Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op, Time off work

I was sleeved on Wed Nov 9th and going back Nov 18th so 10 days. I don't have paid leave so it's not my choice. If I could I would have taken 6 weeks.

I have to be in and out of my car all day so I think that will be the most demanding. I'm worried about fatigue also.

I would say take as much as you financially can.

My Dr said 10 days is enough but everyone is different

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm planning to take at least 5 weeks. Prayerfully I will be on a soft diet by then

MsShortyDee

I have a desk job. I took one week but should have taken at least two. I was pretty useless at work for over a week. Had to leave early to come home and nap, etc.

Surgery was on a Thursday. I had a late surgery time so I did a little work that morning. Friday I was off. I was also off the following Monday. I went back to work (from home) on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you everyone. Is this under FMLA? I can only take 2 weeks vacation at a time. I have a desk job, but it is stressful.

I'm still on leave, but will be going back next Monday. It'll be three weeks and I have a desk job. I used short term disability. Pain really wasn't the issue, but the constant sipping and daily focus of hitting Protein goals can be an all day event. Also, since the body is healing and the extreme lack of calories I've felt very tired. Request whatever time you can just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using the [url=https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87332]BariatricPal App[/url

I have a job where I am up-and-down all day. I took off 2 weeks. I NEEDED to go back to work so I wouldn't keep online shopping. lol Also, I needed to get back to an established routine.

I'll chime in even though I'm not going to say anything really all that different! ;)

I took off roughly two weeks. I manage an IT department for a company, so my job is primarily behind a desk. I actually came back in a couple of days early, took a day off, and then was back full time (I'd been keeping up with email from home, but not doing any actual work-work).

Dude... those first few days...

They were exhausting. Even sitting behind a desk and pounding a keyboard, I found myself worn the fuck down. I guess engaging the noggin in a meaningful way coupled with being around people (who kept asking how my "vacation" was). I'd be in bed by 8pm every night. It took a week or so to be mostly back to normal, but I had to set reminders on my phone to drink, eat, walk, etc. That's key and that's why most surgeons would rather you take 4-6 weeks off - you NEED to develop the habit of drinking Water regularly and moving around.

I cannot stress enough how important those habits are when you go back to work. So, make sure you're ready.

And if you have even a remotely stressful job or you're on your feet a lot throughout the day, TAKE AS LONG AS YOU CAN OFF FROM WORK. Don't muck about with trying to go back early because you think you feel back to normal. You don't. Trust me.

I'm taking 3 weeks..sleeved Nov 9th...just feeling a little better..this right side soreness catches me off guard..but I 50/50 in movement at work so I think I'll be okay.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Thank you everyone. Is this under FMLA? I can only take 2 weeks vacation at a time. I have a desk job, but it is stressful.

It is under FMLA..medical leave..I had the time to take so I'm off 3 weeks..but feel good enough to go sooner but need mental time from co workers n be on soft foods at least.???? good luck

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'll chime in even though I'm not going to say anything really all that different! ;)

I took off roughly two weeks. I manage an IT department for a company, so my job is primarily behind a desk. I actually came back in a couple of days early, took a day off, and then was back full time (I'd been keeping up with email from home, but not doing any actual work-work).

They were exhausting. Even sitting behind a desk and pounding a keyboard, I found myself worn the f**k down. I guess engaging the noggin in a meaningful way coupled with being around people (who kept asking how my "vacation" was). I'd be in bed by 8pm every night. It took a week or so to be mostly back to normal, but I had to set reminders on my phone to drink, eat, walk, etc. That's key and that's why most surgeons would rather you take 4-6 weeks off - you NEED to develop the habit of drinking Water regularly and moving around.

I cannot stress enough how important those habits are when you go back to work. So, make sure you're ready.

And if you have even a remotely stressful job or you're on your feet a lot throughout the day, TAKE AS LONG AS YOU CAN OFF FROM WORK. Don't muck about with trying to go back early because you think you feel back to normal. You don't. Trust me.

THIS!!!

Getting the Fluid and Protein intake under control is crucial, and taking the time to be meaningful about it is SO IMPORTANT. Taking the six weeks off from work was the smartest thing I did. I went back yesterday, and with every new routine firmly in place, my return was seamless and everything ran as it should. That would never have happened any earlier.

I have a desk job. I took one week but should have taken at least two. I was pretty useless at work for over a week. Had to leave early to come home and nap, etc.

what do you mean you were useless?

They were exhausting. Even sitting behind a desk and pounding a keyboard, I found myself worn the f**k down. I guess engaging the noggin in a meaningful way coupled with being around people (who kept asking how my "vacation" was). I'd be in bed by 8pm every night. It took a week or so to be mostly back to normal, but I had to set reminders on my phone to drink, eat, walk, etc. That's key and that's why most surgeons would rather you take 4-6 weeks off - you NEED to develop the habit of drinking Water regularly and moving around.

Thank you! When was your surgery?