Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fruit after bypass

Just wondering what everyone is eating for fruit after their bypass. I am about 3 months out and I eat about 3-5 strawberries a day sometimes or a apple with about 1 teaspoon of Peanut Butter. Is anyone eating anything like this? It doesn't hurt my stomach or anything.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

I was big with strawberries and Greek yogurt. It didn't cause me any issues with my RNY. The Greek yogurt helped with my Protein levels. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by BlueMoon~T

I eat berries with my Greek yogurt every day - have since I was first cleared to eat them (maybe a couple months out? I can't remember)

I'm 8 months out but since about 3 months out I've eaten all fruit; apples, watermelon, pineapple, mango, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, etc. In moderation of course but I love fruit and have it 4-5 times a week.

Just take it slow and see how your body reacts to each individual item. Some ppl can't do skins, they don't bother me. Others dump, so take it slow and enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cdeisroth

I eat fruit everyday and have since early on. pineapple, grapes (skin) and apples can be tough for me. I eat them, but I have to be very careful chewing, going very slow, and keeping it to a small portion.

Strawberries and blueberries I eat all the time with no problem.

I use bananas in my smoothies and to sweeten up steel cut oatmeal.

All of this is allowed per my plan. I know there have been heated debates about bananas on here, but I am approved to have them. I generally have half a banana a day.

Im 7.5 months out.

I eat berries with my Greek yogurt every day - have since I was first cleared to eat them (maybe a couple months out? I can't remember)

I'm 8 months out but since about 3 months out I've eaten all fruit; apples, watermelon, pineapple, mango, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, etc. In moderation of course but I love fruit and have it 4-5 times a week.

Just take it slow and see how your body reacts to each individual item. Some ppl can't do skins, they don't bother me. Others dump, so take it slow and enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my 6045O using the BariatricPal App

Yep, my plan says you can start adding small amounts of fruit in the purees stage. i have 1/2 banana a day.

I have been able to eat some fruits (like melon) since early days. Fruits with a fibrous skin like apples I couldn't manage the skins until end of month 3. Strawberries have always been a bit of hit and miss for me. Sometimes they are fine, other times they just don't stay down. I find bananas are hit and miss too ... sometimes I dump on them other times I don't.

Now we are moving to the soft summer fruits (in Australia) and I find I have no problems with mango and grapes. I am still waiting for nectarines to get to a reasonable price to try them. I am looking forward to cherries which usually come into the shops at the beginning of December (I will have to be extra careful not to accidentally swallow a cherry seed though).

The most surprising thing for me is that I have more problems with eggs, meat and fish than I do with fruit and vegetables. Grains and breads are just not edible at all ... which is no real loss for me since I have always loved my fruit and veg. Dairy can be hit or miss - some days I am lactose intolerant and some days I can eat it just fine.

I revised to RNY from VSG because of severe reflux. I'm 4 months post op. I eat berries every now and then, but I really can't eat any fruit. All fruit makes my heart beat like it's pounding out of my chest and I feel very sick. My surgeon said that that reaction should mellow with time, but at this point, I'd rather avoid the fruit than suffer the consequences.

I would try not to because they have little to no Protein. They are just added sugar and carbs. Once you get to a year + out you can add that stiff

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App