Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Will This Thanksgiving Be Your Healthiest Yet?

Thanksgiving is next week, and it’s time to think about your healthy plan. This year can be your healthiest yet if you cut back a little on the serving sizes, you stick to the turkey and salads, and you skip the leftovers as much as possible.

You can also make it a healthier weekend away from the table. Most of us have a little extra time off from work, and maybe you can use that time to get in a quick workout or do a little bit of healthy food planning. If you’re pre-op, you can use the weekend to do a little more research on WLS options or finalize your plans.

How are you planning to lose weight this Thanksgiving weekend?

Salads are a no-go for me since surgery. I'll focus on the turkey and root veggies.

Actually I will be on my pre-op diet on Thanksgiving this year so I am opting to not go to the family Thanksgiving this year to avoid the temptation, I know if I go I will give in to mash potatoes and gravy.

It'll be easy as long as the skin isn't very crispy. If it is very crispy, I belong to it. It doesn't matter all that much, really. One day of delirious, irresistible crispness will do no damage.

I eat sweet potatoes and winter squash, but not if they're sugared up. Adding sweetness to already-sweet things is redundant and bad-tasting. Never ate those things.

I'm all for a small portion of a good dessert of the type that comes along but once or twice a year. It beats drooling and sulking.

In short, I'll be oh so very mentally healthy and happy. My scale and waistband will be happy, too, as I won't be gorging. No deprivation and no craziness.

This will be my third turkey day 5K run since surgery. It's now my Thanksgiving tradition.

I will have turkey and green Beans not sure what else, what ever is on my plan. Then pursued my fiance into some shopping

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App

No different from any other thanksgiving, or large meals, etc.

My portion sizes are limited, so when I do eat I make sure to start with the Protein items first, then enjoy ALL the other things as a side. But again, very small.

Years past I ate so much I had to unbuckle my pants....No mas!

Probably come back for pie and coffee later during football.

My surgery is scheduled for a few days after Thanksgiving, and this year the idea of a day of gluttony is really unappealing.

I don't care for turkey, but I'll have just a few ounces and then continue to eat what's on my plan.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I saw a recipe for cottage cheese and canned pumpkin w/ sweetener and spice which is supposed to approximate mock pumpkin pie.

We are foodies, so one of the things that excites me is all the new food recipes and methods to experiment with. Just because we have had surgery doesn't mean we can't enjoy being in the kitchen and being creative, right?

I just had surgery so it's pretty basic now -- looking forward to a big healthy alternative Thanksgiving table next year.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

We are foodies, so one of the things that excites me is all the new food recipes and methods to experiment with. Just because we have had surgery doesn't mean we can't enjoy being in the kitchen and being creative, right?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Love love love this! Absolutely 100% great attitude.

I might actually be enjoying food more... spending less money on quantity leaves more for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Family drama always happens leading to stress. It has already started! My father in law works for the Post Office and he threatened to kill himself and then started mumbling about coworkers. He is currently on a mental hold and will be discharged to a mental health inpatient facility most likely today due to his mental instabilities. We now have possession of his firearms in our safe after the police searched his home... food was never a problem at these events but stress always was. Having more people over always helped. Who knows what this year will bring.