Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing yourself literally

Okay so i have not had surgery yet and like alot of people here i am having it for health reasons. However i have to be honest with my self i am curious as to what ill look like. About three years back i was diagnosed with graves and hashimotos disease. Which caused me to lose 80 pounds now i am a big girl so that was a drop in the bucket for me however people did notice it in my face. They would make a comment along the lines of you look prettier with a fuller face. I actually heard it often. Now that i am waiting for my surgery i have to admit that even though i am doing it for health i cant help but wonder if i will lose my character. I see the before and after pics of all you losers and of course everyone looks great and i hear about all the gained confidence and what not but im wondering how many of you feel like you lost some of yourself? Like going from a kind face to a more stern look. Or being told you have a bubbly personality to not. Did your wls surgery success come with a price? Sorry just thinking????

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Like everything in life, there are trade-offs. I traded improved health for my love of food. It was a good decision. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I am much more active and my stamina (ability to perform physical labor) has improved dramatically.

The only comments I have gotten about either my weight or looks or personality have been 100% positive, and I certainly feel great. Honestly I think whoever was rude enough to say you looked better when fatter was being a passive aggressive jerk.

Many big girls are very pretty with their soft, rounded faces. When that fat is gone they are not as "pretty".

For about a year after surgery, I looked too skinny. I still have a more angled to my face than when I was fat. But a lot filled back in by year 3.

I understand what you are saying. I view hard lines as being more towards the manly side. If you are concerned you can always do plastic surgery to soften those lines.

They can do phenomenal things with injections these days. Bethenny Frankel softened her jaw with Botox for example.

Honestly speaking losing weight definitely makes your face look older. Everything droops a bit and it takes a while for your brain to catch up with the changes.

That being said, I have never received a negative comment about my looks. I have been told I look beautiful and healthy.

I have taken steps to remove alot of the loose skin and I do plan on a lower face lift at some point in the future.

On my face, the only change is that I have bags under my eyes, which I have never had before. Along with a TT and BL im having those bags removed in January as they make me look tired...

Otherwise, I never had many wrinkles and I don't now.

I went to low with my weight, and when I look back I did look sick. My Surgeon and my PCP got worried that I was losing too much too fast. I got down to 117#'s in 6 months. It was amazing how when I gained 8#'s back, how better I felt. I do think my 124# loss has made me look older. But I really am better off than before. My health has improved so much. The trade off was WORTH IT!!! BTW I'm 60yo and had my RNY when I was 57.

I don't feel as if I have lost myself. I feel as if I have finally found the woman that has been there all along. I used my fat as a shield from people for many years. I do not miss the fat. I may have some sag here and there, but even for losing 173 pounds, I am pretty toned.

That's why God allowed us to create Juviderm, Restalyne, Dysport, etc lol

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Honestly speaking losing weight definitely makes your face look older. Everything droops a bit and it takes a while for your brain to catch up with the changes.

That being said, I have never received a negative comment about my looks. I have been told I look beautiful and healthy.

I have taken steps to remove alot of the loose skin and I do plan on a lower face lift at some point in the future.

Before you do a lower face lift, look into Sculptra... It lasts up to 5 years, and actually works to make your body make more collagen rather than just "fill" it in, like Juviderm or Restalyne. I had a huge issue with sagging skin around my lower jaw lines on both sides and the difference was VERY satisfactory. A good dermatologist or facial plastics person needs to administer it- not the nurse practitioner or esthetician. It is much more precise because of its mechanism of use.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App