Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stop when full, or push on to get required protein in - confused

I think everyone uses a different definition of "meals" and "snacks", so it's important to talk to your team about what exactly they mean when they say those words.

I know if I eat even one bite too many, I am desperately miserable for the better part of a half hour. So pushing the sleeve to hold more is NOT a good option IMHO.

My instructions are to eat 4-6 small meals/snacks a day (every 3-4 hours), with a total calorie intake around 1,000-1,200 calories and a minimum of 80g Protein. A Protein shake can replace a meal. I cannot do super low carb, but I focus on complex carbs and have been keeping total carbs under 100g. My weight loss has slowed down but it's still chugging along. There is no way I could meet my Protein goals if I didn't eat multiple times a day.

I also think that there's a difference between having planned Snacks and grazing. Some people hear "snacking" and think "grazing". For me, a "snack" is just a smaller meal than normal, and is planned out, not just grabbing something from the pantry and laying into it. :)

Follow your team's instructions. Eat three small meals a day and supplement with Protein shakes to get your Protein in. Do not overeat.

These are exactly the instructions I received -- I followed them and lost over 200 lbs and hit my goal weight.

So the Protein Shakes don't count as a meal or snack? You can have three meals AND protein shakes? That I could do. I always wondered how you could get all the protein in eating only three meals. I mean I know some people do it but I couldn't have done it. But if you add in protein shakes then I get it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It totally depends on how many calories are in those small meals. Protein shakes have protein and calories. They are not a "free food". I had to stop having protein shakes when I could get my calories in from food.

Ha ha! 100-200 calories 4-5 small meals day is how I lost 135lbs. I couldn't get in enough calories or protein in three meals. Still can't most days at three years out.

I was specifically asking bufflehead because I know she did it on three meals and I was just curious if she counted the shakes as meals (which I did) or if they were on top of her meals. Three meals and two shakes could get me there.

Believe me I'm three years out two years at goal not looking for free food. I still can't get my calories and protein in some days

@@jess9395 the plan from my bariatric team was:

3 small meals per day plus

supplemental Protein Shakes ("no Snacks other than Protein shakes" was the exact wording) to make up any protein differential. Other than the 3 small meals + protein shakes, no caloric intake for the day.

Everything was logged of course, and we had calorie limits, carb limits, and protein targets to comply with in addition to the general format of 3 small meals + protein shakes. Plus a whole bunch of other rules about the kinds of food to eat -- no grains, no starchy veggies, no sweets, no tropical fruits -- stuff like that.

@@jess9395 the plan from my bariatric team was:

3 small meals per day plus

supplemental Protein shakes ("no Snacks other than Protein shakes" was the exact wording) to make up any protein differential. Other than the 3 small meals + Protein Shakes, no caloric intake for the day.

Everything was logged of course, and we had calorie limits, carb limits, and protein targets to comply with in addition to the general format of 3 small meals + protein shakes. Plus a whole bunch of other rules about the kinds of food to eat -- no grains, no starchy veggies, no sweets, no tropical fruits -- stuff like that.

Thanks for replying! I've hearts you say before your plan was three meals a day no Snacks so I always wondered! I could never have fit in enough that way but now that I see you could supplement wth shakes I get it!

Is there a Protein powder to add to foods that doesn't have a taste to add to every thing?

@@trekker954 A few thoughts: Dairy Protein is easier for me than animal Protein. I know you said you don't care for it, but I can't imagine doing this without using greek yogurt. Have you tried several brands and flavors? I'm not a big cottage cheese fan but you can't beat it for protein, so I eat it.

I also use GENEPRO in my morning coffee, plus if I have Soup or refried Beans, I add a scoop to that. If I have a cup of tea later in the day, I add a scoop.

There's no way you should push beyond your restriction to get protein in. That would be antithetical to the surgery we all just had. Your nutritionist must have some rationale for requiring 3 meals a day, I'd ask for the reason for it. If you've never been a snacker/grazer, maybe she'd feel comfortable supporting a 4th or 5th meal a day, or maybe like @@Bufflehead's NUT, you could add Protein shakes without them counting as a 'meal'. That wouldn't be the case with my program, if you eat it you count it, but clearly there are variations and semantics to deal with in comparing us all.

Stop eating g when your full. I have it on good authority that it's what THIN PEOPLE do!

Is there a Protein powder to add to foods that doesn't have a taste to add to every thing?

GENEPRO and unjury unflavored

I have found that both of these are good as far as not changing the flavor, but they do change the texture for me which is unpalatable to me.

GENEPRO and unjury unflavored

I have found that both of these are good as far as not changing the flavor, but they do change the texture for me which is unpalatable to me.

Not disagreeing, but just to contrast...I can't detect any texture change with genpro, but Unjury tastes AND feels weird to me. If you can get a sample or borrow a scoop from someone in your support group, do that. Everyone's taste/sensitivity is different.

I add Protein powder to anything I can lol. Can't STAND shakes much, will drink them if I have to. I target 80-100g Protein per day. And can't eat more than my 1/2 c at a time.

Everyone is probably correct on their description of meals vs Snacks. My nut isn't for Snacks. But she is okay with Protein drinks as supplements when needed. When not traveling for work, I always have my premiere shakes available. I'm in Chihuahua this week for work, delayed flights left yesterday challenging for me, I was so hungry by evening, and had to resort to my Quest bar. I feel like I'm cheating when I resort to a bar. But only had about two bites to hold me off until the restaurant opened. I can see a Walmart from my hotel room. I hope the Mexico Walmarts carry premiere shakes. :)

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

That's one of the things I like about my Band...I can't push on. It is impossible for me to eat too much, impossible to overeat. My portion sizes are set, very minimal.

As far as Protein, I invested in a quality blender, and every morning to start the day I make a smoothie starting with 40gms of Protein, fresh fruit etc, mixed with almond milk.

Getting the rest of my daily requirement is easy after that. I might even have another one that evening, adding some ice cubes to thicken like a milk shake...great dessert - treat.

And I don't have to worry about putting too much stress on my band.

Not to beat a dead horse, but never push past "full". You can stretch your sleeve and make yourself miserable at the same time. You've gotten some good advice here, so all I really have to add is to wish you luck and I hope you are able to find what works for you.

Edited by justhere4theshow

@@trekker954 I stop when im full and i eat when im hungry. I try everyday to get in as much Protein as possible. Some days were/are better than others. I was never one to log in anything either... i followed the rules as much as i could and when i didn't i lived with the consequences.

Also when i was first starting out i drank liquid shots of protein.. i bought the ones from GNC... Most will have around 40-50gms each shot... Kept them in fridge and chugged one each am.... the rest was easy to get it... for the most part.

@@B-52 What B said..... We both have the band.