Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are all "diet" supplements marketed like candy?

I've never been a huge sweets eater, so getting Protein through shakes and bars was tough on me. I'd much prefer to chew on a steak than on a Quest bar.

Lunch is supposed to be (in my mind) hot and savory, not chewy and fake chocolate flavored. I never used protein powders, but I also lacked in protein. My surgeon was big on shakes, big on real foods, not so big on Protein Bars.

I carry a Protein Bar in my bag for "emergencies". I often attend conferences and vendor lunches that are very carby/fatty and leave me feeling nauseated if I try to eat what they provide. The bars last in the bottom of my bag and are a good alternative when the need arises, but I would rather turn to Jerky, cheese, and almonds.

I've never been a huge sweets eater, so getting Protein through shakes and bars was tough on me. I'd much prefer to chew on a steak than on a Quest bar.

lunch is supposed to be (in my mind) hot and savory, not chewy and fake chocolate flavored. I never used Protein powders, but I also lacked in protein. My surgeon was big on shakes, big on real foods, not so big on protein bars.

I carry a protein bar in my bag for "emergencies". I often attend conferences and vendor lunches that are very carby/fatty and leave me feeling nauseated if I try to eat what they provide. The bars last in the bottom of my bag and are a good alternative when the need arises, but I would rather turn to Jerky, cheese, and almonds.

This ^^^ - I can't stand the nasty, fake sweet bars/shakes. I can tolerate oh yeah bars, but I really just want real food. The fake dessert is awful. Birthday cake protein bars??? Come on.

It all just strikes me as a bad idea. You'd never market Water to an alcoholic that "tastes just like whiskey!" but here's a whole industry built around selling candy-ish bars to people struggling with weight as healthy food.

That said, I'm planning on picking up a bunch of different powders and drinks later this week so I can taste-test before I begin the pre/post-op diets.

@@Didjit

Once you have them for a week or 2 pre-op and a month or 2 post-op, you will hate them. Even starvation won't get me near a premier shake.

You are kinda over thinking it. They are a temporary solution to a short term product and using them a lot will make you hate them with a passion.

@@OutsideMatchInside I agree wholeheartedly...the more I drink RTD shakes, the more I hate them. So I mostly don't. And what I liked pre-op, I hated post-op and vice versa.

Real food appeals, and only some of it, but I never thought to myself 'oooh, I can't WAIT to have a Premier shake!!".

Today was a tough food day, I craved fruit but needed protein; tried a Protein bar, one bite left my stomach churning, so I ate half an apple and drank a glass of Fairlife milk.

You'd never market Water to an alcoholic that "tastes just like whiskey!" but here's a whole industry built around selling candy-ish bars to people struggling with weight as healthy food.

I don't agree. According to the advertisements alcohol free beer is supposed to be tasting just like the real stuff. I also think we should all keep in mind that advertisement companies don't have our well-being in mind. Their goal is to sell products. Some stuff sells, some stuff doesn't sell. Sex sells for example. So obviously does luscious chocolate.

I personally don't mind that Celebrate Calcium chews chocolate and caramel don't taste like 100% crap. I don't know who thinks something like this tastes "exactly like candy" or something. I don't really like them, but at least I'm taking them without having to gag. There must be something wrong with the taste buds of people who can't taste the difference. Same goes for milkshakes and Protein shakes. Someone already mentioned Protein brownies.

If people want to be purists they can be. I don't mind. I personally prefer supplements that don't taste like "oh my god I have to turn off my taste buds to be able to swallow them".

We're all trying to lose weight right? And we're all trying to break bad habits, like attachments to candy and Desserts, right? So then why are most of the Protein powders and drinks things like "luscious chocolate" and "creamy vanilla"? I suppose "boiled broccoli" would be gross, but even apple becomes apple pie, and lemon becomes lemon sorbet. Isn't this just reinforcing bad habits? Do our stomach-brains know there's a difference between a Protein Drink and a malted chocolate ice cream frappe?

Seems like it'd be better to stick to unflavored supplements in Water or milk, things like Orange that aren't Orange Chiffon. Anyone find they've become addicted to chocolate milk shakes for lunch everyday? Or that the jump to a "real" milk shake becomes more tempting?

and why is everything so sweet? I don't need everything to taste like candy. I won't go off on a tirade/rant about food companies getting rich while marketing garbage as healthy food (...my family laughs about how fast I can go from 0 to 60 on this topic!).

It all just strikes me as a bad idea. You'd never market Water to an alcoholic that "tastes just like whiskey!" but here's a whole industry built around selling candy-ish bars to people struggling with weight as healthy food.

That said, I'm planning on picking up a bunch of different powders and drinks later this week so I can taste-test before I begin the pre/post-op diets.

Didjit, Be careful buying ahead too much. Most of WLS peeps have their taste change after their Surgery.

Didjit, Be careful buying ahead too much. Most of WLS peeps have their taste change after their Surgery.

Agreed. I am one week post-op tomorrow and I am so sick of sweet I could puke. And I DID used to love sweets. I am going out for GENEPRO and Fair Life milk tomorrow. I can't wait to eat eggs, meat, cheese, nuts......oh my it is driving me batty!!

WOuld you buy Protein Crap in a Can?

nope. well there ya go.

That being said there are many Protein mixes that taste like what they say they do, to a point. And many of us, have come to really enjoy our protein powders. I literally have a protein mugcake for Breakfast 6 out of every 7 days a week, I look forward to it, I really like the taste.