Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I asked for permission from my surgeon, I didn't "cheat". The puree was driving me nuts! I asked if I could just chew the supreme crap out of food instead. He agreed as long as I was eating approved foods.

Nope -- not at all. And I didn't go outside of my self-imposed parameters during my six month pre-op diet either. And the result? I lost 99 pounds pre-op, and I've lost another 34 pounds since my surgery seven-and-a-half weeks ago -- 133 pounds total.

And I don't believe we "cheat." I believe we make conscious choices about everything we do (or don't do) in life.

Good luck as you continue your journey.

Edited by blizair09

Many people have, and the board is full of the discussions about it.

I personally have come to hate the word "cheat".

Until you are released to full solid foods, you are on a diet progression prescribed by your doctor to ensure you heal the best possible after a major abdominal surgery. Deviating from those instructions is in my mind, not "cheating", it's willfully disregarding your physician's instructions that are designed to let you heal and keep you safe.

I'm a nurse, and I will tell you that deviating from your surgeon's diet progression can be VERY dangerous. Some people will do it and have no ill effects. Some will land in the hospital, possibly the ICU, with a leak. A few will even die.

Once you are cleared to a full solid diet, then it's just about choices. You choose to follow the plan, or not. The consequences are the changes in your success. "Cheating" minimizes the choice you're making.

To answer the question, while I was progressing from liquids to purees to solids, no I did not deviate from my surgeon's guidelines. WAY too risky.

Since having been released to solid foods, I have eaten things that weren't really "on plan" and I may have slowed my weight loss making that choice.

My own choice but I stayed on some of the stages for longer than they said I could. My body told me when I was ready for the next stage.

I am sure some have 'cheated' but whats the point in that? Seems a bit daft to have the surgery and then not make the best of the honeymoon period. Especially when you are healing. You will never get that first 6 weeks back and its a great time to change the mindset over food which will carry you onto long term sucess.

Isn't that why we had the surgery in the first place?

Nope. I followed my surgeon's instructions to the letter. It was the deal I made with myself. Doing it "my way" and "listening to my body" got me to the point where I needed surgery to lose weight. Why allow someone to alter my anatomy only to go back to doing what got me to the point of surgery in the first place. My surgeon has a diet progression in place for a reason and I followed it. When I was released to my nutritional plan for life, I followed that too and worked closely with my program's dietitian. I've actually been more strict than my plan and it has worked for me as I'm maintaining a 130lb loss. I don't feel deprived, I don't miss certain foods. I have adopted a new eating plan for life and it works for me.

I agree that I don't believe in "cheating." You're not cheating; you're making a choice to eat certain foods. Whether early on when they could be dangerous to your heath or later on when they could impact your loss. Everything you eat is a choice.

Nope -- not at all. And I didn't go outside of my self-imposed parameters during my six month pre-op diet either. And the result? I lost 99 pounds pre-op, and I've lost another 34 pounds since my surgery seven-and-a-half weeks ago -- 133 pounds total.

And I don't believe we "cheat." I believe we make conscious choices about everything we do (or don't do) in life.

Good luck as you continue your journey.

You have great determination and it encourages me to try to follow the plan to the t

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

My own choice but I stayed on some of the stages for longer than they said I could. My body told me when I was ready for the next stage.

I am sure some have 'cheated' but whats the point in that? Seems a bit daft to have the surgery and then not make the best of the honeymoon period. Especially when you are healing. You will never get that first 6 weeks back and its a great time to change the mindset over food which will carry you onto long term sucess.

Isn't that why we had the surgery in the first place?

Amen!

Nope. I followed my surgeon's instructions to the letter. It was the deal I made with myself. Doing it "my way" and "listening to my body" got me to the point where I needed surgery to lose weight. Why allow someone to alter my anatomy only to go back to doing what got me to the point of surgery in the first place. My surgeon has a diet progression in place for a reason and I followed it. When I was released to my nutritional plan for life, I followed that too and worked closely with my program's dietitian. I've actually been more strict than my plan and it has worked for me as I'm maintaining a 130lb loss. I don't feel deprived, I don't miss certain foods. I have adopted a new eating plan for life and it works for me.

I agree that I don't believe in "cheating." You're not cheating; you're making a choice to eat certain foods. Whether early on when they could be dangerous to your heath or later on when they could impact your loss. Everything you eat is a choice.

You inspire me

I had mashed potatoes and they were glorious. It's not a cheat item per say but it's all carbs w/some Protein powder and a bit of sour cream/fake butte, but again, GLORIOUS! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No. For me, it wasn't about cheating. I saw it as eating what my body was able to handle at a certain point in the healing process. When I was on liquids, for example, there was no way I was putting a piece of steak in my mouth. It wasn't because I considered it cheating, it's because I knew all my tummy could handle was liquids - that's why the progression - to allow our tummies to heal as quickly and efficiently as possible! I didn't want anything lodging anywhere it shouldn't! lol