Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 weeks post-op and I dislike eating

It kind of started a few weeks ago. It's not just that I have no appetite, or that I've lost enjoyment in food, but I actually dislike eating. I can tolerate all foods I've tried, including nuts, salads, etc. I'm not having any major side effects that would cause this (minor GERD and minor discomfort if I don't chew enough). If I wasn't worried about the health effect, I'd seriously stop eating altogether.

This happened once pre-op temporarily years ago when I also went on a low-carb diet, which is generally what I've been following post-op. I've upped my carbs to see if it helps, but still I dislike eating.

Any others struggling with this? What do you do to overcome it? I try treating myself to favourite foods (healthy versions of them) but even then, eating is a chore.

Pre-op me would have rolled my eyes and said I shouldn't complain, but it's actually work to get enough nutrition.

I get to points where I don't even want to think about food anymore. Tracking and counting and measuring take their toll. It's 100% worth it and I'm not complaining, but it does make me think "screw dinner, I don't even want to deal with it" and then I'm not hungry or interested in food. I'm grateful when those nights are crock pot nights, and dinner is waiting when I get home.

But you're definitely not alone!!!

I've been there. Honestly I'd rather be there than where I was before surgery.

You just do it like you take out the trash or empty the cat box or any other chore you don't like.

It doesn't last forever. Sorta wish it did LOL

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am just about three weeks post op and have to make a meal plan every morning and stick to it. The two times I didn't do it the Protein on my food log was under 40 grams/500 calories for the whole day.

I am never hungry something completely new for me. Maybe this is how thin people mostly feel?

Welcome to being a sleever. I eat so I don't pass out. I don't get excited about food unless I am eating out and I get to try something new, otherwise it's kind of a pain in the butt. And frankly I like it this way. I lived 38 years getting way too excited about shoving food into my face, looking forward to a meal 8 hours in the future, of letting food run my life. I love that I could not give a crap what I am eating tomorrow, so long as it is Protein rich, I'm aight with it.

The two times I didn't do it the Protein on my food log was under 40 grams/500 calories for the whole day.

How many calories should I be eating right now? I'm 2 weeks out and haven't been above 400 calories a day! I'm at around 50ish grams of Protein a day.

I was never told to watch calories.

Thanks

Great topic!

At almost 8 months post op, I find eating to be a huge inconvenience still. Don't really care for food, don't care about it either. It is a necessary evil as far as I'm concerned.

Making certain I actually eat is just as big of a PIA.

For those of you wondering about calories- most docs/NUT don't focus on that. If you follow plan, portion size and target your Protein, you will usually end up between 750-900 cal. I'm typically at 800.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The two times I didn't do it the Protein on my food log was under 40 grams/500 calories for the whole day.

How many calories should I be eating right now? I'm 2 weeks out and haven't been above 400 calories a day! I'm at around 50ish grams of Protein a day.

I was never told to watch calories.

Thanks

A gram of protein has about 3 calories, but of course many protein food contain fat which is 9 calories per gram.

I am supposed to have 90 grams of protein. And can add up to 30 grams of carbs. Most of my protein comes from Protein powder. I use the injury unflavored since I am not a big fan of sweet shakes. One scoop mixed with 8oz of 1% milk is 29 grams of protein and about 190 calories. If I have three a day I get just under my daily requirement and (as I am der) some fat so my hair and skin don't dry out. The amount of protein required will go down as I lose weight and I will switch to almond or cashew milk (only 25 calories but little protein).

I usually have two milk drinks and one drink of the powder mixed with a cup of ice and 4oz of "super food" juice, plus two 2-3 oz meals. It comes to about 600 calories, though I don't think the calories matter as much as getting enough protein.

Most women in my support group who past the immediate post op restrictions (and also steadily losing weight) are eating about 800-900 calories a day.