Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help us fight Obesity!

I am working with a well-respected researcher and the National Science Foundation (NSF) to help them better understand patient perspectives on Obesity. I have four simple questions for you and would greatly appreciate your responses! We do not need member names and all information will be kept confidential.

1. What are/were your biggest challenges during the weight loss process? (insurance, medication, surgery, maintenance etc)
  2. What would you like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? And why? (new weight loss medication, new surgery approaches, more support groups, new insurance plan etc.)
  3. How much money do you spend for weight loss every year? (food, exercise, support groups, medications etc)
  4. How did you learn about the surgery/medications that you had/used/are using?

1. What are/were your biggest challenges during the weight loss process? (insurance, medication, surgery, maintenance etc):

Insurance, especially when they stopped covering lap band adjustments :( That was one of the main reasons I went ahead with the band to sleeve revision. I just couldn't afford $300 per 0.2cc adjustment, sometimes 2 in one week. It was just too expensive for me.

2. What would you like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? And why? (new weight loss medication, new surgery approaches, more support groups, new insurance plan etc.):

Better insurance plans for WLS patients. Although I know they are aware of how detrimental being overweight is, and I am grateful they cover WLS more now... I still feel that they don't cover enough of the additional things (i.e. fills/adjustments, removing extra skin, therapy, post-op shakes for just the liquid phase of healing) that one needs to further maintain their health. It's like helping an addict for one hospital stay and then putting them out on the street with no further help. Some may make it, and others will slide again. If the insurance companies can keep the WLS patients healthy, they would further save on all the future medical problems of those patients.

3. How much money do you spend for weight loss every year? (food, exercise, support groups, medications etc):

Over $2K per year but now that I got the revision to sleeve, it'll be less money spent since I don't have to do lapband adjustments but just routine check ups (doctor check ups, Vitamins and other supplements, meds like PPI, Protein powders).

My bariatric center gave me lots of handouts and a book on everything that I need for the revision surgery (band to sleeve). We also had a nutrition class. I also read a lot on the forums (mainly experiences that others feel that are not usually in a book), and read many scientific and clinical studies.

<p>I am working with a well-respected researcher and the National Science Foundation (NSF) to help them better understand patient perspectives on Obesity. I have four simple questions for you and would greatly appreciate your responses! We do not need member names and all information will be kept confidential.

• What are/were your biggest challenges during the weight loss process? (insurance, medication, surgery, maintenance etc)
  • What would you like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? And why? (new weight loss medication, new surgery approaches, more support groups, new insurance plan etc.)
  • How much money do you spend for weight loss every year? (food, exercise, support groups, medications etc)
  • How did you learn about the surgery/medications that you had/used/are using?

The biggest challenge for me came at 9 months post op. I had to have spinal surgery and that meant no more exercise other than walking. So, I had to lose the last 52lbs with nothing but diet which meant my calories needed to stay below 900. Now of course that is impacting the maintenance phase for me.

Honestly I feel strongly that losing weight post op is 100% up to me and my ability to change behaviors. So, if anything perhaps the ability to speak with a therapist that specializes in obesity and the disorders that come with it covered of course by insurance. Also, I feel strongly that obesity is a disease and once you lose the weight you are left with skin issues that impact you both physically and mentally and for that reason reconstruction should be covered by insurance.

I have spent many thousands of dollars for the last 2 years on both my diet, exercise and plastics. It is a very expensive disease. Next year, I am investing nearly 18k for my Tummy Tuck and breast lift. The weight of this drooping skin is pulling on my body making my back issues worse. Also, it is way more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat crap. In this country, this should change. It is almost ridiculous.

I learned about the surgery options from my nephrologist, and leveraged my bariatric team for my Vitamins. I am no longer on other medications for obesity.

1. Biggest challenges during the weight loss process: I am only 9 days out so I write from that perspective. Insurance not covering anything frustrates me badly. In this day and age? And with the rates of obesity, and heart disease and diabetes? The most frustrating thing about insurance not covering it, is that in the US it would have cost me out of my pocket 25,000 dollars to have a gastric sleeve, although I ultimately went with the mini bypass in Mexico for 5400. And then, the people who have to wait six months, and under all sorts of testing and prove they can lose a few pounds-- like they haven't tried to lose weight for their entire life? It almost makes me feel like it's an insurance bully system--hoping someone will give up and not cost the insurance company that 15000 dollars, but when years later they have a massive CVA due to HTN, or renal failure due to hypertension and poorly controlled diabetes, they will be paying a thousand times that amount to maintain them. And then- they will be on disability, and cost to government to support them because they are too overweight, with DM, paralysis due to that massive stroke and unable to be a productive citizen? So that 20000 dollars to help get them started on this journey just turned into 3 million dollars 20 years later. I am lucky enough to be able to have support financially and almost had it done in Oklahoma, but it angered me that the cost was so much more and I didn't want to contribute to this unjust system. Just goes to show how badly our medical system needs fixing, and yes, I am in the medical field which is why it may bother me so deeply. #2 Challenge: The stigma associated with weight loss surgery. It remembers me of the still highly stigmatized mental health disorders, which was much worse years ago and how many people died due to their fear of telling someone how mentally bereft they were? This has changed a bit, so maybe with bariatrics, the world will come around some year. I am actually making a point of telling EVERYONE- cause that is how social stigmas go away- is to talk about it.

2. What would I like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? See above.

3. How much money- Around 6500 for surgery, plane tickets, etc. 100 a month for Vitamins which I will save on my grocery bill so it's a wash.

4. How did you learn about the surgery/medications? My bariatric team. A lot of research online, med journals, nutrition videos from other bariatric surgeons on you-tube. My surgery isn't even offered yet in the us, but think it will be soon.

@@Allie Smith

There is alot of benefit to the wait time that insurance companies and doctors require here in the U.S.

I know in the beginning I was frustrated with it as well. My 6 month supervised diet took 9 months before I made it into the operating room.

That being said, that time allowed me to make changes one or two at a time that has carried me for the last two years and I hope will carry me in to the future. It isn't about losing weight at all, in fact there was no expectation on me to lose anything. It is all about building good habits and ensure you are ready to take such a drastic step.

Alot of people don't understand that until you are several months post op and you realize how hard it is to change and get the best out of your honeymoon period.

I hope this helps explain that at least a little. I am very very thankful for that time that I had to get my head straight. Having WLS is 90% head game and 10% surgery.

I am working with a well-respected researcher and the National Science Foundation (NSF) to help them better understand patient perspectives on Obesity. I have four simple questions for you and would greatly appreciate your responses! We do not need member names and all information will be kept confidential.

• What are/were your biggest challenges during the weight loss process? (insurance, medication, surgery, maintenance etc)

• What would you like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? And why? (new weight loss medication, new surgery approaches, more support groups, new insurance plan etc.)

• How much money do you spend for weight loss every year? (food, exercise, support groups, medications etc)

• How did you learn about the surgery/medications that you had/used/are using?

1. What are/were your biggest challenges during the weight loss process? (insurance, medication, surgery, maintenance etc)

Cost. There were a lot of hidden costs o didn't even know about until after surgery, even though I had been provided with what was supposedly a complete list of costs and coverage. I feel like I was taken advantage of. Now, I have to pay thousands to the anesthesiologist, which was never discussed.

2. What would you like to have different to solve the problems that you need to face? And why? (new weight loss medication, new surgery approaches, more support groups, new insurance plan etc.)

I want more transparent pricing in the US health care system.

I want doctors who are better trained to deal with obese patients. One orthopedist told me the pain in my knee was because I was fat. I told him I knew something was very wrong. When I went for a second opinion, turns out I had torn my PCL.

3. How much money do you spend for weight loss every year? (food, exercise, support groups, medications etc)

My doctor, fortunately, has me on cheap supplements, about $15/month. I also pay $80/month for Tae Kwon Do. I think food is a wash. I buy more expensive foods for myself, but eat so much less.

Internet. I followed different support groups online. I read evidenced-based research. Google (and Google Scholar) is my friend.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Answer 1) There are numerous challenges that I have encountered as a lifetime dieter. Weightloss medications are very short term and can be expensive. Most diet plans ate expensive and extremely time consuming. Maintenance is always a challenge after weight loss and there is little support for maintenance. I have not been able to have surgery through my insurance because I am Class I obesity with no co-morbidities. Bariatric surgery in the U.S. is way too expensive for self pay.

Answer 2) All of the above! Better medications, easier qualification for insurance to cover bariatric surgery or other weightloss methods for ALL levels of obesity. Better surgery procedures with very ling term success rate like SADI-S. Support groups that are not limited by time or goals.

Answer 3) I spend over $8,000 per year on health clubs, fad diets and weightloss medications and supplements.

Answer 4) Because I have been a lifetime dieter and have genetic potential to develop Type II Diabetes I spend a lot of time researching. I read medical journal studies, have read books, talk to others who have obesity issues, of course commercials and membership based websites like Bariatric Pal and Real Self have been a great resource as well for information and support!