Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Marathon Runners?

I have done a few half marathons but I am thinking about doing a full. I am nervous and wondering how you manage your food intake on long run days? or during the race? I run in the mornings so I usually just have a cup of coffee with GENEPRO in it. And then if I do 8-10 miles I might have a few gel chews.

Thanks so much.

~LA

I'm a half-marathoner too. Had sleeve surgery on 9/20/16. I know I can't even think about starting training again yet - doc and the exercise physiologist made that clear! I want to follow your post though because as soon as I can start running again I'll be doing the happy dance!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by tgw4138

I'm a half-marathoner as well. I really wanted to do a full marathon, and I know there are tons of bariatric patients who do (google bariathletes), but I just decided in the end, it wasn't me. I don't want to sabotage myself taking in the extra fuel for running. You read so many stories of people (without surgery) who gain weight training for marathons because of overestimating the food they should eat for the running, and I don't want to take that chance.

Sorry, probably not helpful to you......and not what you asked for. I know there are lots of people out there who do it successfully. Hopefully someone can help you out :-)

Hi Caressa!

I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you! Don't want to jeopardize my success - the doc said I can plan on running the OKC Memorial Half in April of 2018 so that's what I'll focus on. Once I get another half under my belt post-surgery then I'll start working towards doing a full marathon! I didn't know there was such a thing as a "bariathlete"! Thanks for hooking me up to that term!

Toni

I just completed the Hot chocolate 15k a couple weeks ago... at 7 months out. I do not know when and if I can manage an entire marathon. Scary!!!!

I originally opted to do the 5k, then changed it to the 15k at the last minute. I run 7-10 miles a day at least 5 days a week.

Keeping up my energy was rough. I can't and won't do carbs and heaven forbid carb loading! As a bypass pt, I would certainly dump.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I will look into the bariathlete info. Thanks

I 've been at goal for over a year and a half so I eat carbs now. I am just wondering what a good way to plan what to eat to have enough energy. I figure it will take me anywhere from 4-5 hours to finish and I do eat every 3 hours. I'll let you all know what I find out and if I do actually do it. I haven't signed up yet.

~LA

Bariathelete responded to me but they charge and I went to my 2 year follow up apt and they have a sports nutritionist that my insurance will cover so I have a meeting on Dec. 8. I will keep you all posted. I also had the bod pod and RMR test done while I was there. Pretty cool. I had to pay for it. 17% Body fat and MRM is 2300

Cool! I'm training to hopefully run a marathon in may. Did a couple triathlons over the summer and had fun with it. Love this new ability at a lower weight. But I too am struggling with not gaining weight as I'm working out so much. Loss has essentially stopped since July. I have an appointment with my clinic this next week. Hoping to discuss this as a part of our conversation.

What is bod pod?

I'd like to get an RMR done as well but don't know where I'd find a place with the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bod Pod is a machine you wear your bathing suit in and it measures the composition of your body. % of Fat, Fat Mass etc. It was $40. I liked it because the whole BMI measurement isn't specific to body type.

I am not looking to lose any more weight but I need to know what I should be eating and how often when I do longer runs so that I can sustain my run. I will keep you posted on what I find out. The marathon I am thinking about doing is in Eugene Oregon in May. I have a half in Feb.

Good luck-

LA

I've done two full marathons (and countless half marathons and relays and triathlons) since surgery. Fueling is something you will need to experiment with and figure out what works for you. For the average runner they recommend 100 calories of quick carbs (gels, gu, Beans, honey stinger waffles, Gatorade, whatever) every 45 mins. I do well with that ratio myself but you will need to find what works for you.

I like banana and Peanut Butter about an hour before a long run or oatmeal with a scoop of Protein powder in it. I also like to use Lara bars and dried fruit as fuel.

BTW I have never had any trouble with weight gain while marathon training. I mean you do have to be conscious of the "rungries" as they call it, but I don't experience it any more marathon training than half marathon training.

Thank you for the tips. I had not seen the 100 calorie fuel ratio and I like the idea of dried fruit. banana and PB. I do the same thing with my oatmeal :)

~LA

Yeah if I'm going out for anything less than an hour I don't typically worry about bringing fuel unless it's a race and I want to perform at my best. My biggest fueling issue is towards the end of a race I don't want to eat ANYTHING ! I have a few things I know I can choke down that won't make me barf (citrus flavored gu, sports bean by jelly belly) but it's a struggle. Especially on the full marathons. But I know if I don't do it I will hit the wall.

Would love to hear what the sports nut says! I've based what I do on reading and talking with non Bariatric athletes.