Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first year as a sleeved participant in Thanksgiving. I am getting nervous about it. I know I am going to want to eat everything, but I don't want to end up in pain. Any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have also been nervous. My family knows, except my brother and sister in law - because she is crazy. I come from a huge Italian family. The kitchen is the center of our gatherings and yes, there's always Pasta.

I know I'll be able to eat turkey, a bit of green bean casserole, maybe some sweet potatoes. But the rolls, stuffing, etc I of course won't eat.

I just hope she doesn't get started asking questions. I prefer drama free holidays!

I was 3 months out my first Thanksgiving. I just had a tiny spoonful of each thing and was satisfied. I even lost a couple of pounds the day after because I think I shocked my body a bit with the carbs, lol.

I'll probably eat 2 oz of turkey and 1 oz of green Beans at the actual meal. The rest of the day I'll alternate the things (cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, salmon, string cheese, etc.) that I eat on a normal day.

I have also been nervous. My family knows, except my brother and sister in law - because she is crazy. I come from a huge Italian family. The kitchen is the center of our gatherings and yes, there's always Pasta.

I know I'll be able to eat turkey, a bit of green bean casserole, maybe some sweet potatoes. But the rolls, stuffing, etc I of course won't eat.

I just hope she doesn't get started asking questions. I prefer drama free holidays!

@@rolosmom7 If she starts asking questions, tell her you are low-carbing. I would also make sure to go overboard complimenting whatever dish she brings, just to keep her mind off of what you are eating. (I have a few crazies in my family too, can you tell? :) )

We love Thanksgiving! It is our favorite holiday. We always do at least three turkeys. We typically have 12 to 20 people in our 1300 sqft house and we love it. I always take the entire week off and I spend a couple of days before prepping the minor stuff. Yes I will have some turkey but I will also have a couple of things that have always been family traditions.

@@rolosmom7 If she starts asking questions, tell her you are low-carbing. I would also make sure to go overboard complimenting whatever dish she brings, just to keep her mind off of what you are eating. (I have a few crazies in my family too, can you tell? :) )
LOL that would mean she knew how to cook! No worries there, she won't bring anything but her attitude. She asked me how to assemble a hot dog a few months ago. I kid you not.

Best of luck with your family!!!

We love Thanksgiving! It is our favorite holiday. We always do at least three turkeys. We typically have 12 to 20 people in our 1300 sqft house and we love it. I always take the entire week off and I spend a couple of days before prepping the minor stuff. Yes I will have some turkey but I will also have a couple of things that have always been family traditions.

That is a serious Thanksgiving! How do you feel about giving us all your address? ????

I'm nervous about the holidays as well, and also the cruise we're going on the day after Thanksgiving. My plan is to get a small spoonful of dressing (because it's my favorite part and I don't want to skip it), but focus more on the turkey and veggies. I'm not a big sweets eater, so skipping dessert won't be hard. It's the carbs that get me. It's definitely going to take some willpower, but I do not want to feel the after effects of overeating or eating too many carbs, so I'm bound and determined to stick to my plan!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Babbs - hello friend. I will be a vet in about 35min, can't wait to join the ranks.

Like Babbs said I also ate a small piece of turkey had some broccoli and a spoon or two of dressing. Never wanted dessert :)

Here is a planned thanksgiving "hack". sugar-free lime Jello doesn't have much of a lime flavor but it is a pretty green. We experimented with adding mint extract and you would never know that it was lime to start. We are going to layer jello, sf cool.whip, jello, sf cool whip, jello and sf cool whip topped with a great local super low sugar chocolate that will be grated on top.

My surgery is scheduled for the 22nd, so it is unlikely I will even attend Thanksgiving. However, I previously thought my surgery would be in mid-October. At the time, I was mentally preparing myself for a Thanksgiving unlike none other I've had haha. I figured on spoonfuls of baked sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes with unflavored Protein powder? Don't actually know if that's any good or not), corn souffle, turkey if I were far enough along, or even butternut squash Soup or Tomato Soup if I would've been on liquids.

As for nosey family members, unfortunately, I'm all out of good advice. Thankfully, my family is so large that we could never fit us all in one house. Even more fortunately is the fact that the ones I know would be nosy, unapproving, or judgmental all live in, at least, other cities if not other states.

I don't know where I saw it or who wrote it, but one of the folks here on BariatricPal wrote in a post I read earlier today that when they encountered people asking questions they no longer wanted to answer, they said something to the effect of how they were tired of talking about their weight, but they'd be happy to talk about the other person's weight. I wish I could remember where I saw this, I'd love to give proper credit to the OP of that. I found it so hilarious; laughed for ages!

Would talking to your brother help at all or would it only make things more tense? If it would help, I'd suggest that. Though, I don't necessarily mean you should tell him about the surgery if you feel that isn't something you'd like to do.

I'll be around all day Thanksgiving, though, so if nothing else...you can sneak off to another room and post here to vent about how the day is going and we'll have your back!

How about just saying you are getting over a touch of food poisoning?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App