Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my revision to RNY

Hello everyone.

Haven't been around for a while--real busy w/work, etc. But I'll try to stay more connected.

The revision went fine, did I tell you that they were able to use the same holes that were used for my band? The recovery was longer than after banding, 2 weeks home; 3 would have been better.

I'm doing well. So far I've lost 35 lbs, which my doctors insists is good, but I feel like a slow loser. I know it's because I "only" weighed 210 lbs. at time of revision. Still, I'm pleased with my ability to eat, believe it or not, more normally than I did w/the band & I think if I stick to my food plan, which is basically the same as when banded, I can get to goal within a year.

If you go back & read my posts, you'll see that I had an unusual condition that necessitated being unfilled, and even then I had problems w/a lot of foods (tuna, chicken, hamburger & others).

So, now I'm on a full foods diet. I can eat chicken, chile, hamburger, sushi (no rice, I have it rolled w/cucumber), cooked veggies & most fruits. I haven't tried steak yet, but I will next time I'm around it. I need to get 60 grams of Protein a day & 2 liters of Water. I supplement my food a whey Protein Drink most days. Also must take bariatric multi-Vitamin & extra Calcium every day. A huge treat for me was a grilled Tomato topped w/melted cheese on a piece of whole wheat toast. I would have PB's on that w/my band.

I had one minor complication, a stricture, which is is caused by scar tissure & causes a narrowing where the stomach & intestine meet--2 painless endoscopies later (they use the scope & inflate a small balloon at time of endoscopy) , 3 weeks apart & I was fine.

I'm not one of those people who gets full after a bite or two of food, but my portions are small. I feel satisfied after 1 scrambled egg w/melted cheese on top. The denser the Protein, the faster I get full.

One very interesting thing: things that I didn't find sweet enough before, i.e. sugar free Jello pudding, now is just fine. That's really the only sweet "treat" I have, I don't crave sweets at all. Not ice cream, not Cookies, not cake. gone. It has something to do w/the bypass procedure; not sure it lasts forever, but for now it's very good. I'll take it while it lasts! (that's not to say it doesn't look when I see a candy bar or ice cream, but it's a passing thought, not a craving at all.)

I love my surgeon. He does bands too. All his patients love him, he answers emails within 24 hours & if one has an urgent problem, the office connects you to him or his partner AT THE TIME OF YOUR PHONE CALL. Amazing, huh? I go to a support group @ the hospital he & his partner operate ,and the group is split between bandsters & RNY'ers. And guess what? We all get along.

So, that's my progress so far. Take care, my friends.

Karen

Hi Karen!! It's great to hear you're doing so well, and you sure sound happy with your procedure. I'm so glad it has worked out--and your surgeon sounds like a dream. Congratulations on your great progress, and everything!!

Alexandria,

How is your rebanding going? im getting ready to have mine oct 4th. was it as easy as the first time? are you losing at the same rate that you did the first time?

RNY is a gastric bypass. Yes, it is totally different; the stomach is actually cut, a small part is stapled & sewn to create a new, much smaller stomach (pouch) and some of the intestine is re-routed (bypassed, hence the name) and attached to the new stomach. It is not easilly reversible. If you google RNY, Gastric Bypass or Roux N Y, you will be able to read a more detailed description.

Lizrbit, if you go back & read my posts on "Lap-band complications" and "life after band removal" you 'll see the whole story. Briefly, I have a rare esophageal condition that was NOT caused by the band, but did not allow me to keep a fill.

Alexandra, you hit the nail on the head; my surgeon is an absolute dream. He and his partner are so responsive--they're always just a phone call or email away. It's a huge sense of security for their patients. The partner is now taking care of my daughter (she's banded too) and she just loves him. It helpes that he's young and cute in addition to being a gifted surgeon.

I'll check in next week after Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) is over.

Take care,

Thank you Gina. Chickie, you look amazing.

You know, it's funny--when I started this journey, I would only consider the band, and until my esoph. problem, was totally opposed to any other kind of WLS.

I have no regrets at all, feel it was all meant to be; and this entire experience has certainly taught me some valuable lessons--most importantly, "never say never," and "judge not least you be judged..."

talk to ya soon,

Glad to hear you're dong so well Karen. :car: I'm so happy that you can eat a lot more normally yet still have a weight loss tool that works for you!

I just had an esophogram done... as my original surgeon thought an undiagnosed slip might be the reason for all my re-fill problems. Well, the Band looks picture-perfect... and as a bonus, they informed me that my subclavian artery is abnormal in that it goes behind/in front of (can't remember which) my esophogus. Nothing to be worried about... just a nice to know. So... this all means that in mid-October I'll be heading out to see if I can be refilled. We'll see. If not, it's revision time sometime next year.

Fabfatgirl, I'll have to look that one up..never heard of it. It's amazing all these esophagus things that can come up for us & we'll really never know if they would have become noticeable if we weren't banded.

Let me know what happens!

Best,

Karen

Thank you. It feels good to feel good. All of the sudden, the compliments are coming, and I must admit, it's good to hear them again. I just hope and pray that this is IT. One day at a time, right?

take care,

Karen