Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December bypass buddies

Hi December buddies. I'm on week 5 and last week was my first week off of mushies, soft food, and liquids. Last week I got sooo sick three times with my last meal of the day. I measure and weigh all my portions but I'm learning that certain new foods require smaller portions, longer chewing, and some just flat out need to be tried down the road, sorry ground turkey, beef, and salmon. While it feels awful when I feel sick to my stomach, it is a powerful motivator to be a more mindful eater.

Almost at 6 weeks post op and I cannot tolerate fish of any kind. I loved fish before! Still it's worth it. Truly a comprehensive lifestyle change. I think these early weeks/months are important to re-wire our day of thinking and discover what works... stay the course & be encouraged!!

I am calling the dr tomorrow. Ever since that happened I haven't felt right. My friend thinks it may have been a gallbladder attack. I've also had light colored stools which could also be indicative of gallbladder issue ... which they say can happen from losing weight very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@jill, sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed it's nothing, but good thing your taking care of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Hi December buddies. I'm on week 5 and last week was my first week off of mushies, soft food, and liquids. Last week I got sooo sick three times with my last meal of the day. I measure and weigh all my portions but I'm learning that certain new foods require smaller portions, longer chewing, and some just flat out need to be tried down the road, sorry ground turkey, beef, and salmon. While it feels awful when I feel sick to my stomach, it is a powerful motivator to be a more mindful eater.

@ladyb..I start low residue Thursday and while I kinda hated pureed, I am a little nervous about moving to real foods for the reasons you speak about. Are you saying you can't eat ground turkey yet? I hope I can, it's such a healthy go to. What have you tolerated well and did you have GB? Thanks!!

Almost at 6 weeks post op and I cannot tolerate fish of any kind. I loved fish before! Still it's worth it. Truly a comprehensive lifestyle change. I think these early weeks/months are important to re-wire our day of thinking and discover what works... stay the course & be encouraged!!

@vegas...I start solids Thursday woot woot!! But, slightly nervous. What kinds of foods are you eating? Would love to see an example of your menu. Keep up the good work!!

@@Alexis99 - yeah, the blander the preparation the easier to tolerate. Ground turkey with just salt and pepper goes down fine. I tried to make my portion into a mini-mini meatloaf and I'm thinking that the veggies and Tomato sauce was too much. The next time it happened I had salmon left over from lunch - flaked pouch kind that was prepared with just lemon juice and salt and pepper. I had this a bit later in the evening. My stomach said nope, and I vomited and felt bad for about an hour and was wiped out the next morning. The last time I had lunch of grilled chicken with diced tomato over 1/8 c whole wheat penne Pasta. I felt like a ate a bucket of cement. What is working for me is making a meal plan so I never have to improvise, which is where it can be easy to get too many carbs over Protein. I'm letting my doctor know just to make sure to get her guidance. I'm also using the Baritastic App. When you log meals it breaks down the protein, carbs, sugar, as well as calories. Yes, I had gastric bypass on 12/3. This past week and a half Ive just focused on eating without getting sick - but now that I am clear for cardio and am getting a handle on how to avoid getting sick, I can continue to focus on the weight loss. Things I tolerate well...eggs, egg whites, greens, zucchini, carrots (a little softer than I usually care for at the moment), chicken, sliced turkey deli meat, meatless ground meat, cottage cheese, mini babybel (I split one for two snack times) and I couldn't tolerate corn, flour or half and half tortillas so I make my own with cassava flour and I can make them smaller and they are great! post-307732-14846659132649_thumb.jpg this one is tiny tiny, but you get the idea! ;)

@@Alexis99 - yeah, the blander the preparation the easier to tolerate. Ground turkey with just salt and pepper goes down fine. I tried to make my portion into a mini-mini meatloaf and I'm thinking that the veggies and Tomato sauce was too much. The next time it happened I had salmon left over from lunch - flaked pouch kind that was prepared with just lemon juice and salt and pepper. I had this a bit later in the evening. My stomach said nope, and I vomited and felt bad for about an hour and was wiped out the next morning. The last time I had lunch of grilled chicken with diced tomato over 1/8 c whole wheat penne Pasta. I felt like a ate a bucket of cement. What is working for me is making a meal plan so I never have to improvise, which is where it can be easy to get too many carbs over Protein. I'm letting my doctor know just to make sure to get her guidance. I'm also using the Baritastic App. When you log meals it breaks down the Protein, carbs, sugar, as well as calories. Yes, I had gastric bypass on 12/3. This past week and a half Ive just focused on eating without getting sick - but now that I am clear for cardio and am getting a handle on how to avoid getting sick, I can continue to focus on the weight loss. Things I tolerate well...eggs, egg whites, greens, zucchini, carrots (a little softer than I usually care for at the moment), chicken, sliced turkey deli meat, meatless ground meat, cottage cheese, mini babybel (I split one for two snack times) and I couldn't tolerate corn, flour or half and half tortillas so I make my own with cassava flour and I can make them smaller and they are great! attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1484665910.636572.jpg this one is tiny tiny, but you get the idea! ;)

Thanks Lady b..I'm gonna try turkey meatloaf, fingers crossed! What are half and half tortillas? Jealous that you have time to make those wonderful mini's. Sounds like you have a great plan!

Good for you @@Alexis99! Half and half tortillas are popular in texas - they are half corn and half flour. Delicious, but not my friends currently. Also, to keep on track losing weight, make sure that your meals are high Protein and low carb. I need to remember that carbs are in more than bread. My pineapple snack put me over the edge today in carb consumption and I barely have 29 grams of protein consumed. Learning something every day! :)

Good for you @@Alexis99! Half and half tortillas are popular in texas - they are half corn and half flour. Delicious, but not my friends currently. Also, to keep on track losing weight, make sure that your meals are high Protein and low carb. I need to remember that carbs are in more than bread. My pineapple snack put me over the edge today in carb consumption and I barely have 29 grams of Protein consumed. Learning something every day! :)

Oh @ ladyb, good to know you were able to tolerate pineapple without any issues, live pineapple!!

Glad to hear i am not the only one having trouble with food. I am almost 6 weeks out and a lot of solid food makes me sick. I have terrible slime/foam....I think it is acid reflux. I am all about a new way of being but I am getting impatient with getting sick all of the time. Sometimes it is even with Water. Thanks for the good ideas!

Glad to hear i am not the only one having trouble with food. I am almost 6 weeks out and a lot of solid food makes me sick. I have terrible slime/foam....I think it is acid reflux. I am all about a new way of being but I am getting impatient with getting sick all of the time. Sometimes it is even with Water. Thanks for the good ideas!

@ dvallas ... I know what you mean. So...Last night was rough with the halibut, not really sure if I overcooked it but it was like way to meaty for me. I got sick a few hours later I tried some pulled chicken I measured it to 2.5 ounces all was going well and then I tried one or two bites of avocado, and then that put me over the edge major stomach pains throwing up for at least an hour or two. I really don't know when I'm full with this new stomach , in pureed Stage I was able to tolerate a half cup sometimes a tiny bit more as long as I measured I was good. it seems the solid food is taking up more room my stomach. Ugh

@@Alexis halibut is one of the most dense fish so it's not surprising it's hard to tolerate. A month and half postop and I still can't handle even the lighter fish like catfish or cod in tiny bites :-(