Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of us have had food funerals? My pre op diet starts December 2nd so I have about 2 weeks left and mentally I'm like oh no I need to eat all my favorite foods! Chinese, Chipotle, pizza etc.... but my gut is telling me don't do it! So I'm curious how many people felt that way before that they needed to get all their favorites in before pre op and before this life change, and how many people actually gave in and ate those foods? Like yesterday I wasn't even hungry but I passed a chipotle and was like should I go in and get some?! I might never be able to again! and then I was like that is pathetic Marina don't think like that, your not even hungry, so don't eat! so I didn't go but it made me realize my relationship with food and that I'm literally almost scared of that fact that I won't be able to eat this stuff anymore, so I decided that instead of spending money on food, every time I wanna go buy and eat food I shouldn't instead of doing so I'm gonna stand my ground and put that money I would of spent on that food to the side and I'm gonna save up that money and set goals for myself of none relation food items I want and when I save enough money for that item I'm gonna reward myself for not giving into my head hunger, I know to some that might sound dumb but I personally know that will help this food addict over here, anyone else have tips on what helped them? Thanks everyone!

Don't do the food funerals! I did and was worried I wasn't going to be able to have my operation because of my fatty liver.

Don't do the food funerals! I did and was worried I wasn't going to be able to have my operation because of my fatty liver.

Yea thats what I'm worried about also but isn't that also what the 2 week pre op liquid diet is for?

First off, you are making the right choice to take control of your health. You will be able to eat what you want down the road. The choices that you make will dictate your success. food funerals are up to you. I had a last meal that I wasn't sure how long it would be before I could do again. The meal was angels blanco, shrimp wrapped in bacon with a cream sauce. The Beans and rice went to my dog. I've had that meal since then and the difference now is that I ask for the sauce one the side and now the meal lasts 3 days. That meal follows the rules of Protein first and I have such a small amount of the sauce that I can't see it being and issue.

I was on a low carb diet before my surgery anyway, and didn't have a 'pre op' diet. But I did decide to treat myself to a nice prime rib dinner with a loaded baked potato and a huge craft beer about a week or so before surgery. But I didn't go crazy with eating everything in site. That's silly. It's not like we won't be able to eat any of that stuff ever again, or in my case would even want to. I like being healthy and fit more than anything I eat or drink. Well, maybe not craft beer ;)

I had the band since 2009, and they unfilled me for 3 or 4 months so I felt "free" hehe. I had a couple before pre-op diet for my revision but I didn't go crazy. I had a prime rib steak at Fuddruckers (steak always got stuck in my band), and what's really funny is... I can eat steak now whenever I want. Go figure. lol

I was on a low carb diet before my surgery anyway, and didn't have a 'pre op' diet. But I did decide to treat myself to a nice prime rib dinner with a loaded baked potato and a huge craft beer about a week or so before surgery. But I didn't go crazy with eating everything in site. That's silly. It's not like we won't be able to eat any of that stuff ever again, or in my case would even want to. I like being healthy and fit more than anything I eat or drink. Well, maybe not craft beer ;)

haha yea after surgery I know I'm gonna want to change and take full advantage of this, especially since I'm self pay I don't wanna pay $25,000 for nothing! I wanna make the most and best out of this but beforehand I'm like ugh I love food! lol

How many of us have had food funerals? My pre op diet starts December 2nd so I have about 2 weeks left and mentally I'm like oh no I need to eat all my favorite foods! Chinese, Chipotle, pizza etc.... but my gut is telling me don't do it! So I'm curious how many people felt that way before that they needed to get all their favorites in before pre op and before this life change, and how many people actually gave in and ate those foods? Like yesterday I wasn't even hungry but I passed a chipotle and was like should I go in and get some?! I might never be able to again! and then I was like that is pathetic Marina don't think like that, your not even hungry, so don't eat! so I didn't go but it made me realize my relationship with food and that I'm literally almost scared of that fact that I won't be able to eat this stuff anymore, so I decided that instead of spending money on food, every time I wanna go buy and eat food I shouldn't instead of doing so I'm gonna stand my ground and put that money I would of spent on that food to the side and I'm gonna save up that money and set goals for myself of none relation food items I want and when I save enough money for that item I'm gonna reward myself for not giving into my head hunger, I know to some that might sound dumb but I personally know that will help this food addict over here, anyone else have tips on what helped them? Thanks everyone!

OH YEAH. My surgery is scheduled for 5 December. I can completely relate. When I started this process it was like..ok! Let's start eating! Gonna have surgery soon anyway! I was like a deranged squirrel getting ready to hibernate--except my acorns were junk food! pizza Hut! Krispy Kreme! Dairy Queen! I could go on. But you know, it hasn't made me really happy though. Sure, it tastes good at the moment, but the way it's made me feel afterwards has only confirmed how dysfunctional my relationship with food has been. I feel like CRAP. And It's not helping me prepare for the life to come. I'm self-paying, and I have to tell myself that if I'm going to get a decent return on this investment I'm making in myself...I need to knock it off. I've cut out alcohol this week (a BIG one for me). Next week it's soda. But yeah, I can completely relate to what you are saying. I'm motivating myself by reminding myself this is a 9800 investment that I don't need to waste.

Yes, the 2 week pre-op is to shrink your liver, but if you have a fatty liver already and then do the food funerals, your liver becomes even bigger and fattier. I lost 11 lbs during my 2 week pre-op but the blood work taken right before the operation still showed a fatty liver.

@@Malin I'm self pay also so I know this is definitely what I want or I wouldn't be spending all this money on it but before hand I'm like give me all the food! haha but I've been trying my hardest taken all my will power not to go through those drive thrus! But I know this is whats best and eventually the food hunger will go away and I won't crave the way I do now!

@@cindym44 Oh okay gotcha my blood work is scheduled day before my pre op diet starts and i would like for it not to show a fatty liver so i better start watching now!

haha yea after surgery I know I'm gonna want to change and take full advantage of this, especially since I'm self pay I don't wanna pay $25,000 for nothing! I wanna make the most and best out of this but beforehand I'm like ugh I love food! lol

Well, and I'm going to be honest. I really haven't noticed any correlation to how well someone does post op, and whether they decide to have food funerals or not, contrary to popular opinion.

I've seen people be totally on the straight and narrow up until the day they have the surgery struggle, and I've seen people who had food funerals be very successful post op. It can be argued that people who are changing their habits pre op will be more successful as a rule because they are "more ready" than someone who doesn't, but I don't agree. Sometimes it takes the actual surgery itself to give people the kick in the butt needed to succeed. It did me.

and funny you bring "food funerals" up. I was just chatting with a friend this morning that was sleeved last month. She said she truly mourned the loss of food the first week. Then the second week that feeling passed. Doesn't that speak volumes of how we use food --not as a fuel but as a drug? WLS is like that intervention and that first week in Rehab. You're given the tools of how to cope in the real world without drugs. For us food addicts it's harder...we HAVE to eat to live. I appreciated her honestly in admitting she mourned food.

OH YEAH. My surgery is scheduled for 5 December. I can completely relate. When I started this process it was like..ok! Let's start eating! Gonna have surgery soon anyway! I was like a deranged squirrel getting ready to hibernate--except my acorns were junk food! pizza Hut! Krispy Kreme! Dairy Queen! I could go on. But you know, it hasn't made me really happy though. Sure, it tastes good at the moment, but the way it's made me feel afterwards has only confirmed how dysfunctional my relationship with food has been. I feel like CRAP. And It's not helping me prepare for the life to come. I'm self-paying, and I have to tell myself that if I'm going to get a decent return on this investment I'm making in myself...I need to knock it off. I've cut out alcohol this week (a BIG one for me). Next week it's soda. But yeah, I can completely relate to what you are saying. I'm motivating myself by reminding myself this is a 9800 investment that I don't need to waste.

^^^^ Yes this was me! In the beginning I was gung ho so for about 3 weeks before I went to my 1st appointment, continued on for another 2 months and 25lbs later then I said HOLD UPPPP!!!!! Ok I'm having surgery in a bit... I understand that I need to grasp all these weight loss principles and all but I won't be at all eating like I've been accustomed to. I think I will enjoy myself for now... My Therapist says I was in last supper mode. I was! I went to Vegas and enjoyed the seafood buffets like no other, gave in to my cravings guilt free many times I left the weight mgmt. center and stopped by Mcdonald's on my way back to work just because!!! By the time I was ready for surgery... I was tired of it all. I was ready to embrace a healthier lifestyle. I would not miss a thing. I embraced my 2 week pre op diet as best I could... I was especially adherent 3 days pre op after... I didn't miss all those unhealthy foods. In no way am I encouraging this. Actually it was a horrible idea... but this was my experience and yes I can relate.

^^^^ Yes this was me! In the beginning I was gung ho so for about 3 weeks before I went to my 1st appointment, continued on for another 2 months and 25lbs later then I said HOLD UPPPP!!!!! Ok I'm having surgery in a bit... I understand that I need to grasp all these weight loss principles and all but I won't be at all eating like I've been accustomed to. I think I will enjoy myself for now... My Therapist says I was in last supper mode. I was! I went to Vegas and enjoyed the seafood buffets like no other, gave in to my cravings guilt free many times I left the weight mgmt. center and stopped by Mcdonald's on my way back to work just because!!! By the time I was ready for surgery... I was tired of it all. I was ready to embrace a healthier lifestyle. I would not miss a thing. I embraced my 2 week pre op diet as best I could... I was especially adherent 3 days pre op after... I didn't miss all those unhealthy foods. In no way am I encouraging this. Actually it was a horrible idea... but this was my experience and yes I can relate.

LAST SUPPER MODE! Yep! that's been me! (and oh! Those Vegas buffets!!! ) But I am tired of it. The novelty has worn off. I'm ready to get into gear. Thanks for sharing/relating. Glad I'm not the only one. My last hurrah in FattyLand is over.