many people don't lose much the first week or two. Your body is still healing and you retain a lot of Fluid after the surgery. Also think of it this way, would you have lose 11 pounds without the surgery?

I had my surgery on Halloween. I only weigh once a week. I am not going to worry too much about it until I am 5 or 6 weeks out. I can hardly fit 2 Protein shakes and all my Water in my tummy each day. There is no way I could eat less. I do try to walk every day but right now there is nothing else I can do no matter what the scale says.

Also, most people lose during their pre-op diet so their bodies were already used to almost no calories.

I know you're frustrated but from an outside perspective 11 lbs seems like a shit ton of weight to lose in 2 weeks. Like a huge amount. Lots of people don't lose anything in the first couple of weeks post op.

As hard as it is to do sometimes, you just need to have a little patience with your body. As the others have said, your body is still healing and there are going to be a lot of ups and downs during the first few weeks post-op. If you follow your plan and meet your Protein and Water goals every day, you will be successful.

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it! And I'm not trying to sound ungrateful but for some reason I guess I was just expecting more. I did lose 19 lbs during my 2 week preop diet so it's very well possible I'm over reacting! I just really want this to work and it scares me to think it won't.

want this to work - scares me to think it won't.

@@mylastchance21

your doc told you that things were going well

believe him - i don't think he would steer you wrong

glad he was compassionate, trying to reassure you

congrats on your weight loss

you are on the right tract

doing everything right with eating and drinking

in this early time period PO, people are

losing weight all over the place - different amounts

some gain, stay the same, and if they are lucky they

will loose like you did

don't worry now - you'll have time to do that later :lol:

you are doing terrific

keep up the good work

good luck

kathy

I had my surgery the day before you did and to be honest I've only weighed myself (well I didn't my nutritionist did) the once and I haven't checked since. I'm trying to focus on getting my eating and food choices right before I worry about the weight. It's only early days.

Give your body time, I'm certain you'll be successful. Hang in there

You likely left the hospital weighing more than you went in pre surg. They pump you full of fluids. Don't worry, everyone goes through the same doubt

I'm no expert, but if you're taking in small amounts of calories, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto anything it can. It takes a certain calorie intake in order to lose weight. Probably why you were losing more on your pre-op than post-op diet.

Dont worry - there are SO many factors that can affect why people lose weight at different rates. Please relax and let the sleeve do its work and let your body heal. Stay off the scale (hide it in the garage if thats inconvenient), and find something else to preoccupy your time. Or use your clothing as you gauge as how your weight loss is coming.

There's no one easy solution - these are just suggestions to help you redirect your frustration and worry. I'm sure we all will go thru stalls and be angry at our results as we go along...But your body doesn't want you to die, so its holding onto what it takes to survive....and thats probably a good thing, right? :D