Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are some of your fears about this surgery? Wether it be fears for before, during or after the surgery? Some of mine are since starting the program gaining more weight before surgery day, my last appointment I had with the actual surgeon was in July (since then only seen the doctors ive need clearance from) and to be honest I don't remember how much I weighed when I was there, whoops so I'm hoping when I go to see him on December 1st for my last check in before surgery on the 16th that I haven't gained, but least my pre op starts on the 2nd and besides shrinking liver you usual drop pounds even if just a little. fears for during are probably obvious, what if something goes wrong ive never been under before, how will I take to it, and all the other complications that could happen for after I have a lot more fears then anything else, like what if it takes forever to heal, what if I'm in pain for weeks, what happens if I end up having complications that can arise after, thinking about how much loose skin I could/will have (I know thats something stupid to worry about but at 23 years old it does kinda scare me to think if loose skin will make me look uglier than just being fat) what about if I never get to goal weight, will I hate myself for it or will I end up finding happiness in just being not obese and hopefully healthier, what if my friends and family look at me different, will I ever be confident or will I always be the girl I am now that isn't so much that, my list can probably be pages long haha but share with me some of yours :) any fears the same or similar?

definitely can relate. I know it will all be worth it in the end, of course.

I havent been anxious until about this past week. I've been under plenty of times but its still always the "what if's" that get me, but then again i suppose that is normal. I've heard horror stories so I'm just trying to keep those as far out of my mind as possible.

I start my liquid diet tomorrow and I think its going to be a rude awakening lol. I just moved home after living on my own for a while and my brother and sister and extended family are all coming at once and none of them know besides my parents so im just very stressed out about having to lie my way through all the "why arent you eating? its thanksgiving blahblahblah".

I think my biggest fear are the years to come and the potential failure. My head is just spinning. lol im just ready to start my liquid diet tomorrow and get this thing going.

Fears-- I'm afraid of complications, like I'm going to be that one in 1000 with a leak or worse. I know I've said on this forum before that my dad died after having a gastric bypass in 1982. Again, the procedures have come A LONG WAY since then, but surgery is surgery. Things happen. My dad got some sort of infection that became sepsis. Not like this is my first surgery. Heck, I had a breast reduction--that's probably a more complicated surgery than a gastric sleeve. They pretty much cut your breasts all up, liposuction and sew you back up again. A gastric sleeve should be a breeze compared to that, right?

It's one thing to read 'there can be complications' and another knowing what I've lost since my dad died. But I know I don't want to get worse--I already have sleep apnea, cholesterol, and arthritis.

Leakage is quickly caught after surgery. They will test your stomach with a blue Fluid to see if there are any problems.

If there is a leakage they can fix that possibly without going under the knife again

But overall they will make sure there is no leakage.

They tend to happen right at the beginning of the surgery than you are still in the hospital. But i wont worry to much because they have better equipment and better skills now.

Sent from my SM-G928F using the BariatricPal App

That's good to know actually! Thanks for posting that. Honestly, if I could I would have this surgery tomorrow! I'm ready to Git 'er done. Even during this holiday season. ;) I'm also afraid of the additional expense this surgery is going to be (I'm financing it as my insurance won't cover it). But then again, I think we're going to save on NOT eating out so much!

Biggest fear not losing 10 lbs before Dec 7th. This whole journey has been one upset after another, I have fought to get this date, now my insurance company demands 10lbs before I can actually have it. I am a bad eater, i can go all day and not be hungry, I have only lost 7lbs since I started this and now 10 in 2 weeks? terrified to fail again.

@@Military Ma why don't you try the pre op liquid diet? most of us drop many pounds on that!

I am now that I am two weeks out, this is day 2 and of course now that I cant eat real food its all I want. :) I am having a hard time with the Protein they have me using , bad gag issues any thought or suggestion??? Its Optifast REALLY BAD

@@Military Ma Mine said Slim Fast or Carnation instant Breakfast. Just as long as there is less than 200 calories and 10+ grams of Protein I can use it. There are Protein Nectars by Syntrax that are not the milkshake consistencies. They have cherry, grape, fuzzy navel, apple, Cappuccino and many others.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank You this Optifast stuff tastes like chalk

Thanks everyone I hate the scale and now am so worried that I will not drop the 10, I am working really hard to make this happen and having all of you as support is more than I could have hoped for THANK YOU

i not really sure if im able to start a post or not but i have some questions for everyone!

@@jackieemac you should be able to i believe @@Malin has started a post before? If so maybe ask her how to lol till I'm the admin I really only see what I can do don't know how to do it how you guys have to

So I'm kind of a unique case- I had the lap band in 2009. Was 385 (I'm 5'4") at my highest, got down to 217 at my wedding in December 2013. Was working out 6 days a week, was a size 10-12, and had an ass you could bounce a quarter off of hahaha. But all of 2014 I was getting crazy stomach pain and gaining weight. I had moved and lost my gym routine so I thought it was that and jumped back into the gym and injured myself. Put on more weight during recovering from that. Then I had inexplicable back and pelvic pain (which later turned out to be a kidney infection)- during a CT scan for this pelvic pain they saw that my lap band had slipped, so that must have been what caused all that pain and weight gain. They gave me the option in Nov 2014 to convert to a sleeve but I was very gun shy and thought I worked so hard and I know how to lose weight, I can do it on my own. I don't want any more complications. So they took it out. I was 250 at that point. I ended up gaining 70 more lbs over the next two years. This was after I had gotten skin removal surgery (which sucks btw lol).

I was incredibly depressed, gaining weight, unable to get in control of it, unemployed etc etc etc. So finally I in February of 2016 I thought I need to just bite the bullet and get the sleeve. I don't want to wait until I'm 385 lbs again to get motivated- I need something to help me now. So I started the process. I wavered on it a lot, which is why it took me 8 months instead of 6 to get approved- I kept going back on the idea of getting the surgery.

Here's what I'm worried about:

1. What if I get a leak

2. What if I lose all the weight only to gain it back again

3. What if my skin sags so the horrible skin surgeries weren't worth it? I've got seams like a build-a-bear already- how much would it suck to be a build a bear AND have loose skin.

All in all though, the pros outweighs the cons. Last time when I had Bariatric surgery I was 21. I didn't feel the effects of being obese on my body. Now I'm 65 lbs lighter than before and my back and knees and ankles kill. I have sleep apnea. My prediabetes and blood pressure are creeping up. My social life is suffering. My three-year-old marriage is suffering. The fears I have are far outweighed by the reality I live in.

@@OhHeyMarina, you've got this girl. You will come out much healthier and happier. Don't worry about the loose skin. You may have some, but skin is an amazing organ and actually does snap back pretty well. If you're weight lifting and moisturizing well, you're gonna limit the amount of excess skin. And if not, you can always get it lifted. I'm telling you, nothing is not worth feeling thin and healthy. Wearing the clothes you want and feeling healthy on your body. You're making an investment in your life- ylure getting sleeved so you won't have the pitfall I had. Just stay on track and make that lifestyle change and it will be so worth it!