Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Post Op - Are chips and Guacamole allowed?

Not to be rude but why on earth are you asking about chips?!?! How can they possibly fit into your weight loss efforts? They are nothing but carbs and fat! They will provide you no nutritional support and definitely not a good choice that is going to provide you weight loss and a healthy body. This surgery is not a miracle weight loss gimmick it's a tool to be used wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Lol, I was waiting for the one.

U always have to have this one. I promise you to GOD I didn't get fat from eating chips but from over eating chips. I will not deprive myself a snack sometimes as long as my sleeve likes it. Omg. Ppl kill me…… so what she askes about chips. Who are u to judge.. Woww

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

*Snert*

You DO realize you can still 'over eat' chips even after bariatric surgery, right?

Maybe mush up some avocado w some salt, and add a little bit of Protein powder? I bought those oyster crackers for the salt taste and to settle my nausea. A couple of those might stop the craving and they're really small. I want deviled eggs mmmm. I'm not there yet, still early.

A better way to say it is. I 3 weeks post op its probably not a good idea for lots of reasons such as empty calories etc. But, further in the future try a few and if u can handle it treat yourself sometimes with a few chips but be careful bc there is not a lot of nutritional value n chips…. Try other alternatives also… but not to be rude spoke for itself

This is much more polite, but not good advice. I'm firmly on the 'food is fuel, not treats' side of this WLS thing and you'll see me object nearly every time I come across a post, especially from someone new to this, talking about 'treating yourself' and advising people to 'try it and see if you can handle it' with known trigger foods like chips, sodas, candy, ice cream, etc.

You don't stop eating your 'bad' foods until you're healed then start introducing them again...get over that mindset.

To the OP, guacamole can be a good choice at 3 weeks if it's fairly smooth...I wouldn't eat big chunks of onion or jalapeno. I eat avocados with a spoon, right out of the skin, with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Very high-quality fat and a surprisingly high amount of Fiber, too! Enjoy!

Avocado and Fiber, yeppers! I've never been able to eat avocados because of this problem. It is a crazy natural laxative for me. 30-60 minutes after eating and I'm glued to a toilet seat.

A better way to say it is. I 3 weeks post op its probably not a good idea for lots of reasons such as empty calories etc. But, further in the future try a few and if u can handle it treat yourself sometimes with a few chips but be careful bc there is not a lot of nutritional value n chips…. Try other alternatives also… but not to be rude spoke for itself

This is much more polite, but not good advice. I'm firmly on the 'food is fuel, not treats' side of this WLS thing and you'll see me object nearly every time I come across a post, especially from someone new to this, talking about 'treating yourself' and advising people to 'try it and see if you can handle it' with known trigger foods like chips, sodas, candy, ice cream, etc.

You don't stop eating your 'bad' foods until you're healed then start introducing them again...get over that mindset.

To the OP, guacamole can be a good choice at 3 weeks if it's fairly smooth...I wouldn't eat big chunks of onion or jalapeno. I eat avocados with a spoon, right out of the skin, with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Very high-quality fat and a surprisingly high amount of fiber, too! Enjoy!

Avocado and fiber, yeppers! I've never been able to eat avocados because of this problem. It is a crazy natural laxative for me. 30-60 minutes after eating and I'm glued to a toilet seat.

Must remember this for next time i am constipated. :P

To the OP, guacamole can be a good choice at 3 weeks if it's fairly smooth...I wouldn't eat big chunks of onion or jalapeno. I eat avocados with a spoon, right out of the skin, with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Very high-quality fat and a surprisingly high amount of Fiber, too! Enjoy!

Avocado and fiber, yeppers! I've never been able to eat avocados because of this problem. It is a crazy natural laxative for me. 30-60 minutes after eating and I'm glued to a toilet seat.

Which is one of the reasons I love them! This high Protein diet is a little, um, congesting? :)

Trying not to be too much TMI here but I had the fun of hemorrhoids about a month ago. Things are moving well by adding some fiber to my diet but I feel like there is some serious structural rigidity to my stool.

Also toilet paper usage has gone way down...

Ok folks, you all heard of cravings right? Sometimes things come to mind that you actually know are not what u are supposed to eat but it's a thought. I don't come here to get a reaction out of anyone, I come on here to get different points of views from those who have done it before me and/or are currently at my stage. Suggestions are always welcomed and alternatives.

So for example one gentleman said not chips but try cheese squares. And for the record I can ask about French fries 3 weeks out but it doesn't mean I'm going for it...i look for what people are doing or have done to replace those cravings. I never said I was eating those things already.

Thankfully, with the help of this tool (sleeve) and by the grace of my God I have lost 30lbs in just a little over 3 weeks by eating the right things and following my diet. So I do take my choices very seriously.

Lastly @@LisaMergs I can laugh because I actually thought that starting your sentence with "not to be rude" was funny. I cannot control other people's emotion and how they react to whatever anyone posts. So if they chimed in that's their choice. The same affect follows with people looking at your post with how you started and would chime in just the same. These are open forums and it's part of it. The best thing in these places is to never take it personal.

Um yeah. I've heard of cravings. My opinion ? Get over it. You (globally speaking) were overweight, had surgery and are supposedly trying to get better. Why TF anyone is going to blow it is beyond me- and they should have been flagged as not ready for surgery by their psych eval.

I find it minblowingly STUPID that people ask about chips tacos etc early on or during weight loss. And even MORE idiotic that they don't have BASIC COMMON SENSE.

So yes. I know what cravings are...

And I also know that I can run a 15k and wear a size S dress and 6/8 skinny jeans 7.5 months out because I GAF about myself.

To the OP, guacamole can be a good choice at 3 weeks if it's fairly smooth...I wouldn't eat big chunks of onion or jalapeno. I eat avocados with a spoon, right out of the skin, with a bit of balsamic vinegar. Very high-quality fat and a surprisingly high amount of fiber, too! Enjoy!

Could've used this post last week!!!

Not to be rude but why on earth are you asking about chips?!?! How can they possibly fit into your weight loss efforts? They are nothing but carbs and fat! They will provide you no nutritional support and definitely not a good choice that is going to provide you weight loss and a healthy body. This surgery is not a miracle weight loss gimmick it's a tool to be used wisely.

Lol, I was waiting for the one.

U always have to have this one. I promise you to GOD I didn't get fat from eating chips but from over eating chips. I will not deprive myself a snack sometimes as long as my sleeve likes it. Omg. Ppl kill me…… so what she askes about chips. Who are u to judge.. Woww

Because of the comment...

"I was waiting for the one.."

Seriously- I have to think some people come on here to post things JUST to see what reaction they can elicit from people.

Truth is- I had NO intention of telling you not to eat a chip. My diet did not allow- nor did I ever WANT to allow it that early out. And I was right in my initial impression that you were interested in shaking the hive. People who take their surgery seriously will not only try and tell you it is likely a bad idea, they will worry about newbies coming on reading it thinking it is ok... Not a good thing.

But the fact that you laughed and made that comment?...

You were gunning for bear.

And got the chorus to chime in to complain about anyone who "passes judgement" by telling you the truth.

Ugh.

B done. So yesterday.

Ok folks, you all heard of cravings right? Sometimes things come to mind that you actually know are not what u are supposed to eat but it's a thought. I don't come here to get a reaction out of anyone, I come on here to get different points of views from those who have done it before me and/or are currently at my stage. Suggestions are always welcomed and alternatives.

So for example one gentleman said not chips but try cheese squares. And for the record I can ask about French fries 3 weeks out but it doesn't mean I'm going for it...i look for what people are doing or have done to replace those cravings. I never said I was eating those things already.

Thankfully, with the help of this tool (sleeve) and by the grace of my God I have lost 30lbs in just a little over 3 weeks by eating the right things and following my diet. So I do take my choices very seriously.

Lastly @@LisaMergs I can laugh because I actually thought that starting your sentence with "not to be rude" was funny. I cannot control other people's emotion and how they react to whatever anyone posts. So if they chimed in that's their choice. The same affect follows with people looking at your post with how you started and would chime in just the same. These are open forums and it's part of it. The best thing in these places is to never take it personal.

Um yeah. I've heard of cravings. My opinion ? Get over it. You (globally speaking) were overweight, had surgery and are supposedly trying to get better. Why TF anyone is going to blow it is beyond me- and they should have been flagged as not ready for surgery by their psych eval.

I find it minblowingly STUPID that people ask about chips tacos etc early on or during weight loss. And even MORE idiotic that they don't have BASIC COMMON SENSE.

And I also know that I can run a 15k and wear a size S dress and 6/8 skinny jeans 7.5 months out because I GAF about myself.

Man, not to be rude or anything but take it easy. Life goes on, breath and don't take it personal...

Edited by iam_yamii

Man, not to be rude or anything but take it easy. Life goes on, breath and don't take it personal...

The only thing I take personal is my own weight loss, health and the well being of those I love.

The rest? Ancillary, at best.

cheese CHIPS!! Best.invention.ever! My NUT gave me a recipe book made by other post sleevers. Spray a cookie sheet and bake small piles of shredded cheese until crispy. They are good plain, with salsa, with meat, with guacamole, with whatever you want on them. Love me some cheese chips.

The only thing I take personal is my own weight loss, health and the well being of those I love.

The rest? Ancillary, at best.

Congratulations to you

Well besides all the other stuff on this page, at some point (when, where and how it fits your post surgery plan is on you and your dr) you can fill half an avocado with tuna or chicken salad to make it a full meal (yum). Thanks to the internet, you can find all kinds of crazy tricks like subbing mayo with Greek yogurt for less fat. Yay. Best of luck.

Well besides all the other stuff on this page, at some point (when, where and how it fits your post surgery plan is on you and your dr) you can fill half an avocado with tuna or chicken salad to make it a full meal (yum). Thanks to the internet, you can find all kinds of crazy tricks like subbing mayo with Greek yogurt for less fat. Yay. Best of luck.

Thanks so much. A lot of the suggestions here have been great. I tried it with chicken last night and it was great.