Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December bypass buddies

Hey Alexis! Sounds like you're living my life too! Isn't life crazy sometimes?
Congrats on losing 60(!) pounds! That's amazing! You've worked your tail off!
I'm having the Hair loss problem- I asked my NUT about it as well as my surgeon and they both say that I don't need extra Biotin because we're getting tons of B Vitamins in our supplements- that said though- I've considered taking the biotin- I've bought it already and just need to start it- I just can't get myself to take yet another pill!
My hair loss started around the beginning of month 4 - and is still happening - I'm at 5 1/2 months now- surgery was 12/6/16- and I'm a slow loser too- I've only lost 52 pounds- so frustrating! And that's from my highest weight- since surgery it's only been 38(!) pounds-
Anyway- have a fabulous day! Hope to hear more from you soon [emoji4]

Thanks for sharing Erika! What percentage of your hair is falling out? Is it noticeable? It's funny how every doctor and nutritionist can say something else. My Dr actually told me to take as much biotin as physically possible LOL. Congratulations on your loss as well. This is hard work for sure.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had hit my six-month point, down a hair over 100 lbs, with 50 more to go. My nutritionist did give me a heads up that between 5-6 mos. my metabolism would slow down and I'd have to work out harder. I don't have Protein Shakes as often, but am diligent about making sure that I'm getting enough Protein. The only down side is that I have lost the desire for pizza. It's a small sacrifice to pay, so I'll take it! I started wearing a shaper to camoflouge my loose skin. What are the experiences my fellow December bypass buddies are facing?

I just had hit my six-month point, down a hair over 100 lbs, with 50 more to go. My nutritionist did give me a heads up that between 5-6 mos. my metabolism would slow down and I'd have to work out harder. I don't have Protein Shakes as often, but am diligent about making sure that I'm getting enough Protein. The only down side is that I have lost the desire for pizza. It's a small sacrifice to pay, so I'll take it! I started wearing a shaper to camoflouge my loose skin. What are the experiences my fellow December bypass buddies are facing?

Great work! Sounds like you are doing wonderful. How is your Hair loss? I hit my 6 month on the 26th of June comma and I'm down about 60 pounds. My goal was a total of 100. I'm not the fastest loser but I planned it that way to help with the loose skin and hair loss.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I no longer like pizza. I don't eat the bread. I eat the toppings and I don't enjoy it. *shrugs*
I didn't need it anyway.
I have slowed on my weight loss but picked up on my working out.
I have a tender knee so I am going to invest in a knee brace for when I walk.
I push myself though so I am not giving up at all!
I will start to lose again.
I'm confident that my sleeve works!
I'm down 92 pounds but I'm not a quitter!
I have 77 pounds to get to 200.
I will set a new goal at that point but for now, 200 is my goal!

[emoji166]🏵Sleeved Doll Since 12/15/16🏵[emoji166]

Hey guys :)
Alexis- I'm so sorry- I didn't see your question about my Hair loss until now- I'm a little behind [emoji15]
Anyway- It's hard to tell percentage wise/ I can tell you that I have to clean out my brush every time I use it- it used to be every couple of weeks- my hair is everywhere! In the car- the carpet- all over my family- ha! I would say that when I put my hair up in a pony tail it's about half the amount I'm holding in my hand- and the other part that sucks is that the hair that's left is kind of scraggly- if that's a word- [emoji12]
The GOOD news though is that it seems to be slowing down! It's not as much in the shower drain to wipe off each time (I'm trying to only wash my hair every other or even third day) AND baby hairs are growing in!! I'm 5 days away from being 7 months out so I guess it's right on schedule- but still it's been disheartening-
I used to have this thick, soft red hair but I will again- they say that it grows back exactly as it was- and the baby hairs are signs that it's coming back in!!

LadyB- congrats! 100lbs(!) in 6 MONTHS!!?? Whoa! You're my hero! I'm only down about 60 since 7 my months ago- and I was stalled for 4 MONTHS!!! No joke- no exaggeration- 4 MONTHS! And as for losing your pizza cravings? You're amazing! Keep it up and please tell those of us who are barely (if at all) creeping along - how have you done it- what are your tips and tricks?

MsMiamiMami- wow! 92 lbs for you too?! You ladies are amazing! Keep up the exercise but like you said- be careful with the knee- worst would be to have an injury that prevents us from working out- yikes! You're incredible! Keep it up and share your secrets too! Pretty please?

4 hours ago, Finding Erika said:

MsMiamiMami- wow! 92 lbs for you too?! You ladies are amazing! Keep up the exercise but like you said- be careful with the knee- worst would be to have an injury that prevents us from working out- yikes! You're incredible! Keep it up and share your secrets too! Pretty please?

I try very hard to stick to the plan! I stay away from rice, bread, Pasta and carbs are few and far between.

I had fried alligator and conch while on vacation and I drink regular juice SOMETIMES so I'm not perfect by any means.

I have started drinking lots more Water, avoiding juice and drinking Crystal Light because juice is my weakness.

I eat melon (water, honeydew and cantaloupe) even though people say avoid the sugars in fruit but it has made my sweet cravings that were barely there diminish completely.

I don't eat cake (pastries period), Cookies or chocolate at all.

I'll eat a granola or Breakfast bar and that's occasionally as well.

I just try to stick to the plan and avoid fillers (rice, pasta) and try to do no less than 30 minutes of exercise daily or every other day.

I hope my advice helps!

@Alexis99 and@MsMiamiMami: The Hair loss was not dramatic, but it was enough to be more than annoying. I had hair that came down just below my bra strap, so I got a shoulder length cut and layered so when my hair does shed, it's less noticeable. And it's summer - it's hot and shorter hair feels great!

As for the weight loss key after the slowed metabolism, I still get updated eating plans from my nutritionist. We kept in touch every two weeks up until the six month mark and now asks that I send her updates on my measurements every month. My weight loss is now between 8-10 lbs a month the last two months.

As I can try to include more foods and slightly bigger portions, i do sometimes try foods that are probably like playing with fire for me. For example, i can have coffee, but I get either coffee with milk (skim) or for a treat almond milk, cafe au lait or a latte. A small will last all day, a regular two days. If I have carbs, it should be my own like a silver dollar size Protein pancake or waffle with peanut or almond butter. But the other day I ordered a mini scone. I ate over about two hours but I should have eaten less than half and saved the other portion or not eaten it at all. It made me feel uncomfortably full and I got sick.

With pizza, I was craving some, but there is nowhere that I could get a think slice, so I bought a frozen, organic, ultra thin crust pizza and I could pick at the toppings, but even a super thin crust just felt too bready and it just didn't feel worth it.

I sometimes do have a piece of chocolate, but I try to think ahead in my day with what snack it makes sense. I keep chocolate Maria or chocolate graham crackers. If I don't have a Hershey's kiss or m&ms, I'll have 4-5 maria crackers or 1 sheet or graham cracker.

I have three small meals and two Snacks a day. The Proteins I have the easiest time eating is chicken either shredded or carved from a roast chicken and I weigh the protein. Its been suggested that I have rice or Beans up to 1/4 cup cooked no more than 2x a week. During summer, im really enjoying shrimp tostadas, shrimp cocktail or shrimp salad with mango chunks and cucumber slices.

The hardest part for me is getting more exercise in. It's easier, but what I did t realize is that exercising a lot is just plain hard even for fit people. By virtue of being less heavy, it doesn't make it easier to work out longer. It's just an annoying virtue of keeping it going. Ha ha! So, yeah, that is my biggest struggle, overcoming the desire to quick as soon as I'm tired.

I hope all of my December Bypass Buddies are hanging in there. Whatever your weight loss is so far, remember where you were six, eight, 12 or 24 months ago. I ran out of breath walking up a flight of stairs, had painful Migraines 2x a month, became hypertensive, diabetic and was so overwhelmed that I struggled with anxiety and depression. There is no comparison amongst your weight loss peers that assigns winners and losers. And if your weight loss so far hasn't helped you deal with food issues in a healthier way, like secret eating or overeating, reach out to professional support services. My doctor (she's also my family) was adamant that my weight loss experience would be better if I went to therapy before surgery to help me work out my destructive habits so that wasn't an unresolved issue after my weight loss. One thing that I began to do that is seemingly unrelated to weight loss but is such a. If part of it for me is that I think about three things that I am grateful for. And I recognize and give recognition to that. For example, I feel grateful that i no longer need medication to treat my blood pressure, diabetes, depression or migraines. I am thankful to not need to spend a day shrouded in quiet darkness because light made me so nauseous I'd throw up. I appreciate that I can bend down to tie my shoelaces without losing my breath. I appreciate not having to lie down to put on my underwear bc I couldn't stand and bend to do it six months ago!

I appreciate and feel grateful that this community shares their journey. It gives me support and inspires me on my own journey to not feel alone!

This is a now and before...
IMG_8179.JPG IMG_6979.JPG

LadyB- congrats! 100lbs(!) in 6 MONTHS!!?? Whoa! You're my hero! I'm only down about 60 since 7 my months ago- and I was stalled for 4 MONTHS!!! No joke- no exaggeration- 4 MONTHS! And as for losing your pizza cravings? You're amazing! Keep it up and please tell those of us who are barely (if at all) creeping along - how have you done it- what are your tips and tricks?

I couldn't remember how to include you in my response that I just posted but I mentioned what helps me stay on track and what my. Biggest challenges are! [emoji1]. BTW, keeping up with weight loss even when you are stalling is awesome, that takes so much determination. So when you do lose weight, your persistence and determination are already set in place!