Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had such a bad experience today. I was at dr to be evaluated for my knee for disability. I weighed too much for xray table and the scale didn't go up to my weight.

I'm just starting this whole process and I want this surgery Soooo bad.

My weight is 355 and I'm 5'10 44 years old and Bmi is 50 ????

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

That's unusual, in my opinion. scales in doctors offices usually have a max weight of 400 (some even go as high as 700). I'm sorry their crappy scale made you feel this way. But don't worry... To me, you really aren't that big. Be glad that you have decided to begin your journey at the time that you did. Also, another thing to consider... You are very tall. So you won't need to lose as much weight as most people. My friend is 5'10'', and at 200 pounds, she looks very healthy and curvy. Now, if I weighed 355, I would have to lose 230 pounds, because I am so short, lol.

Hang in there, we've all had terrible experiences with medical personnel, I am sure of it. I once had an endocrinologist tell me that I would lose weight a lot easier if I ate more rice. I was there to see her for my type 2 diabetes and she suggested that I eat MORE carbs. Hmmmm? I was terribly upset by her.

Having the procedure is intensely personal. So if it's something you want..GO FOR IT!! I spent 7 years of my life blogging about trying to lose weight. I considered surgery at the very beginning and I was so scared by it, I made it out to be an evil thing and listened to all the naysayers. 7 years later, there I was on the operating table knowing that it was the best decision for me.

Good Luck!

@@amf1025 -

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with some medical staff and facilities. I have had similar experiences and I can tell you that it has only made me stronger and more determined to move forward with this surgery.

Being a very heavy guy myself (HW: 545, CW: 417, Height: 5'5") I have been hospitalized a lot for several health issues and have had some embarrassing and very upsetting moments with medical staff. I once wasn't able to get a CT scan because the table could not hold someone of my weight. It was upsetting and embarrassing but I have moved past that ordeal.

Just know that you are doing this for yourself and to improve your health and life. I haven't had my surgery yet, either, and am still waiting on a date for approval.

Good luck to you and keep your head up :)

Sent from my LG-H830 using the BariatricPal App

Edited by icyblufrz88

Lol thank you. I know when I weighed 175 I looked amazing and they say my goal weight is 145 .

145 for someone your height? That, to me, sounds borderline anorexic. That is a very unrealistic goal. You will look amazing at 175. I wish you the best of luck!

I had such a bad experience today. I was at dr to be evaluated for my knee for disability. I weighed too much for xray table and the scale didn't go up to my weight.

I'm just starting this whole process and I want this surgery Soooo bad.

My weight is 355 and I'm 5'10 44 years old and Bmi is 50 ????

Thats a crappy dr. I was 385 at my highest and i didnt have any issues with the xray table or scales. It was a typical office, not a bariatric one either.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 331 (54lbs down!) Sleeved 10/5/16

I'm so very sorry!! You would think with all of the overweight people these days that they could at least have equipment, to address them. I know that it hurt and you were embarrassed. But...at least you are trying to get healthier. I once had a Dr tell me that I had Strep Throat because I was overweight!! Like WHAT!!! Hang in there things will get better.

I've had his kind of thing happen to me as well I'll just tell you I've never read heard of an X-ray table holding less than 500 lbs at my heaviest I was 462 at 6'1 the table didn't break I know how you feel I've had ppl tell me I have to make a special appt to come see if I fit in the machine when getting a scan as well I felt like they wanted to humiliate me once I had to get a radiation treatment and the dr had the whole department come watch me weigh in on the scale then they went into the hall where I could hear them talking about me then to leave I had to walk right through the group I was so mad that they treat the ppl they are supposed to be helping this way as if we aren't even deserving of basic respect try to keep your mind on getting to the place you need to be to have the procedure don't allow those kind of ppl to get in the way of you helping yourself

What a discouraging thing.

I had an MRI today. The weight limit for the machine was 250, (I just made it) though the hospital (a diabetes and weight loss center of the excellence) has one for pts up to 600 pounds. The radiologist was very kind in how she phrased the question.

Did your hey do your extras standing?

Thank you guys for reminding me why i need this surgery these reasons you have listed are all on my list too. I have been waiting for the dr to set up a surgery date and this thread just gave me the boost i needed to continue with my journey. Sometimes when my body is not in pain i dont have a constant reminder that i need the surgery. So when i came across this post it was like a kick in the pants and a reminder of the humiliation i go through when i go to the eye doctors and the dentist. The eye docs for the small chairs plus my gut is always in the way when they put the equipment near your eyes it tends to push the eye wear away from me. At the dentist they put me in a long bed chair that goes down and tilts back of course it makes me feel top heavy to where i almost fall out of it. They stopped doing the full head xray since they learned it does not go around my head because my shoulders are so broad it got stuck trapping me inside super embarrassing not to mention painful. As for scales i hate the look the nurse gives me when i tell her that the scale does not go high enough to weigh me. Or when she or he has to walk out of the room to go get the bigger cuff for bp measurements. I am with 5'10 i weigh 391 right now. My worst nightmare is car accident with fire and being stuck inside do to my weight because first responders cannot get me out. My doctor set my goal weight at 175 right now that is just a dream that i pray comes true. ????

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Oh also for the ladies out there these words might bring you a chill lets see if you recognize them. Scoot down just a bit more little more now open. As a big woman these words are the most frightful of all the doctors i think especially when there is a tiny table involved ever had one tilt? Yup i have when doctor was in place talk about horrifying i cant believe i almost forgot about it. Lol arghhhh!

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

@@amf1025 Try not to worry...I'm sorry this happened to you. My turning point was when I had to take a business trip and the seat belt on the plane didn't fit.....I was so embarrassed that I sat the entire flight hiding the fact that the seat belt didn't fit.....thankfully the flight was smooth and it wasn't needed.....but it goes to show you how terrible the feeling was....I actually risked injury over it. Good luck to you!!!

@@amf1025 Try not to worry...I'm sorry this happened to you. My turning point was when I had to take a business trip and the seat belt on the plane didn't fit.....I was so embarrassed that I sat the entire flight hiding the fact that the seat belt didn't fit.....thankfully the flight was smooth and it wasn't needed.....but it goes to show you how terrible the feeling was....I actually risked injury over it. Good luck to you!!!

In April of last year I had to make an emergency flight from Nashville to Orlando and I did the same thing. Hid the belt under a magazine so the flight attendant didn't see it wouldn't fit. Now I am between a size 8-10 so that is one less worry if I ever have to fly again. So thankful I had this surgery!