Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have noticed that soooo many people are having or have had the sleeve done vs RNY. Why is that? My doctor said i could do either one and i was leaning towards the RNY because i have trouble with gerd, i have at least 150lbs to lose and im about to turn 44. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago. One of the factors in my decision was the fact that I had severe acid reflux (GERD). Sleeve will only make this condition worse. Since surgery my GERD has been in remission. A couple of the other reasons why I choose RNY is because it is almost a gold standard. This type of surgery has been done for a number of years and they have worked the bugs out of it.

Originally I was going to get the sleeve and after meeting the surgeon learned that Gerd can sometimes become very severe after sleeve surgery. In fact, some end up with GERD after never having it before surgery and ultimately end up with a revision to RNY.

After doing some research on RNY and understanding all of the elements I went for it and have not regretted my decision to do so. It is still the gold standard in weight loss surgery. I lost all of my excess weight - 152Lbs.

I had severe gerd and was on max dosages for PPIs everyday. Since the day of my surgery i have not even had a slight case of heartburn. RNY literally cured my gerd, put my diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease into remission. Cleared up my high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cured my sleep apnea. NO MORE BIPAP for me.....

My goal was to get healthy.......I did not have any idea that I would actually get to a normal healthy weight. That was a plus!

I also chose RNY because it is the gold standard and proven results for decades. I also have problems for acid reflux. am on a PPI but I understand that is not unusual because sometimes it takes a while for your stomach to realize it doesn't need to produce at much acid because it is smaller.

thanks,

I had a sleeve last week and I chose this because it made sense to me to throw out that part of the stomach that I was no longer using. Plus I did not like the idea of moving my intestines around.

My surgeon told me that they are both equally as good and it was my preference. So after reading a bunch of things and chatting with my hubby, I now have a sleeve

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Originally I was going to get the sleeve and after meeting the surgeon learned that Gerd can sometimes become very severe after sleeve surgery. In fact, some end up with GERD after never having it before surgery and ultimately end up with a revision to RNY.

After doing some research on RNY and understanding all of the elements I went for it and have not regretted my decision to do so. It is still the gold standard in weight loss surgery. I lost all of my excess weight - 152Lbs.

I had severe gerd and was on max dosages for PPIs everyday. Since the day of my surgery i have not even had a slight case of heartburn. RNY literally cured my gerd, put my diabetes and stage 3 kidney disease into remission. Cleared up my high blood pressure and high cholesterol and cured my sleep apnea. NO MORE BIPAP for me.....

My goal was to get healthy.......I did not have any idea that I would actually get to a normal healthy weight. That was a plus!

Sorry, im still learning how to use this app. I was just going to say, that's awesome you dont have any of those health issues any longer. Do you have any photos of before n after?

I appreciate all the replies. I felt like RNY is the best choice as well and unless convinced otherwise, that's what i will have. But still, it seems like so many more people have chosen the sleeve. But acid reflux is seriously NO JOKE and anything that could make it worse i want to stay far away from.

Thanks everyone!!

If anyone wants to share B&A pictures, i need as much inspiration as i can get!!

most people seem to go with the sleeve because they feel it is less invasive and don't like the idea of having their intestines re-routed. But cutting out and throwing away half your stomach seems pretty drastic to me, too...

If you have GERD, you should strongly consider RNY. It cures GERD for most people. I used to have it every day, and since surgery 18 months ago, I've had it maybe five times. The sleeve can often make it worse - and I didn't want to risk that.

P.S. I've never regretted my RNY. I have lost 214 lbs and am within five pounds of a normal BMI.

I appreciate all the replies. I felt like RNY is the best choice as well and unless convinced otherwise, that's what i will have. But still, it seems like so many more people have chosen the sleeve. But acid reflux is seriously NO JOKE and anything that could make it worse i want to stay far away from.

Thanks everyone!!

If anyone wants to share B&A pictures, i need as much inspiration as i can get!!

Here is my before and 6 month post-op photo.

Operation.jpg

@@anywon

Just click on my photo and it will take you to my profile. I have had some plastics since the after pic was taken but have more coming so i have not updated and wont until sometime after my Tummy Tuck and breast lift with augmentation.

It has been alot of fun to get to goal. Now i just need to stay there which is much harder than i thought. I swear i keep gaining and losing the same 5 or 6 pounds for 6 months now.

I had the sleeve. I have had no real issues, my hubby had the bypass and he had a longer recovery. He lost weight faster than me at first, but now we're pretty much at the same rate. I take meds for other issues not related, the sleeve seems to not interfere with them at all. My hubby had to stop some meds like advil and it has been frustrating with his arthritis. Tylenol just doesnt do it for him. I honestly love my sleeve and am happy to have chosen it. But neither of us regret our choice to do this. The plus outweighs any negative.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I wasn't a candidate for the sleeve due to other health factors, bit if I did have a choice, would have still chosen bypass RNY.

LOVE the accountability of it, GERD resolution and weight loss.

If I'd had sleeve, don't know if I would have been as successful.

@@anywon If you already have trouble with GERD there's no way in this world I'd have VSG. I had VSG in 5/14. I developed GERD post surgery and had to convert to RNY on July 1. If I had GERD prior to making my decision, there would have been no decision to make. It would have been RNY all the way.

I was 100% successful with my sleeve, maintaining a 130lb loss. I don't believe that you lose less weight with the sleeve or that RNY is by default a better surgery. I will say that in certain circumstances, RNY is the better choice. One of those circumstances being suffering from GERD. If it wasn't for the GERD, I would still be a happy, successful sleever.

Edited by stacyrg2