Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here it is - my newbie post

I didn't think I'd be posting like this. After all the research, I thought I would sail through (LOL - not!). So here I am, making my newbie post about newbie things. Here goes:

I can't eat enough! I get 800 calories in on a good day. Today, I had an egg white mcmuffin with no top and 1/2 of a hamburger steak with cheese. This was at 12:30ish. 7 hours later, I am still full and have 0 desire to eat anything even though I've only consumed 400 calories.

And now everyone's favorite - the stall. Lost 45 pounds (310 to 265) in 5 weeks. Last 2 weeks, nothing. I was ok with it, embrace the stall and everything UNTIL I gained 2 pounds. What the?

I'm female, 27. HW 310, CW 266. 7 weeks post vsg. I hit Fluid goals but not protein/calorie goals. I follow plan 99%. No pork chops or swedish fish here.

I know the depression, regret, and other negative crap is normal. But. I am feeling extra extra discouraged the past few days!

@@rolosmom7 There's not enough research to fully understand how we will be post-op. I'm only counting Protein and fluids right now 2 1/2 weeks) but could only meet protein with supplements (shakes or unflavored protein powder). Why don't you try foods with protein that may not be as filling (yogurt, egg salad, tuna, baked fish) and see if you can eat more frequently. Gaining 2 lbs is not unusual - could be Water retention (too much sodium), your period, Constipation, etc. 45lbs in 5 weeks is great - I could only hope to lose that much! Congrats!

@@rolosmom7 There's not enough research to fully understand how we will be post-op. I'm only counting Protein and fluids right now 2 1/2 weeks) but could only meet protein with supplements (shakes or unflavored protein powder). Why don't you try foods with protein that may not be as filling (yogurt, egg salad, tuna, baked fish) and see if you can eat more frequently. Gaining 2 lbs is not unusual - could be Water retention (too much sodium), your period, Constipation, etc. 45lbs in 5 weeks is great - I could only hope to lose that much! Congrats!

Thank you. It really just depends on the day what I eat, although I am terrified of tuna after I choked on tuna salad week 3 or 4. Lol. I'm trying to find what my sleeve likes and it's a tall task. Did finally find I somewhat enjoy oh yeah one bars - so that's a plus. Even then I just get so full from them! I don't want to screw my metabolism forever.

Healthy fat is not the devil. It's ok to eat eggs with yolk. Skip the bottom of the muffin, too, for now, as well. Honestly, I couldn't do anything but a real soft scramble with butter and cheese at your stage. A harder egg was too much for me.

Is a hamburger steak breaded? It is where I'm from! If so, it's too soon for breading. Takes up too much valuable real estate. Ground beef sticks for me still, so...

Add a spoonful of nut butter if you can, some avocado (to that "burger" maybe?), and a few cheese cubes.

It took me a year to get to 800 calories. I was sipping Protein shakes through month six to get HALF my requirement in.

Ugh. Just keep swimming.

Oh! Crab cakes are awesome, too!

I was also really big on any kind of meat with sauce. Rotisserie chicken pulled and shredded with gravy, taco meat mixed with re-fried Beans and sour cream, chicken salad with extra mayo and mashed to mush, egg salad prepped the same, SPAM (gross, right? But it is soft!).

Think softer Protein that will digest a bit easier.

And crustless quiche!!!!

Healthy fat is not the devil. It's ok to eat eggs with yolk. Skip the bottom of the muffin, too, for now, as well. Honestly, I couldn't do anything but a real soft scramble with butter and cheese at your stage. A harder egg was too much for me.

Is a hamburger steak breaded? It is where I'm from! If so, it's too soon for breading. Takes up too much valuable real estate. Ground beef sticks for me still, so...

Add a spoonful of nut butter if you can, some avocado (to that "burger" maybe?), and a few cheese cubes.

It took me a year to get to 800 calories. I was sipping Protein shakes through month six to get HALF my requirement in.

Ugh. Just keep swimming.

Oh! Crab cakes are awesome, too!

Oh no - definitely not breaded! Just like a hamburger with cheese and Tomato. Hamburger steak might not be the right word. Thank you for all your suggestions. Avocado would've been excellent on the burger!

Haha I just saw your SPAM comment. LOL!

Edited by rolosmom7

I actively avoid food that give me that really full feeling. I take that as a signal that I'm not ready for that food...or I reduce the quantity. Ie with meats I limit to 2 oz even though I'm allowed up to 3 oz on plan. I could be getting rid of shakes now and just eating food for Snacks, but feel too full for lunch if I have a solid food snack in the morning, so I still do shakes for my morning snack. I can have a real food afternoon snack and still be hungry for dinner, so I do that. Bottom line, listen to your body.

I'm alsohaving what I call mini stalls and had a week with a 1lb gain (liquids to purees). Week 3 and now week 5. I've been stalling for a week or so then dropping .5 or if I'm lucky 1lb...then back to a stall. It is a bit nerve wracking, but doing my best to deal with it. It has been helping me to occasionally test my urine for ketones...at least when the scale isn't moving the ketones mean I'm burning fat.

Edited by Travelher

I actively avoid food that give me that really full feeling. I take that as a signal that I'm not ready for that food...or I reduce the quantity. Ie with meats I limit to 2 oz even though I'm allowed up to 3 oz on plan. I could be getting rid of shakes now and just eating food for Snacks, but feel too full for lunch if I have a solid food snack in the morning, so I still do shakes for my morning snack. I can have a real food afternoon snack and still be hungry for dinner, so I do that. Bottom line, listen to your body.

I'm alsohaving what I call mini stalls and had a week with a 1lb gain (liquids to purees). Week 3 and now week 5. I've been stalling for a week or so then dropping .5 or if I'm lucky 1lb...then back to a stall. It is a bit nerve wracking, but doing my best to deal with it. It has been helping me to occasionally test my urine for ketones...at least when the scale isn't moving the ketones mean I'm burning fat.

Thanks, it probably is a sign. Normally if a food makes me feel or become ill, I put it away for 2 weeks. Maybe I should do the same with extremely filling food.

I have been taking an eat-8-times-a-day approach. With the exception of the 2 times a day I have cottage cheese, my "meals" are usually no more than 2 oz (the cottage cheese is 1/2 cup which is about 4 oz). I get more full from the 3 - 2oz salmon "meals" every day that I do anything else (scrambled egg with cheese, cottage cheese, string cheese), but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Like the other said, I'd use the Protein shakes to get your Protein for now. I was just able to ditch them last Sunday when I was able to add in fish. That made me be able to get it all in from food, but it takes all day (usually 12-14 hours) of working at it to make it all happen.

Hang in there. You're doing great. The stall sucks, but it will pass. Mine did, and I know that yours will, too!

I am a little confused on what your concern is. I am 4.5 mths out and average 700 to 800 calories a day. I only track them out of curiosity. My plan calls for me to track Protein and liquid. Some days I can eat more than others. I still supplement with Protein because I can't eat enough solid protein.

Relax and follow your plan. Supplement when you need to. On days when you don't want to eat, be grateful and learn to eat to live. This is a lifelong journey now. Don't over stress.

I have been taking an eat-8-times-a-day approach. With the exception of the 2 times a day I have cottage cheese, my "meals" are usually no more than 2 oz (the cottage cheese is 1/2 cup which is about 4 oz). I get more full from the 3 - 2oz salmon "meals" every day that I do anything else (scrambled egg with cheese, cottage cheese, string cheese), but not to the point of being uncomfortable.

Like the other said, I'd use the Protein shakes to get your Protein for now. I was just able to ditch them last Sunday when I was able to add in fish. That made me be able to get it all in from food, but it takes all day (usually 12-14 hours) of working at it to make it all happen.

Hang in there. You're doing great. The stall sucks, but it will pass. Mine did, and I know that yours will, too!

Thank you!!!! I'm going to try maybe 6 times. So I can still get my drinking windows in. I also think I'll switch back to fish vs. pork or beef.

I am a little confused on what your concern is. I am 4.5 mths out and average 700 to 800 calories a day. I only track them out of curiosity. My plan calls for me to track Protein and liquid. Some days I can eat more than others. I still supplement with Protein because I can't eat enough solid protein.

Relax and follow your plan. Supplement when you need to. On days when you don't want to eat, be grateful and learn to eat to live. This is a lifelong journey now. Don't over stress.

My concern is not being able to eat enough and screwing my metabolism - my plan says 800 to 1000. So I just get nervous eating so little. I'm a very anxious person, so realize I'm probably worrying unnecessarily.

it's more important to get enough Protein that calories. Have you considered that your body is having g problems digesting beef? I read that chicken and fish digest better and so provide more Protein per oz.

Also, remember to take a good quality multi Vitamin plus Vit c for healing and Calcium for bones.

it's more important to get enough Protein that calories. Have you considered that your body is having g problems digesting beef? I read that chicken and fish digest better and so provide more Protein per oz.

Also, remember to take a good quality multi Vitamin plus Vit c for healing and Calcium for bones.

Thanks. I've got the Vitamins - although whoever said Celebrate soft chews taste like a starburst must have forgotten what starburst taste like. Lol!

Thanks. I've got the Vitamins - although whoever said Celebrate soft chews taste like a starburst must have forgotten what starburst taste like. Lol!
So true!!! They're awful! I have spent so much $ on gross vitamins! ????