Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you know anyone that got the Gastric Balloon even though BMI was over 40

I know the Gastric Balloon BMI range is 30 - 40 to have the procedure done. But also have seen something while researching about those over the 40 BMI who have had it done to lose weight to qualify for another surgery (not my goal). Like this procedure. Looking for something without cutting, but would have to lose about 50 lbs to be at 40 BMI. Thanks.

Hi timeless333: My BMI was just under 40 (and I, like you, didn't want to do anything that included cutting/changing my anatomy). I met with one doctor who said he would not do the procedure on anyone who was a fraction over that, and another who said they had some wiggle room, so it may depend on your doctor. Having said that, I believe (as you said) it is used in other countries to prepare for WLS, so it stands to reason that patients with much higher BMIs have done it. However based on how it was tested/approved in the US, I don't believe that's an option here. But you may be able to find a clinical trial where that's being done - check out www.clinicaltrials.gov to learn more. Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey.

Thanks so much for the information, Wayward Traveler. Ironically, I just went to the clinical trials website last night, because I realized I must have missed some pretty good trials for the procedures I have been researching (lol) ! I will keep an eye on the site, as I have a long way to go, but am already 15 lbs down and on my way. God Bless.

My. Surgeon dose them but the NUT told me that four of the first eight patients couldn't tolerate it and had them removed.

Also, in my 6 months l of pre op classes I haven't met anyone who's insurance covered it.

Thanks so much for the information, Wayward Traveler. Ironically, I just went to the clinical trials website last night, because I realized I must have missed some pretty good trials for the procedures I have been researching (lol) ! I will keep an eye on the site, as I have a long way to go, but am already 15 lbs down and on my way. God Bless.

Ya ... it's easy to get sucked into that site - so many interesting trials for so many things - lol! ;-)

My. Surgeon dose them but the NUT told me that four of the first eight patients couldn't tolerate it and had them removed.

Also, in my 6 months l of pre op classes I haven't met anyone who's insurance covered it.

Thanks for the response and congrats on starting your journey, much success! Do you know if those 8 patients were under or over the 40 BMI? I've been following this procedure since it was approved last year and viewed whatever I could find on it then. I got approved for the sleeve, but decided to try something else for now. So I revisited the balloon and it's been wonderful to see so many more reviews out there for the USA participants that have completed their 6 months. I have seen such a wide range of reviews posted online. It seems to be individual and unpredictable as to whether you would be the one with mild discomfort that subsides quickly or the one who finds it totally intolerable and have it removed early or something in between the two. I talked to a clinic today that would do it for my BMI. So right now I'm looking over my research again and praying about it.

Ya ... it's easy to get sucked into that site - so many interesting trials for so many things - lol! ;-)

I agree, It almost makes you want to have an issue so you can participate in a specific trial. "If I only had that wrong with me too, I coulda been in it that trial" lol!

Since they were self pay I don't know but it was at least 4 months ago that we discussed it. I am back home on sick time because one up this morning with Bell's Palsy and can't talk. But I will ask next week at my surgery f/u appointment.