Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended calorie intake

Mine said no calorie counting because nutrients is what is important. So Protein first, veggies second, and very little to no sugars or starches.

My doctor said to get 800 calories per day during weight-loss.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I had lapband. The dietician who leads my support group said 300 to 600 is average for sleeve and bypass the first three months. Again, focusing on Protein first. With lapband I eat between 600 and 1000 calories a day knowing my weightloss will be slower.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

I'm newly sleeved but wondering what your doctors recommended for daily calorie intake?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The general consensus is make sure you get all your Protein and Water in the liquid and mushies stages. Every program is different so it's good to see what your surgeon suggests. My surgeon wanted me to focus on Protein and Water during the early stages, and didn't mention calories or carbs until week 5 when I moved to solids. At that point she said 800-1200 calories, 60g protein (my typical protein is 60-90g/day).

I had lapband. The dietician who leads my support group said 300 to 600 is average for sleeve and bypass the first three months. Again, focusing on Protein first. With lapband I eat between 600 and 1000 calories a day knowing my weightloss will be slower.

I'm sorry...

But as a lap band patient, I keep seeing you post about bypass and sleeves and I tend to disagree with pretty much everything you're saying.

In NO world does ANY NUT or Doctor recommend 300-600 calories a day for the first three months. NEVER EVER EVER.

IF you want to pass information along, please say "in my opinion", or "I THINK", or "I may have heard..."

But to the pre-op and newly post op sleeves and bypass patients--

This is false information. One Protein shake by J Robb is 110 cal mixed with one cup of skim milk is 91 cal for a total of 201 cal. Are you telling me that at 2-3 months all a person is consuming is 1 1/2 to 2 shakes??? Nothing else???

Please please be careful. People will read your posts and get misinformation.

I'm sorry...

But as a lap band patient, I keep seeing you post about bypass and sleeves and I tend to disagree with pretty much everything you're saying.

In NO world does ANY NUT or Doctor recommend 300-600 calories a day for the first three months. NEVEE EVER EVER.

IF you want to pass information along, please say "in my opinion", or "I THINK", or "I may have heard..."

This is false information. One Protein shake by J Robb is 110 cal mixed with one cup of skim milk is 91 cal for a total of 201 cal. Are you telling me that at 2-3 months all a person is consuming is 1 1/2 to 2 shakes??? Nothing else???

Thank you for your post. I did mention the dietician who leads my support group shared those calorie guidelines. I don't think she was lying nor am I. We all have different experiences and medical professionals guiding us. Best wishes to you in your journey.

I'm sorry...

In NO world does ANY NUT or Doctor recommend 300-600 calories a day for the first three months. NEVEE EVER EVER.

Thank you for your post. I did mention the dietician who leads my support group shared those calorie guidelines. I don't think she was lying nor am I. We all have different experiences and medical professionals guiding us. Best wishes to you in your journey.

Then PERHAPS you misheard her...

Because there is NO WAY anyone would suggest a 300 calorie a day diet for a bypass or sleeve 3 months out.

Fact.

And I stand behind what I said---

Pre Ops and newbies alike-

This is misinformation. Either from the poster or her team.

I'm going to take this further...

ONE GRAM of protein- 4 calories

So, if a person had a low-ish Protein target, of say, 60g a day, THAT is 240 calories. That's not considering fats, carbs, or anything else...

And FATS are 9 calories a gram. Most of us don't watch fat content with laser intensity--- we watch sugars.

So the likelihood they're getting plenty from fats, and the Fiber in foods...

Minimally, I would say, people are hitting the 700-800 cal a day. But 300???? No no no.

I was hitting 600 to 750 when I spoke with my bariatric nurse. She said she wanted me to hit at least 800 calories a day because less that's considered a starvation diet.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 331 (54lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

I absolutely agree with @LisaMergs...there is NO WAY any reputable dietitian, nutritionist, nurse or surgeon would recommend 300-600 cals/day for 3 months. 3 weeks, maybe, but not 3 months. That's literally less than 2 Protein shakes/day. I was getting close to 600 cals/day at 3 weeks, and up to 800 a couple of weeks later.

To the OP, I'm 5 mos out and still don't count calories...I get my Protein (my dietitian prefers I get close to 110g/day but I manage 90g most days), I get my Water and if I'm eating the appropriate protein sources, I don't have to worry about calories. I just checked my food log to see what the calories look like and most days I'm getting 800-1000 and I'm steadily losing.

Please don't eat in the 300-600 cal/day range. It's way too low, and you won't lose and will feel horrible.

My average for the first week was ~400 calories. My surgeon was adamant to get the calories up to 800 as soon as possible. It was never recommended to keep near that range, especially for 3 months straight as you suggested. If one stayed that low, they would be begging for gallstones and serious health problems. I'm not trying to be combative, but am concerned that someone might take your suggestion seriously so I am also stepping up to oppose this for the many readers on this thread.

I think people should work with their medical team. The comments everyone shares on this site and other sites are opinions, and should not replace the medical advice of your physician and health care team. We are all only sharing what we heard or our experiences.

With 300 calories per day for any prolonged period of time you will seriously damage your metabolic system. Not to mention that you just had an operation, your body needs fuel to heal itself.

But don't take my or anyone elses word for it. Confirm with you own surgeon or nut if in doubt.

The 800 cal diet that I was on is allowed for max 8 weeks if medically unsupervised and max 12 weeks even with a dr/nut supervision. So I wouldn't risk my body or health with anything less.

Nilla

Thanks for all input. I'll follow my doctors instructions for sure. I suspected some different info as we all have different medical professionals. I am getting 60 G Protein and at least 64 oz of Water. Most of my Protein are 160 calories and I am averaging close to 500 cal a day right now. And I would say go for my one week post op appointment Tuesday and plan to ask as well. Thanks everyone,