Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dental work before surgery?

So my process of getting the sleeve has extended way beyond what I had in mind. I wanted the sleeve done in October originally but now the end of the year is soon approaching and I may do it right before or shortly into the new year. There's just been so many set backs and I guess I didn't do as much research as I intially thought.

So hopefully this is my final set back before proceeding with the surgery.

After experiencing tooth pain I remembered I have dental work I need to do which lead me to research whether I should take care of it before or after surgery. As most people know in the US dental work can be extremely expensive and most of us going to Mexico to self pay are doing so because it's less expensive or insurance won't cover it. But unfortunately I read that a tooth infection should be cleared prior to surgery. So my question is this. If I am prescribed antibiotics and get the infection cleared does anyone know if it is possible to proceed with surgery before completing the root canal?

I am a 22 year old and I've managed to save a little over $7000 in the past 7 months just for the surgery I have no real career so the money I make is limited and I am working two retail jobs just to do so. Hopefully you can understand why the money crunch is an issue. I do plan on getting all my dental work sorted out but I really wanted the surgery before the New Year. And I am quitting one job soon to give my body time to relax so I am ready for surgery meaning my stress levels should be lower. So that is why I rather take the antibiotics and then proceed with the root canal after vsg. Maybe 4-6 weeks after VSG. Anyone have any advice to give? Today is Sunday and I rather call the office and speak to someone on Monday but before then I would really really appreciate any input from anyone at all! Thank you all so much!

Chewing food is SO IMPORTANT after surgery. I would get your dental work done before hand so you have nice healthy teeth to chew with.

What about getting the dental work done in Mexico while you are there? Dental is much cheaper down there. Do the dental on Monday and surgery Tuesday. I know that the team that I worked with would have no problem with helping out a patient for something like that.

Chewing food is SO IMPORTANT after surgery. I would get your dental work done before hand so you have nice healthy teeth to chew with.

The only thing that stresses me out is that the length of the dental work would expand over several months and cost all the money I saved for the surgery. The infection is localized to only one area. Other than that I really have no problems with my mouth. Maybe a cavity or two I need filled but no chipped or cracked teeth, no red inflamed gum, no deep pockets or bleeding when brushing. However when I was quoted at the dentist office I was told I need a lot of work done. Nothing major just simple things and wisdom teeth extractions.

I mainly want to get the one infection taken care of and then proceed to surgery. Heal up and continue the dental work once again.

What about getting the dental work done in Mexico while you are there? Dental is much cheaper down there. Do the dental on Monday and surgery Tuesday. I know that the team that I worked with would have no problem with helping out a patient for something like that.

That's actually a great idea! But I am mainly concerned with getting the infection taken care of prior to surgery which I was told could take approximately 7-10 days of antibiotics. Maybe I can get antibiotics prescribed here and then proceed to Mexico with the rest of dental work and the gastric sleeve!

Do you have the contact information of who you worked with? I love you idea.

I'm not sure why it would matter if you had it done before or after. You can always ask the surgeon if it's OK to be on antibiotics during the time you're having surgery. If not - have the dental work done after - or a couple of weeks before.

I'm not sure why it would matter if you had it done before or after. You can always ask the surgeon if it's OK to be on antibiotics during the time you're having surgery. If not - have the dental work done after - or a couple of weeks before.

You are absolutely right I was thinking of this as a one way or the other. I definitely should call the office tomorrow and see what suggestions they give maybe speak to the surgeon as well and see what he thinks.

You need to get your teeth taken care of before for sure. Once you have been on antibiotics for a period of time, the infection should be under control so if you get going on it, you will meet your timeline.

if you cannot get it done soon, I personally would push out my surgery. it is dangerous to go into a surgery with an infection of any kind.

Not sure how Mexico works but i know here in the states, they run a test in pre op holding area just to make sure that your body has no infection. At least they did with me.

You need to get your teeth taken care of before for sure. Once you have been on antibiotics for a period of time, the infection should be under control so if you get going on it, you will meet your timeline if you cannot get it done soon, I personally would push out my surgery. it is dangerous to go into a surgery with an infection of any kind.

Not sure how Mexico works but i know here in the states, they run a test in pre op holding area just to make sure that your body has no infection. At least they did with me.

Of course! So I will see a dentist tomorrow.

@@Marie1120

Glad to hear it and best of luck to you! It will all be worth it in the end.